Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been riding very long, but I want to know if the bike can handle it. Its bone stock. I got the SE cause I wanted the better shocks for jumping. Ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just dont want to crash, or miss a jump or something. I wonder if you can putt around one without everyone getting mad till you feel you can start hitting jumps. Whats the jump limit on a stock bike? One of the tracks around here as a 25 foot high table top and i dont think i have the testicles to even drive up that let alone jump it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
does the track have a set time for atvs or even beginner practice, If not ask the manager or owner if there is a way you can take a few laps alone to try it out and only do what you feel comfortable doing

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after a few runs with it I might give the mx track a try. We have some around here that I heard were easier than the one at the place I ride, so I will try those first. The place I ride has trails and an atv track as well as a super hard MX track. I guess I will stay off that one for now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i took it out on the most challenging track in 3 states. (so i was told). I only did two laps because it was a nerve racking experience. I could tell some of the jumps i was landing front first, and I was just trying to roll over the jumps. Some where very steep and very high. I am just not sure how to find out how my rappy will behave in the air. MX jumps seem alot different than regular jumps. Maybe they were set up for dirt bikes or something, i dont know. It also seemed very rough on the machine, I know its a trail quad and not a full race machine, but can it handle that type of riding? I didnt bottom it out but I dont want to tear it up either. Im just not sure if its safe to be doing that stuff, maybe I should get a dirt bike for the track and keep this for everything else. :confused:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I mx race mine. you just need more track time to get comfortable ridding and spend alittle time adjusting the shoks. I'm a 6'1 230 lb rider and it takes alot of abuse, with out any problems. I've landed really hard after coming up short on some big jumps and havn't broken anthing. The 700 can take just about anything you will dish out. Just keep practicing

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, thats good info. I weigh about 190. I have not played with the shocks at all. My biggest fear is there seems to be no middle ground on the jumps. You either have to roll over them or hit them hard and actually "make" the jump. I think its dangerous to just go a little faster from crawling because thats when I would nose over and get into trouble. Is there any way to practice without fully hitting the jump hard? Will my raptor tend to drop the back end off an MX jump? Is it worse to land with the back to low or the front to low? I am guessing I would rather have the front to high than not high enough.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Hey, these MX tracks are designed to be smooth at speed. Its alot "rougher" at slow speeds than at the speed its designed for- 3rd gear or top of 2nd at the slowest. I was in the same boat at the beginning...although I won 1st overall my first race, I was a nervous wreck the whole race believe me. What you need to understand is at any speed at any jump the quad will go that distance. I.E. if you are at the top of third you will clear most 45ft tabletops/doubles. If you can jump a 30ft table top you can jump a 30ft double....same jump, you just took dirt out of the middle of the table top to make the double...you dont look at whats in the middle of a jump, you look at were you are supposed to land. What helped me the most was one day I was able to practice with 3 semi-pros and just grit the teeth and gas it. They could jump this and that...so could I, you just had to trust your quad. The quadis whats jumping, your just along for the ride. Takes X amount of speed to go X amount of distance so just go out and learn ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats very inspiring Velociraptor, but I still owe 4k on my quad and dont need a broke neck. Thats about the only thing holding me back right now. I cant fix it if i break it and i dont want to stop riding cause I "had" to try the mx track. I am not scared of it, but I am nervous because I dont know how the quad will act. Jumps are different angles, different lengths, plus I have been told the track we have is very difficult and challenging. It has sent numerous people on a helicopter ride....
So basically you guys are saying to hit one fast one time and feel the difference. I have no idea what to do with the shocks either, would I want them harder or softer? Im just trying not to get myself killed dudes.

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Here's my personal opionion..... If you don't have money for medical bills/fixing a quad... stay away from an MX track then...... go out back, build some little jumps get your oohs and aahhhs out.. and call it a day.. but the reality of it is.. if your going to be MX'ing a quad. WHATEVER the brand.. its only a matter of when not if you are going to crash.. like this past summer, my bro was out 3 months for breaking his wrist in 3 places hitting a table top jump a little faster than he should have... my opinion is, you cant go out balls to the walls on an MX track without prior experience.. go out somewhere and find something to build on, get comfortable on the quad then see what it can do... or go to an mx track and stick to a nice table top, they are wonderful for learning on, and you can't make to many mistakes.... good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is no doubt that the 700r can take it but if you go out there worried about crashing you can forget putting on a good performance. Most tracks have practice days, talk to some local racers and find out when they are. Just practice being smooth first and the speed will come. I have jumped a 95 foot triples and a 110ft step ups numerous times without any trouble. You just have to grit your teeth ,because that is safer than closing your eyes, and try it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Should I get it wider and get aftermarket shocks first?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So since my front ones are based on yfz shocks cause I have the SE they should be all right? I dont know about tuning them or setting them up either, I'll probably just keep my stock settings.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've ridden mine on the track quite a bit and I agree, these guys have shed some good light. Learn to walk before you run! And make sure you have the right protective gear for your self :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.