Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST GOT A RAPTOR 700 AND I SEE EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM HAS AFTERMARKET SKID PLATES. I SEE MINE CAME WITH THEM FOR THE ENGINE AND REAR. IS THERE A REASON WHY EVERYONE CHANGES THEM?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes just like rock paper scissors, rock owns plastic. :help:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Diddly said:
Yes just like rock paper scissors, rock owns plastic. :help:
:grin_nod:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I left the stock ones one and for the trails I ride i didnt have a problem with them until i went riding in the coal mines and came home with a bent rotor from the rocky area. I went through a set of pads till i realized the rotor was bent and i could see on the plastic skid plate where it hit the rotor. Now I have a prm skid plate (.250) under the swingarm and it has kept them mean rocks away from the rotor.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think aluminum skids are a necessity - better to spend some money now than a lot later on a bent a-arm, dented frame or smashed swing arm/busted rear shock/busted rear rotor.
But it really depends on how heavy you are, where you ride and how you ride. Aluminum skid plates probably aren't necessary if you are only ever going to ride on sand (((edit))) although the sand will work away the paint on the underside of the quad over time, so skid plates might even be helpful there too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts