Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get the Kenda Kutter tires and I was reading some place else that they recomeneded to grove the tires since it will give me more traction since the lugs are a little bigger and flater. So dose any one know how to do this and is it a good or bad idea? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
I wouldn't take your first crack at grooving on a brand new set of tires, and if you're new to the idea then I would suggest getting some tips/pointers from others with the same tire.

There are benefits, when done properly, that can improve traction (depending on the application) by reshaping the lugs or simply by removing excess material and weight.

Personally I don't care to do this for recreational riding, if the tire isn't good enough until I shave a good part of it away I would have rather simply bought a tire more suited to my needs.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks I'm not going to do any racing so I guess its not gonna matter much. I guess mabe when they get worn down I might think about it. Where do you get a groving kit and i've seen someone before with this hot iron thing squaring the lugs when the lugs started rounding its edges, is that similar to that?

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Ok thanks I'm not going to do any racing so I guess its not gonna matter much. I guess mabe when they get worn down I might think about it. Where do you get a groving kit and i've seen someone before with this hot iron thing squaring the lugs when the lugs started rounding its edges, is that similar to that?
Yup, that would be it. You can get them from most tire supply places and there are alot of them on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts