Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Fill it. Take a spray bottle with H2O, and spray tire as you rotate it. Of course with the front end lifted. If you run across air bubbles forming, you found your hole. Plug it right away. If you can't find damage on the broad side or sidewall of the tire, check the valve stem. You could always add fix a flat or slime... just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Don't use slime or similar products, they most of the time don't work and leave an AWFUL mess for the next guy who is going to change the tire. I've heard that some of these products eat through rims too, but I haven't seen it myself.

All tire leaks can be fixed with plugs (rope-like material that has tar on them) unless the problem is at the bead. If the issue is at the bead, removing the tire, cleaning it and rebeading them will usually do the trick... If not, you most likely have a tire that will never bead well, or a rim that is deformed. In either case, there is a host of products you can use to stick the tire to the rim, helping it seal it's bead. I would recommend Permatex "The Right Stuff". Just put a bead of that around the tire before it sticks to the rim and you'll never have a bead leak again.

In either case as it's already been said, a squirt bottle with water (I also like to use a bit of liquid dish washing soap) and a lot of air in the tire (get it to say 15 psi) will let you find any and all leaks the tire might have.

Check the valve as well, the leak could come from there!

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Don't use slime or similar products, they most of the time don't work and leave an AWFUL mess for the next guy who is going to change the tire. I've heard that some of these products eat through rims too, but I haven't seen it myself.

All tire leaks can be fixed with plugs (rope-like material that has tar on them) unless the problem is at the bead. If the issue is at the bead, removing the tire, cleaning it and rebeading them will usually do the trick... If not, you most likely have a tire that will never bead well, or a rim that is deformed. In either case, there is a host of products you can use to stick the tire to the rim, helping it seal it's bead. I would recommend Permatex "The Right Stuff". Just put a bead of that around the tire before it sticks to the rim and you'll never have a bead leak again.

In either case as it's already been said, a squirt bottle with water (I also like to use a bit of liquid dish washing soap) and a lot of air in the tire (t get it to say 15 psi) will let you find any and all leaks the tire might have.

Check the valve as well, the leak could come from there!

Well said Qc...+1

Slime :thumbsup:
Boooo...slime is evil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts