Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about possibly getting skid plates for my raptor. However I am wondering if the A-Arm skids are different for the long travel A-Arms? I am assuming that if I got them that they wouldn't fit due to them having the jog 1/2 way down.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Most people make there own. Make it from cardboard then make it from Aluminium. I bet it wouldn't be to hard

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Most people make there own. Make it from cardboard then make it from Aluminium. I bet it wouldn't be to hard
Why would you make them from cardboard and then again in aluminum, The card board skid plates wouldnt last long............:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do most people attach them then? Use another plate of aluminum on the other side of the A-Arm and a bolt through both? What is the best thickness? 1/8" for the A-Arms and 3/16" for the chasis?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
How do most people attach them then? Use another plate of aluminum on the other side of the A-Arm and a bolt through both? What is the best thickness? 1/8" for the A-Arms and 3/16" for the chasis?
1/8 on the a arms and 3/16 or 1:4 under the chassis...... I clamped the a arm skids on........

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
You may try looking for a used set of good quality A arm skids then take them to a metal fab shop and have them flatten the the bend on the trailing side of each skid plate. Then take it home fit it to your +1 or +2 arms and use a sharpie marker to draw a new bend line. That's what I did with a set of GYTR skids I bought used for around 25. They turned out pretty good even if they don't go all the way up to the frame where the arms bolt up.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok. I have access to press breaks at the shop I work at just didn't know the best route to go. I know that if you bend aluminum back 9 times out of 10 it will end up cracking. I guess I'll try anything once and if it breaks then I can just use the mounting hardware from them.

Are the 700 skid plates the same as the 660's? I saw one set on ebay that said it would fit Raptor 700 or 660

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Ok. I have access to press breaks at the shop I work at just didn't know the best route to go. I know that if you bend aluminum back 9 times out of 10 it will end up cracking. I guess I'll try anything once and if it breaks then I can just use the mounting hardware from them.

Are the 700 skid plates the same as the 660's? I saw one set on ebay that said it would fit Raptor 700 or 660
I'm sure the 700 skids won't be a perfect fit on a 660 but again, if they are good quality heavy skids you won't have any trouble bending them flat and rebending. I did it on the GYTR skids and they look great and have held up for over 40 hrs of woods riding (I may not be so lucky the 2nd time)...
I believe a few of the mounting clamps were missing on the GYTR set so I called ITP and PRo armor and ask them for mounting hardware. One of them sold me a set of 3 or maybe 6 for not to much and the other gave me one or two free I believe. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts