Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so without much knowledge of tires I bought a set of 20x10x10 8 paddel haulers off of cragslist. They did ok for learning, but now I am certain they are just not enough. I need something that is going to keep me afloat more. I dig in to easily. I have Barkers, FCI intake, and PC5, with a 15 tooth sprocket, stage 3 cam soon to come.

A friend of mine is Recommending Ultra Light 22" paddels, either 10 or 12 paddel. I noticed several people at the dunes this weekend running 22" tires, even a stock rappy. They ranged from 9 paddel to 12 paddel. Anyone have recomendations? Tell what you run.. and WHY?

At this exact moment, I'm leaning toward 22"x10x10 10 Paddel Extreme haulers.. Should I go with more? Would it rob my horsepower? I'm already having problems with the 15 tooth sprocket making my 5th gear useless.. no power to turn it. I dont want to lose more power, but I need to be afloat more to be able to make it up some hills better!

I want to hear everyones opinions on tires and what the reason for it.. also your mods to push those tires, and how it affects your overall.. hill cimbs, top speed..a ll that!

·
Dr Dune
208 Posts
Ultralights are a great way to go, much better than the standard option. However, you don't have the power to turn 22" 10-12 paddle Haulers or Extremes with the Big 3. People will come here saying they "have that combo and they work great", but its overkill for a stock, or Big 3 bike. 8/9 paddle Hauler will give you everything you need out of the hole, and wont hurt your top speed like 10-12's.

For reference, on Banshee hill at Dumont, I tried a set of 22-11-8 10 paddle Extremes back when I had a stockbore build, and was 3 bike lengths faster with the 22-11-8 8 paddle Haulers I currently have. JMO.

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much HorsePower do I need to be running 22" 10 paddles? The guy I saw this weekend was on an almost stock rappy running that, he made it up every hill that I couldn't! I think the size of my 8 paddles just isn't good enough. It's spinning me in without keeping me afloat at all on technical hills. I'm at 52.61 HP and 44.90 Torque.. Not bad for just a big 3 set up. Where should I be on HP to keep the 15 tooth, and be able to go 22" 10 paddle and use all of my gears?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
When my raptor was a big 3, I ran 22" 8 paddle haulers and it was by far the fastest 3 mod raptor out of all of the guys I raced with different setups, beat quite a few 700's with more mods too (and I was bigger than most if not everybody I raced)

I ran a 15t sprocket on the front, and that was the right setup for silver lake, out west with the bigger hills, you may be better off with the 14t like mentioned. My 22's actually only measured 21", so that may have had something to do with the 15t working so well...just depends on thr overall actual tire size.

10 paddles or more will be major overkill for you...just too much paddle.

·
Dr Dune
208 Posts
How much HorsePower do I need to be running 22" 10 paddles? The guy I saw this weekend was on an almost stock rappy running that, he made it up every hill that I couldn't! I think the size of my 8 paddles just isn't good enough. It's spinning me in without keeping me afloat at all on technical hills. I'm at 52.61 HP and 44.90 Torque.. Not bad for just a big 3 set up. Where should I be on HP to keep the 15 tooth, and be able to go 22" 10 paddle and use all of my gears?
Its not the fact that you had 8 paddles, its the fact that you're running a 20" tire. Raptors need at least a 21", most prefer a 22". 20-10-10 is not a good size for a Raptor, no matter what the build.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So running the big 3, everyone is recommending a 22x10 11. Is that the best to go for? Or any other size recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Your 10" wheels are a huge part of your floatation issue as well and I wouldn't want the weight of 22" extremes on a 10" wheel if you're hill climbing on a 3 mod.

I did the same thing, bought 20x10-10 extremes with lots of paddles. Had plenty of power to turn them but not enough floatation. It's a common first step to buy a 20" paddle on stock or 10" wheels, then people run them and talk to other people, and the tire people usually end up buying second, and then over and over again is the 22x12-8.

Ultralight means they shave the tire from bead to bead to save weight. Great to keep rotating mass down but not very good for holding air for long periods of time, or sticks, or rocks, or gravel parking lots, or jumps, or accidental excursions down sand bowls or cliffs you didn't know where there. Unless you're drag racing you're probably going to be just as happy with a a set of standard buff (they're calling it ruff now for some reason) haulers or extremes. As for paddle count that's more tied to power, rider weight, sand type and whether you're hill climbing, drag racing or just duning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, so without much knowledge of tires I bought a set of 20x10x10 8 paddel haulers off of cragslist. They did ok for learning, but now I am certain they are just not enough. I need something that is going to keep me afloat more. I dig in to easily. I have Barkers, FCI intake, and PC5, with a 15 tooth sprocket, stage 3 cam soon to come.

A friend of mine is Recommending Ultra Light 22" paddels, either 10 or 12 paddel. I noticed several people at the dunes this weekend running 22" tires, even a stock rappy. They ranged from 9 paddel to 12 paddel. Anyone have recomendations? Tell what you run.. and WHY?

At this exact moment, I'm leaning toward 22"x10x10 10 Paddel Extreme haulers.. Should I go with more? Would it rob my horsepower? I'm already having problems with the 15 tooth sprocket making my 5th gear useless.. no power to turn it. I dont want to lose more power, but I need to be afloat more to be able to make it up some hills better!

I want to hear everyones opinions on tires and what the reason for it.. also your mods to push those tires, and how it affects your overall.. hill cimbs, top speed..a ll that!
i defiantly get 22" 9 paddle, for me id probably go up a tooth on the rear sprocket or go down to a 14 or 13 on the front, i run a 13t front and stock rear. and i am usually in 3rd gear on the trails and cruising in 4th or 5th and still have enough power to roll into the throttle

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
I would suggest you get rid of those 10” wheels as that’s truely what’s causing trouble. As far as super light tires, sls as skat trak calls them, they are light but can be damaged easily from trees and rocks. I usually go for the bead to bead buff for duner tires as you save weight and also get a taller tire that’s reasonably robust.

For size, the common ones are 22-11-8 and 21-12-8. Currently the 21” carcass ranges from 67-70” around whereas the 22” carcasses have been 73-75” around.

Now given all that information comes the question, how long is your swingarm?
If extended 4” or more, I would go for 22-11-8 8 or 9 extreme. If stock, I would go for 21-12-8 8 extreme.
Either of those combinations would gain floatation and allow you to make use of your 15tooth sprocket with current mods. If you plan to stay at your power level, get the 8s. If you think you may add Compression/throttle body/porting go with the 9s.
I suggest extremes over haulers simply because I’ve seen too many hauler paddles rip off the carcass.
Keep in mind, 5th gear is not one that should really be used outside of cruising on flat. Get set up to spend 90% of your time in 2-3-4. May need to go to a 39 or 40 tooth rear sprocket to find the sweet spot.

One of my previous builds was monster/fci/pc5/hotcam3/+3tb and a +4 swingarm. That setup really liked 21–12-8 9extremes.
At 82hp, 734cc/monster/54tb/+2head +8” swingarm, the 22-11-8 12 extremes did very well. I tried 14 extremes on that same build and it was too much.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
To run 22-11-8 10extremes with your gearing, you should be into the mid 60hp range at least. That being said, the 22-11-8 9 paddles would still work well at that level even up near 70hp.
The main point is you need an 8” wheel to get the float you’re after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts