Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, everyone. i am currently upgrading to 09 yfz 450r from raptor 700r and am thinking about giving to wife (she currently rides raptor 250 and is 5'2 105 lbs.) anyone know if raptor 700's suspension can be set up for that light of a rider and work well? also, anyone know if power commander on 700r can be used to make 1st gear less likely to stall in the very slow tight stuff or is there some other mod that may do this flywheel weight or sprocket change? thanks for any responses.

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are you really sure you want to switch? I don't know how much research you have done on these two machines but, IMO you are making a big mustake.
I ride with 4 guys all the time that have 450"s and I'm glad I have a Raptor. And after riding with them for about 2 years two of them are taking a better look at the raptor, I don't know if they are going to switch but they are not giving me anymore crap about buying a Raptor. And after upgrading to a comparable cam and piston to the 450, They are going to be eatting dust, water, mad, and sand all day long, and after doing mods the Raptor is still more reliable.
Not trying to afend you, I just think down the road you will be sorry.
Oh ya, and your wife, even at a 105 lbs will do great on the Raptor 700. If she wants to ride slow she can , If she wants to hual ass she will have to power to do so.
I have seen several little kids at the dunes that ride 700 she will do fine.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
hi, everyone. i am currently upgrading to 09 yfz 450r from raptor 700r and am thinking about giving to wife (she currently rides raptor 250 and is 5'2 105 lbs.) anyone know if raptor 700's suspension can be set up for that light of a rider and work well? also, anyone know if power commander on 700r can be used to make 1st gear less likely to stall in the very slow tight stuff or is there some other mod that may do this flywheel weight or sprocket change? thanks for any responses.
It's definetly going to be a downgrade from the 700. Unless you are on an mx track and or jumping super high. I think you should just keep'em both.
As for your old lady ridin it. Well all i can say is make sure to dial in the suspension as close as you can to match her body weight using these techniques http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9697&highlight=just+brought+her+home
And i just wanted to add that i saw a 65yr. old lady riding a 700r. And she loved it. Apparently her and her husband travel all over the U.S. with there motorhome searching out all the best riding spots. What a life huh:(

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought a 700R for my wife (5'7" @ 135) and she handles it fine.
As everyone else has said, the 450r is definately a downgrade though.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm a smaller rider as well and love my 700. I think even if she is a little intimidated at first she'll get used to it pretty quick and think it's comfortable with or without fine-tuning the suspension

·
Registered
201 Posts
You could start her out on your new little 450r until she gets confident and then throw her on the 700. LOL, j/k.:lol:

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I'm a smaller rider as well and love my 700. I think even if she is a little intimidated at first she'll get used to it pretty quick and think it's comfortable with or without fine-tuning the suspension
I am 180lbs. And my wife is 120lbs. She rode my rappy through some moguls and the rebound was to strong and it pitched her right off lol. She wasnt too happy about that:clap:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ouch! Ya i was referring to more of the stock settings and fine-tuning them to a softer ride. From stock settings, I don't see how it could be a problem that she would hate the quad because of it, and I am right around the weight of the other ladies mentioned. I've ridden on both raptor rezzies and my yfz rezzies and all feel comfortable to me. Plus maybe it makes a difference I've ridden since I started on a little 50 and always had bigger quads to keep up with the pack of guys. Pin it and hang on!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Ouch! Ya i was referring to more of the stock settings and fine-tuning them to a softer ride. From stock settings, I don't see how it could be a problem that she would hate the quad because of it, and I am right around the weight of the other ladies mentioned. I've ridden on both raptor rezzies and my yfz rezzies and all feel comfortable to me. Plus maybe it makes a difference I've ridden since I started on a little 50 and always had bigger quads to keep up with the pack of guys. Pin it and hang on!
Sounds like you have a lot more experience then my wife does. And i totally agree with u! the stock settings for those bodie weights would be just fine. I'm kind of anal though and i like to tune everything just right. Plus i'm gettin a little older now 32 and a well setup suspension with the addition of a steering stabilizer allows me to ride all day with very little fatigue.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's why I switched over to the yfz shocks was just to get a little more tunability. But even with the junky pogos I had def didn't make me hate my 700! I just bought a steering stabilizer myself...can't wait to try it out! Maybe the original poster could think of something like that for his wife on the 700 (if the quad doesn't already have one) in addition to tuning the suspension

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
OMG you are going to love it! The shocks take out alot of the vertical shock but none of the lateral. Thats where the stabilizer comes in. It's kinda like having power steering. I hit a tree and bent a tierod, And it didnt jerk my arms outa their sockets. It really helps with the chop in well ridin sand. You dont get all the lateral shake anymore. It takes a little while to find the right setting though. When your sitting there and turn it up the handlebars will feel hard to turn. But when your riding it doesnt seem hard at all. You'll see what i mean when you get yours. It's kinda hard to explain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback. I should have stated originally that I am planning on doing some dune jumping and want the most airworthy quad.

·
Freak!
7,986 Posts
my girl is petite and 5' 1" (and 3/4"....if you leave out that.75 she gets pissy :lol: ) and Anyway she learned to ride on my rappy 700. Now she REALLY wanted a 700 of her own, but i watched here ride both on the trails and the dunes, and my only concern i had was that on whoops her butt wasn't very far off the seat when standing and could potentially launch her if she got twisted up on some knarly whoops. We went to the local stealership and i had here sit on every brand of machine on the market. It turned out that the YFZ450 fit her the best, so we bought one used for a steal. Now she loves her quad, it's noticeably more comfortable for her on the trails and dunes, plus it has a lighter feel to it on the trails so i think it doesn't fatigue her as much either.

She still loves Rappys, but you couldn't pry that YFZ from her.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My wife is 5'2 105lbs and is scared to death on my quad and she is a good rider. Just way too much power. I am thinking about buying my friends Blaster 200 2 stroke for her. It will keep up ok in the woods and she can handle it if it tries to flip on her.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's definetly going to be a downgrade from the 700. Unless you are on an mx track and or jumping super high. I think you should just keep'em both.
As for your old lady ridin it. Well all i can say is make sure to dial in the suspension as close as you can to match her body weight using these techniques http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9697&highlight=just+brought+her+home
And i just wanted to add that i saw a 65yr. old lady riding a 700r. And she loved it. Apparently her and her husband travel all over the U.S. with there motorhome searching out all the best riding spots. What a life huh:(
Haha... They can be made to mop 450's on a track too ;-) The extra 20 pounds on my bike comes in handy for bull dozing all those little things off the track. And idk why u all need a steering stabalizer, my front tires are never on the ground any ways haha, jk.

-- Get a 450 if ur gonna do pro am or pro
-- Id keep the 700, and get another one ha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts