Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Im new here as you can tell(the s/n doent really fit here but I have the same screen name on all the car/truck boards im on to keep it simple for me) Im just getting into riding these past 2 years thanks to my fiance(Im more of a car/truck nut- but anything that goes fast on all 4 is cool with me) so my lingo and descriptions might be off, but im hoping you guys can help us out!

My fiance and I have a 03 Raptor 660(or should I say he has had the 660 since new and I have been wanting a quad for a long time-now hes frustrated/bored with it and announced he wants a new dirt bike, thus I inherit the 660...kinda a bit much for me, I was looking for a trailing 4x4 auto type quad- but his has all the good parts on it already so Ill learn to handle it!)...

Within the last year we have been having one hell of a problem with it- at high RPM it will just shut off, and as it slows it will start back up on its own...it usually takes awhile for the problem to appear, we have determined it has to have something to do with it being warm/hot(after MANY times of thinking its fixed and test riding it for 5 min with no problems, only to take it on a trip and 10mins into your first real ride the problem starts up again!!!!) and once it starts it only gets worse! It will do it at any rpm and just limping it back to camp is a bitch with it running then dying then running then dying!

Heres the lowdown on the bike- just about everthing has been modified except the motor(polished covers but thats it)...its stripped down to the basics-no key just an on off switch, no headlights/tailights, etc...

At first he thought it was a jetting issue, hes played with the jets and re-jetted it a few times to no avail...Then we thought it was a battery/connection issue-it hasnt had a battery hold down for years, thus it had kinda chewed up the harness by the battery-had a hold down made and tried to clean up the wires as best as possible-no improvement...We're finally sick of it and took it into the shop! Guy says he'll check it out...a few days later he calls and says there was a ton of salt found in the tank! SALT! (Now we do sometimes leave it tied down out on the truck but we live in a "safe neighborhood" and never really worried, but SALT? WTF!?!?) Local Retards dont even know how to mess things up right! Its sugar in the gas tanks you idiots! SUGAR! The guy at the shop even tasted it and swears its salt! Anyways...ok so were thinking "Thats it! that was the problem! cool its done!" WRONG AGAIN! Same [email protected]%&ing problem! So we take it back in to have the wiring harness checked out...guy says its too hacked up to mess with(fiance has added and removed things over the years and hes no electrical pro) Need a new wiring harness 350bucks+labor..."Thats got to fix it!" Took it out last week after waiting 3 weeks for a new harness, rides great for the first 10mins! Then it starts acting up again! [email protected]%!`&*!!!!! :eek: :'( :mad: :help:
Now the guys says its the ecu?/ecm?/?/(damn it-thats what its called on a car-I cant think of what the brain is called on a quad!sorry!) another 300+bill-great! But he said lots of raptors/banshees come it with that problem and its always the ecu(whatever its called)!!! Why didnt you tell us this the first times we brought it in! Now I dont know wether the guys is screwing us or not! I figured if this really is a common problem I should be able to go online and read about it on all the raptor forums...so far in my searches I have found nothing...

We're over 800 bucks and almost 2 years invested into this damn issue and getting reeeeeeal sick of it! I dont want to have to deal with these sort issues ontop of learning how to ride/handle this size quad, and we really dont want to have to sell it due to frustration!

Please any help/info would be much appreciated!
THANKS!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
That salt could have screwed the valving up on your floats. When running the motor real hard (full throttle) it will shut off after about 15-40 seconds if the float isn't opening the valving in the carbs right, after you give it a few seconds to let the carb fill up with gas, and give it a little gas while its still moving it'll start back up.... Because the float reacts to angles the bike may cut out on long steep inclines as well. But if it has this particular problem, it will run ok as long as the throttle isn't pegged either, (over 3/4 for a long period of time)....I would put this in front of checking the jetting...check the plug color as well, when you starve the motor for gas it will lean the mixture before it dies and make the engine look as if its very lean..(a whitish, gray or glazed plug would give direction to this is well). This is my suspicion, and may not be the problem, but I had similar problems with my bike after it took a tumble back down a steep hill. It knocked the floats out of wack...See what others have to say as well! good thing to get a list of possible problems...
...another thing before you do that..check and clean the air filter if you haven't already! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If the tank was loaded with salt was the petcock screen cleaned? Try pulling the gasline off and drain some fuel into a can, let it run for 30 seconds or so, should be a solid stream. Same can be done with the drains on the carbs.

And the ecm/ecu thingy your refering to, does cdi sound better?

Does the neutral light flicker?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I building a list of things to check!

firstraptor said:
If the tank was loaded with salt was the petcock screen cleaned? Try pulling the gasline off and drain some fuel into a can, let it run for 30 seconds or so, should be a solid stream. Same can be done with the drains on the carbs.

And the ecm/ecu thingy your refering to, does cdi sound better?

Does the neutral light flicker?
yes "cdi box" is the word I was looking for and of course it popped into my head as I hit the switch to shut off the computer! :banghead:

Dont know about the neutral light, the bike is stripped down to bare essentials- no indicator lights, no keys/ignition, no head/tail lights, plastics have been shaved down, not even any fender supports! Honestly I dont know what a stock Raptor comes with/should look like!?!? :3question:

thanks guys! keep the suggestions coming!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I think we finally fingered it out! We finally got it to cut out bad while our mechanic was riding it and he immedately said he thinks its the rev limiter for Reverse, he disconnected it and ran it again and nothing-no stutters or hicups! YAY! Runs great finally...BUT now my fiance is talking about selling it again :unsure: We need the money but damn its finally purfect!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts