Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I need some help to find a replacement part for my GYTR frame skid plate. I hit a BIG ass rock today that dented my frame skid plate big time! It pulled it about 2" from the frame on the right side. Once I stopped to look at it closer, I noticed that the C clamp that holds the skid plate to the frame was gone! I have looked all over and can't find just the Clamp and bolt. Does anyone know were I can get one. I will call Yamaha Monday to see if they sell just that part.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
StuntPunkJames said:
if they cant get you one I have a spare ill give to ya :thumbsup:
SPJ

Thanks for the offer. I will let you know something soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Skid plates are worth it, no? :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Headrope said:
Skid plates are worth it, no? :thumbsup:
Hell yea.....man if I hit that rock with out one! :eek: It would have been new motor case time! :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
man, if you spend thousands on the bike, your stupid not to have skids on it to protect your investment. glad you didnt crack the case man. skids were worth there money huh. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
if you have a GYT-R skid they should be able to order you a clamp for it. Have you talked to the dealer yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
What I don't get is why the skid plate isn't on the Rappy right from the factory! Everyone knows it's crazy to ride without one, and I'm sure Yamaha knows it too. It just doesn't make sense. :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Curly said:
What I don't get is why the skid plate isn't on the Rappy right from the factory! Everyone knows it's crazy to ride without one, and I'm sure Yamaha knows it too. It just doesn't make sense. :crazy:
thats one of the ways they make there money
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Thats one of the first things I bought for mine was full skids and A arm guards (those came in handy already) I just wouldnt feel comfortable riding without the added protection
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
btac said:
Curly said:
What I don't get is why the skid plate isn't on the Rappy right from the factory! Everyone knows it's crazy to ride without one, and I'm sure Yamaha knows it too. It just doesn't make sense. :crazy:
thats one of the ways they make there money
Right. How much could it cost to make these things? $10 tops?
Dealer markup has to be huge, hell, my dealer offered me 25% off without any haggeling. Dealers don't have a whole lot of profit margin on the quad, they have to make money somehow. Accessories are key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
How thick does the swingarm skid need to be? I bent a brake disk through the stock plastic one already, and I noticed PRM sells .190 and .250 is there any reason not to get the beefier plate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate for a moment...if you ride in sand, there's no need for skid plates. Since Yamaha doesn't know your intended riding, why put them on every quad, only to have 1/2 of them yanked off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
gettinfaster said:
How thick does the swingarm skid need to be? I bent a brake disk through the stock plastic one already, and I noticed PRM sells .190 and .250 is there any reason not to get the beefier plate?
where I ride the swingarm skid takes the most beating, I have even bent a few aftermarket ones in my time so i always go with the thickest one they have available. I would much rather be safe then sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
ChiknNutz said:
I'll play devil's advocate for a moment...if you ride in sand, there's no need for skid plates. Since Yamaha doesn't know your intended riding, why put them on every quad, only to have 1/2 of them yanked off?
I have to Agree ChicknNutz, I ride the Sand..So one isnt needed.
I agree if your Rippin it up where theres Rocks The Armour is worth the Extra Weight.
Glad to hear you had the protection on Yours

Robe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,446 Posts
ROBE said:
ChiknNutz said:
I'll play devil's advocate for a moment...if you ride in sand, there's no need for skid plates. Since Yamaha doesn't know your intended riding, why put them on every quad, only to have 1/2 of them yanked off?
I have to Agree ChicknNutz, I ride the Sand..So one isnt needed.
I agree if your Rippin it up where theres Rocks The Armour is worth the Extra Weight.
Glad to hear you had the protection on Yours

Robe
Most of these are aluminum and weigh ounces more than the plastic thing. Not sure why everyone thinks they are sooo heavy. I could see the concerns if you were into competitive dragging, but for the average joe the weight difference is negligible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
I agree with that too. I've not yet rode in the sand, but I've been told the skids load up with sand and that is why you don't want them then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,446 Posts
I ride my bike in everything sand, snow, and mountains. My favorite place to ride is the dunes and I have not had problem. If the sand is not blowing off then you are just not going fast enough :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
T-Dog said:
Ok....I need some help to find a replacement part for my GYTR frame skid plate. I hit a BIG ass rock today that dented my frame skid plate big time! It pulled it about 2" from the frame on the right side. Once I stopped to look at it closer, I noticed that the C clamp that holds the skid plate to the frame was gone! I have looked all over and can't find just the Clamp and bolt. Does anyone know were I can get one. I will call Yamaha Monday to see if they sell just that part.

Thanks
I make them here at my shop...How many do you need? PM me and send me your address. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top