Raptor Forum banner

Do you think this quad newb has been dooped?!

• I'd say he was definitely taken to the cleaners.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don't think he did bad, but scary move.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Seems like an OK deal to me!

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new to 4 wheelers and just purchased a 2005 Raptor 350. I bought it knowing the engine was ticking (I drove 2 hours to go look at it and didn't know the engine was ticking or that is wasn't a 660 until I got there). Anyhow, it doesn't have any bootwear on the frame but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have about $400 in it for a new rotor and brakes and fixing the valves (hope that's what it is). I don't think this kid took very good care of it. I know that it books for 1740-2140 on NADA and I paid $1550 for it. What do you think? Would you just fix the valves and throw brake pads on it and sell it for something else? Or would you keep it. Also, I am 6'4 and 230 lbs but it seemed to pull me around just fine when I rode it. I just wanted something so bad and everything in my local area was either 3k+ or it was torn up beyond belief.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Hello everyone. I am new to 4 wheelers and just purchased a 2005 Raptor 350. I bought it knowing the engine was ticking (I drove 2 hours to go look at it and didn't know the engine was ticking or that is wasn't a 660 until I got there). Anyhow, it doesn't have any bootwear on the frame but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have about $400 in it for a new rotor and brakes and fixing the valves (hope that's what it is). I don't think this kid took very good care of it. I know that it books for 1740-2140 on NADA and I paid $1550 for it. What do you think? Would you just fix the valves and throw brake pads on it and sell it for something else? Or would you keep it. Also, I am 6'4 and 230 lbs but it seemed to pull me around just fine when I rode it. I just wanted something so bad and everything in my local area was either 3k+ or it was torn up beyond belief.

If your 6'4 230 lbs then sell it immediately and buy your self a raptor 700r its literally twice the bike and its built for us big boys im 6'1 260lbs. Being able to to do 75 mph on an efi bike is awesome.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Find what's really wrong (if anything) before assuming it needs significant work... you may have got a very nice deal!

Ticking could be as simple as a valve adjustment (1/2 hour of your own labor).

How does it run/ride? As a noob, you will enjoy it for a while, but due to your size/age you will likely want to graduate to something bigger in a year or two (a 660 or 700 would be recommeded by a lot of us)- in the mean time, have fun with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it seems to run fine, its just the ticking noise. I'm getting married in a few weeks and am working on my MBA so I dropped it off at the shop today to have it gone through. I don't have much time to learn how to work on it just yet. They are just going to service it and check the ticking/valves. When I rode it for just a couple of minutes it seemed to run great. I know it's not a 660/700 but I only had a budget of 2k so I went with it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
A 660 is in ur 2k budget easy

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You got an OK deal it seems but then again, you are pretty large for such a small machine. All depends on what your expectations are.. I mean, 20 years ago a 350 was a big bore machine and people were bragging about 'em so it's all in your head :p

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
What made you think it was a 660 if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What made you think it was a 660 if you don't mind me asking?
I honestly don't have a clue. I called the guy over a dirtbike and he was like, "Well I sold the dirtbike already but I do have a nice raptor I haven't listed yet." I told him about an 02 raptor that my buddy in high school broke his neck on because he didn't respect it and he was like, "ya they are pretty fast. I just let my boy ride the 98 warrior we bought this year. I'm not sure I want him on the raptor." I never asked the size, and he never told me, until he showed me the title. That's how ignorant I was when I went to look at this thing. I felt (still feel) like a total idiot!

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
As long as he didn't tell you it was a 660, lol. Because I would be pissed about that! I say as long as you like it, and have a blast on it, then it doesn't matter what size it is. At the very least, it will hold you over until you get a 660 or 700! Plus, you could always give it to your wife down the road when you get something different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I wanted to be mad at the guy, but I sat there and couldn't find one reason that it was really his fault. I went ahead and bought it and thought I would just give it a try. I know a guy who weighed at least my weight (230) and had a Warrior back in high school and just loved the thing. He rode the heck out of it all through high school. I just told myself I would have fun on it and kind of wanted my search to be over so I loader her up and brought it home. I wouldn't say I've had buyers remorse because I'm very excited to ride this weekend, but I've been wondering non-stop if I made the best decision... all in all as long as they fix the engine noise and get it tip top for me for less than $400 I won't feel like I got ripped off. I figure kinda like you're saying that I can always give it to my wife next year and get something bigger. Can't hurt to have two of them! (too bad she doesn't feel the same way just yet)

·
Registered
34 Posts
For what it's worth,i picked up an 04 Raptor 350 for my son last Summer for $1500 dollars and after checking it out more in details,i realized it was a piece of s**t ...
All three brake discs were finished,pads,rear hub,the friggin axle nut was welded to the axle,handle bars and left side outer tie rod were bent,muffler was rusted through,etc ...

The seller was a douche bag and the quad was conveniently covered in mud when we went to look at it,he said he took it for one last ride and didn't have time to clean it !
Motor was solid though,no smoke and great compression,cam chain recently replaced by dealer which helped in the decision to buy it ...
Still doesn't burn any oil and no valvetrain noise !

Anyhow,after close to $2000. in performance upgrades and replacement parts,the quad is better than new and definitely a performer now,it came out to what clean looking stock 04-05 350 Raptors sell for in Quebec,which is $3500/3800.00 dollars !

It all depends on how you look at things in the long run ...

Cheers !
Phil

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Back in the day a 350 Warrior was a good ride I'm sure they still are....If nothing else fix it up and let your wife ride it when you get ready to upgrade at your size you will probably out grow it pretty quick..

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I would fix the engine, and clean it up super good. Then list it for $2,250 and you might get $2,000 to buy a 660. I am 5'6" 120lbs and got my Raptor about a year ago and I want a YFZ.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
I would ride it for a while after its fixed, get use to riding again. See if the wife wants to learn to ride. If she likes it, give it to her and by a 600 or 700. Anyway have fun with your raptor. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the input guys. I think I am just going to get it all fixed up and just ride it until it sells. Maybe I'll throw it on craigslist and ebay classifieds and just keep riding it. I'm pretty hopeful that it's just the valves but I don't know. There isn't any bootwear on the frame so I keep thinking the kid must've never put oil in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK Update:

I talked to the service manager at the dealer today. He said he serviced it, fixed the engine noise, and installed a new rear rotor and brakes. The brake sliders were stuck in a "braked" position, which wore the brakes down to nothing and then warped the rotor. He said it didn't look like the valves had been adjusted... ever. Oh, and the final bill is for $370. I feel like $320 would have been better :)

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Glad it's fixed for you man! Now go tear her up!!!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You didn't get to bad of a deal. If you plan on just playing around with it, enjoy it. I still have fun on my wife's 350. It isn't that quick , but still fun to play around on, but than I can't wait to jump on my 700. Good luck with your choices.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
I figure kinda like you're saying that I can always give it to my wife next year and get something bigger. Can't hurt to have two of them! (too bad she doesn't feel the same way just yet)
I started out this way, and now have 4! Always seemed to be too many friends out with us and too few rides...

You should be perfectly happy with your current bike for a while... when it's time to move up, you'll know - just get her on it a few times and I'll bet her feelings will change.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts