Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already bought +2 a-arms and was looking into skid-plates. I was wondering if my skid-plates needed to be bigger since I'm getting +2 a-arms or will Yamaha's do?

Erik

·
Registered
226 Posts
I dont think the GYT-R A-Arm plates would fit your setup. Im pretty sure they are just for the stock length A-Arms. I'm not sure of any other manufacturer that makes skids for 2+ AArms.... :3question:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Skid-plates for +2 A-arms (Edit: need help please!!)

I accept the fact no one came up with an answer YET but hmm there's gotta be some skid-plates large enough? Skid plates are meant to protect a-arms... if someone wants to protect their stock a-arm, doesn't it make sense if they upgrade to a more expensive setup they can protect that as well? So far, out of the sites I checked out that were selling a-arm setups, none of them sold skid-plates made for them. Hopefully the bump on this topic will get more replies.

Erik

R.I.P dad: 11th of June 2005

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Check out a local sheet metal fab shop. Just take them your arms and your skids, they might be able to fab you a set that will let you use the old hardware. A arm skids are very simple and basic in design, and should be easy to fab, probably cheeper than buying a name brand.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
i've never seen +2 a arms with a arm guards, i was wondering the same thing and it makes sence, what if your a hard core trail rider and want that protection on your new investment, ..yeah, custom would kick assss, look great and be the only 1 with that design,.... good luck, let us know what you come up with...if i ever see any i'll let you know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
guam you pretty much hit the nail on the head.your gonna have to make them or find someone local to make them. A buddy of mine picked up a set of houser arms for his honda. We both looked every where for extended arm skids for like a month and a half. When i finally got tired of hearing him bitching and complaining about the extended a-arm skid plate consiracy therory. (""The aftermaket companies dont make them cuz they want you to jack your high dollar arms up and buy new ones."") I dusted off the break and bent him up some new ones out of stainless. I made a template from the oem ones. then modifing the template to fit the new arms them to the new arms. and just like guam said reuse the old hardware. we used some AN-12 clamps instead. I dont have pics, but if I ever get done with my current project. my next project is a Ti subframe and full Ti skids. And I'll have pic's of that project

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm with RED HORSE here in guam we are curently building three 150'x100' concrete tilt up buildings which are the first of our units new compound. When finished we will have a full sheet metal/welding/fab shop.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I'm not sure if you bought some alreay, but I wouldn't if you already scuffed up the new +2 arms.. The skids will hold water and dirt and rust your investment really quick...

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I saw someone mention getting thick flexible plastic tubing and slicing it down the middle and wrapping it around the tubing and zipp tie it. This acts as a skid plate. Not sure though I haven't tried it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts