Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everyone, i was just wondering if i should worry about my transmission. ive been riding on it everyweekend since summer time and it doesnt seem to have any problems... yet (knock on wood). the only thing i noticed is that when im drag raceing and im goin fast when i shift up from first to second i hit neutral sometimes but its not all the time. also i usually dont drag race anyway i ride fast open trails and i ride on a track sometimes thanks for looking

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The missed shifts may very well be from the sloppy stock shift linkage. I would get a direct shifter, refrain from leaving it in gear while towing or trying to loosen the front sprocket nut, and enjoy your raptor.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think 41%(correct me if I'm wrong) had bad trannys in them. as MAD Dog said, its the linkage, my 05 does shift to neutral from time to time. looks like you have nothing to worry about on this one, Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
my advice, get the parts when you have the money so it's on hand when it does break, because it will. then ride it till you break it, or have reason/time to tear it down.

i thought i was one of the lucky ones until it came apart on me in the middle of a lazy sunday ride. it was slightly wet and i was doing lazy drifts, slinging mud around, and it felt like it popped out of gear or broke the chain... but what broke was my tranny.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd say enjoy your Raptor. I have an 01 and I am part of the 41% of people surveyed that had problems with my tranny. Mine did not definitively break like shad0's did in the previous post. Mine slowly grew worse over time. Second gear would slip in and out when i was on the throttle because the engagement dogs were wearing down and eventually breaking off. There are pictures in a thread I started. The thread is called "Starting my rebuild (tranny)" if you want to search for it.

Again, I say enjoy your quad until you know it has a problem. Mine made it over 9 years without a problem.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Man, that thing is 10 years old. If it aint broke by now more than likely you got a good one. But that don't mean I wouldn't be piecing together spare parts in my free time..

·
Registered
131 Posts
@swiper: man every time i see your name, in my head i hear "swiper no swiping! swiper no swiping!! man... DORA THE EXPLORER!!!"...

sorry.. kids will twist your brain...

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I disagree nearly 100% with shad0 - The poll I ran a year ago showed pretty conclusively that 60% of 01 owners have NOT had any transmission problems at all... does he suggest that ALL of us buy $400+ worth of tranny parts to put on our bench just in case it fails sometime in the future? He must own stock in 'Raptor Trannies R-Us'...

Don't worry about it. Ride and ride hard... just treat your tranny with respect (as we all should anyway). Use the clutch when shifting and don't do things that will break any almost tranny eventually - like full throttle, clutchless speed shifting.

If it breaks, fix it... if it doesn't, you're part of the majority. I'm past 10 years with zero indication of any problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts
nearly 100%.. wow that's pretty strong... maybe i should explain my logic.

now, i'm not using any survey statistics. just what i've seen. and i probably haven't seen anywhere near as many as you. but every single 01 660 owner i know personally either had to fix it after it broke, or they did the conversion before it had a chance to. as for $400 worth of parts, i got my 02 tranny, used i grant you, off ebay for like $70. now, i haven't looked in over a year and a half now, but i bet they probably aren't on there all day every day for $70.. so if he happens to find one for $75 or $100, yea he probably should snag it... because, using statistics, it's heads he'll need it, tails he won't. but the chances of him having to pay $400 is alot higher if he needs the parts right now. having lasted this long is a poor indicator as well. mine let go in september of 09. 8.5 years into it's life. and i use the clutch for every shift, every time.

so no, i don't expect each and every 01 owner to run out and buy $400 worth of parts to put on your bench.. half of us already paid for the parts when it failed.. even more paid for them so they didn't have to worry about it... i would venture to say that over 60% of the 01 raptors out there aren't running an 01 tranny.. but if he can find $400 worth of parts for $75, why shouldn't he? he may very well be saving himself $325 in the long run, and be able to buy it when he has the money to, not when he's forced to because it broke.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
as for $400 worth of parts, i got my 02 tranny, used i grant you, off ebay for like $70.

so no, i don't expect each and every 01 owner (nor did I suggest this - only those who are still running 01 trannys)to run out and buy $400 worth of parts to put on your bench.. half of us already paid for the parts when it failed (actually only 34%).. i would venture to say that over 60% of the 01 raptors out there aren't running an 01 tranny.. (actually, 57% ARE) but if he can find $400 worth of parts for $75 , why shouldn't he (agreed)? he may very well be saving himself $325 in the long run, and be able to buy it when he has the money to, not when he's forced to because it broke.

The ALL of us that I alluded to were the 60%+ of 01 owners that have not yet had any tranny problems.

You stated that you didn't read the poll, so here are the true statistics...

From the poll, with around 160 responses, so it is statistically significant:

Approximately 34% of all 01 owners that responded HAD experienced transmission failure in their 01's...

About 9% had pro-actively replaced their tranny parts prior to any problems (so we'll never know whether they had to or not)

The remaining 57% HAVE NOT had any problems and ARE still running on their stock 01 trannies - contrary to your statement...

So, if you assume equivalent distribution of the pro-active owners, were at about 63% with no problems, 37% with. Not quite a coin toss.

Regarding cost - sure you can find used parts on eBay of varying cost (where $75 is likely to be the very cheapest, and likely not including all necessary parts), but many also choose the Yukon sets at $500 plus... so an average price of $350 to $400 is not too far off.

Sure, if you can find all you need for $75, even I would consider putting that in my spare parts bin for the future... but my main point is to just NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.

·
Registered
131 Posts
wow.. you're on one today huh.. ok.. just because i love being the devils advocate..

i would call a sampling of 160 owners significant if, say, a total of 300 were produced.. or 1600.. or even 3200.. that's just 5%... but, being as the poll was posted here, your statistics reflect raptorforum.com users, not an overall owner base... and we both know that more than 3200 of them were produced. btw, i was one of the 56.69% vote, i just searched the poll to make sure. so go ahead and adjust your numbers. my tranny has since failed.

now, you do recall the point where i said i don't know statistics and whatnot.. and the 60% i "spouted off" with was a random number based on absolutely no research. i pulled a number out of the air based on your 40%. of course, i was talking total owners, but even if you're number somehow held true across the owner base, that's 4 out of every 10 that has failed or been proactively been replaced.. using your numbers. so out of your sampling of 160 raptor owners, 54.4 of them actually experienced a failure. (55.4 if you count me, since i was previously a non-failure) actually had it happen to them. another 14.4 replaced the component before it had a chance to fail. and you call this a low likelyhood for failure? really??

now, you say your point was just not to worry about it. my point was to not obsess over it, but prepare for the eventuality. yea, i got lucky finding my complete 02 tranny at the price i did. forks, drums, everything in the transmission. and just about anybody can find one for that price if they have the money set aside to buy it when they find it, and the time to pass when a bidding war breaks out. more importantly, the time to stay away from the buy it now button. i believe in preperation. i carry a backpack in my car with a change of clothes and other items i may find myself wishing i had. i stock up on food and i keep a spare bolt and firing pin in the grip of my ar-15. and the chances of me ever needing any of that stuff is lower than 34.39% i'll tell you that..

ETA ah. you edited the way you phrased some things... btw, i never said i didn't read it... i voted in it... i said i wasn't using any survey statistics..

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I love both being and dealing with devil's advocates...

Since it is obvious that you don't understand statistical significance (the determination of reasonable approximation thru small sample sets), I'd suggest you check Wikipedia... I must use statistical sampling on a regular basis, and do understand it rather well.

Specifically, with a sample set of 100, we can have approximately 90% certainty with our conclusions, with a sample set of 400, 5%... since we're at 160, we can be fairly certain with random proportional sampling, that the error in this poll is no more than +- 7%. Hell, presidential elections are predicted with sample sets on the order of 1000... of course we know about a few serious debacles from this due to poor calculation of the error bars (Bush v Gore for one).

Not once did I say that there was a LOW likelihood of failure, please do not put incorrect words in my mouth... I have stated nothing but the numbers that were generated from the poll statistics. I do consider 37% to be rather a large number, and, as most of us would agree, SHOULD have been dealt with by Yamaha due to it's prevalence. That said, I'm still not worried about it.

And yes, I did edit some things that I thought were a bit too accusatory - we're not enemies here, we're just playing, as you said, devil's advocates for two side of the same issue. (and, if you noticed, I DID agree on putting some parts aside if you can find a deal).

·
Registered
131 Posts
i did notice that you agreed you'd buy them just-in-case if you found them that cheap.

i bow to your statistical superiority... lol. i don't use statistics in any meaningful way, so if you do, you are ahead of me and i'll have to accept your statements as truth.

my point to the OP was simply, when something is as likely to fail as an 01 raptor tranny, 1 out of 3 being pretty likely, it only makes sense to prepare for it and have a plan for if it happens. if his plan, like mine, was to worry about it if and when it happens, then more power to him and i'm not going to tell him to do different. he just has to be prepared to be on foot for a while until he find a deal he likes, or pay the buy it now price. but if he asks my advice, as he did with the OT, my advice is to prepare. even if he doesn't do the conversion until it breaks, knowing he has the parts at home to fix it and he doesn't have to worry about finding it and making room in the budget for it is a pretty bright silver lining on that shit-my-damn-tranny-blew-up dark cloud if it actually does happen.

since we're being honest and whatnot, don't think i am trying to downtalk you or anything. i'm not a major member here, but i have a great respect for your knowledge base. hell, you called my bent ball joint when i was still scratching my head.. but sometimes i just can't shut up, especially when i get the impression someone is looking for a good discussion.. lol

:beer:

ok, way too many typos in that one.. time for bed.. lol

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Hey, not to worry - I'm an engineer (an anal one at that), so when someone want's to argue numbers, the hair stands up on the back of my neck.

The O/P's question was, specifically, 'should I worry about it?'... this is something only he can determine for himself. I tried to give him some numbers to help him with his decision based upon some fact and you gave him some honest opinion. When all is said and done, he'll take the fact, opinion, rhetoric and other suggestions and come to a resolution that makes sense to him.

Bottom line, if one worries about it, plan ahead and if something happens you will be prepared. If one doesn't worry about it, may as well wait, it may never be necessary.

BUT, as I stand by my statistics, if I was in Vegas, I'd bet against his tranny failing. Not a large bet, though... :D

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
@swiper: man every time i see your name, in my head i hear "swiper no swiping! swiper no swiping!! man... DORA THE EXPLORER!!!"...

sorry.. kids will twist your brain...

lol yes they will. I got 2 little girls, I been hearing that for nearly 6 years now. lo

·
Registered
473 Posts
lol yes they will. I got 2 little girls, I been hearing that for nearly 6 years now. lo
I have fellow officer buddy thats last name is boots. All the other cops are always saying "Hey Boots wheres Dora." Don't know if that makes you feel any better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys im just gonna say screw ait and just ride it if it breaks it breaks. i think i may be part of the 60% that dont have problems because ive been riding it pretty hard for a while with no problems (knock on wood again )

·
Registered
131 Posts
cool.. you may very well be... ride that bitch like you stole it....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts