Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm racing cross country and would like to have some type of slipper clutch. My riding style is to hit the straight aways hard and fast then slam on the back brakes pitch the bike into the corner and then gas on it coming out of the corner. I've heard that a slipper clutch will let you do this with out touching the clutch lever and want stall the bike. Any one have one, and if so what kind and how do you like it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
the reason for a slipper clutch is so the back wheels don’t lock up. they are used on racing motorcycles. i see no need for it on a quad. just rev the bike to match wheel speed on the down shifts

edit* what happens when you come hot into the corner and you downshift and just let go of the clutch the engine isn’t revving high enough for the speed of the back wheels...so they lock for a second while the engine catches up and the wheels slow down. the slipper clutch limits power from the wheels to the engine. I.E. so they don’t lock up. It does not limit power from the engine to the wheels. i hear people all the time saying a slipper clutch will limit your wheeling ability. which isn’t true

your locking the brakes up yourself using the rear break. not by droping the clutch. i dont see anything wrong with what your doing or why you should change it

·
Registered
767 Posts
t_r_h said:
I saw something about the Rekluse clutch on Dirt Bike TV.
It soundslike what you're looking for, but I don't think they make one for the Raptor yet.
I had a Rekluse in my KTM, was a godsend in the really tight gnarly stuff. Revloc makes one for the Raptor 700.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had no idea anyone else made those autoclutch kits.

I asked my wife if she would ride my Raptor if it had a Z-Start in it. She said 'maybe', so maybe we'll have another Raptor in the family sometime in the near future. :wootwoot:

·
Registered
684 Posts
orion said:
sparky yfz said:
It is harder to ride a wheelie with a slipper because you loose some compression braking.

what does compression braking have to do with wheelies?

Because when you are riding a wheelie and the front gets to high you can let off the throtle and the front will come down, with a slipper clutch it does not react the same way. I have had slippers in my 525XC, and my WR 450 and it does change the way you ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
sparky yfz said:
orion said:
sparky yfz said:
It is harder to ride a wheelie with a slipper because you loose some compression braking.

what does compression braking have to do with wheelies?

Because when you are riding a wheelie and the front gets to high you can let off the throtle and the front will come down, with a slipper clutch it does not react the same way. I have had slippers in my 525XC, and my WR 450 and it does change the way you ride.
well i dont know about dirt bikes but my r6 and my buddies r6 with a slipper feels no differnet when you wheelie it. except it take a little more gas to get his up because of the power band.

also i didnt relize he was talking about the Rekluse. thought he was talking about what is being put in sportbikes

·
Registered
684 Posts
There are slipper clutches $$$$$$ and there are wannabe slipper clutches (cheap)

I put a rekluse in my buddy's wr 450 and it seems to work good in the real tight stuff but I rather have the control of the clutch. Maybe its because I used to ride trials bikes and you alwys need the clutch.

Im not saying its bad its just diffrent and if you like it thats great go with it. Dont take what I say or anybody elses opinion as gospel try to find one like what you want and ride it and then make your choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.