Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a fat boy 4 exhaust system and had petes cycles put it on. im not sure if they rejeted i didnt really understand what the guy was talking about but when i warm my bike up smoke just starts pouring out and when im just riding theres still smoke coming out if anyone can help and tell me what might be wrong that would be awesome, thanks:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Should smoke if they didn't re-jet it, if anything it would run lean. If the did re-jet it they probably did it wrong. Does it smoke at idle, idle and WOT, or just WOT? If it's just at idle it could be the pilot, if it's at WOT it is the main jet, it could possible be the needle clipped incorrectly. Did they do an oil change, it could be overserviced too. It hasn't been topped off with any 2 stroke gas has it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i smokes the most at idle but when im riding it still smokes but not as much. and no just normal 4 stroke gas

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds like it was jetted wrong, or it has too much oil in it. What color is the smoke: blue/white (too much gas), or black (too much oil). If it's running too rich you should smell the gas. Pull the spark plug and see if it's wet/black.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's probably jetted wrong then, what elevation are you at? You have a few options for jet kits and they are easy to install. The hardest part is removing the plastics an fuel tank.

Pilot - install until it bottoms out, then back out 2 turns, if it doesn't idle right back it out another 1/4 turn
Needle - clip on 2nd ring from the top, if it doesn't accelerate right go down 1 clip
Main - go up to 135, 137, 140 etc until it runs at WOT right

you should not have to mess with the idle adjustment at all

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i called petes and they said they jetted it as lean as they could and that it ay be the air filter is that right ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
No, if you are running an aftermarket air filter it wouldn't run rich, it would run lean because more air is getting in, so it wouldn't have enough fuel. If all they did was adjust the pilot and needle and didn't actually install new jets you should be able to fix it yourself. All you have to do is adjust the pilot and needle, you can't do anything with the main jet. Your main jet should be a 132.5.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think you got a little mixed up JPW. Black smoke from the exhaust is a sign of richness and the blue/white smoke is from oil or possibly moisture. Mine smokes terribly on cold starts. At first I suspected it may by the rings, but I have concluded that it is probably oil that gets in through the intake, as high-revving can bring oil into the intake tube via the crank case breather. There's quite often a small puddle of that crud in my intake boot and sitting for a while probably allows it into the carb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts