Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow riders. New here but always came for insight.

Well today my 2001 660 Raptor cut off on me while riding at low speeds. I was crusing in 3rd gear and it died. I stopped and put it in Neutral and pressed the starter button. It wouldn't fire up. Then few seconds wouldn't turn over. That's when this wire by the clutch lever starter smoking. Now the starter doesn't work.

Is that wire the starter or something else?

What could/ may have caused it to melt like that? Thanks

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
That is the clutch safety switch, not needed and easily eliminated(search for how).
I wouldn't worry about it, but I would thoroughly inspect the entire harness for bare spots or breaks, and lose or dirty grounds.
Right now the wires are not connected, so it cannot start. Connect them and it will(but again, inspect it all first so not to cause more problems), keep in mind that you will no longer have to pull in the clutch to start it, and it Will start in gear, no big deal, just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also eliminating the Parking Break assembly and adding a regular clutch perch really cleans the bars up! Unless you need the PB for some reason of course.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Please work your way back towards the harness until you can see the colors of those two melted wires... what are they - green/yellow and black or black/yellow and black?

Also, check the heavy cable from battery minus to the case near the starter - I suspect it may have connection or corrosion issues.

Reactions: BikeLife Chevy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system Terrestrial plant
Plant Electrical wiring Automotive tire Carabiner Wood
Pink Knot Rope Wire Wood
Safety glove Glove Automotive tire Wood Workwear

So I been busy with work. Thanks to those who gave advice or input. Finally got to looking at the raptor. Followed the wires like you recommended and seen that the positive wire on the battery laid on that other wire and shorted it out. The last pic shows the small box with the fuse. It sits in place under the seat. But came off the small prongs and allowed the wires to touch.

. Do I need a whole wiring harness??

Anybody wanna buy a 01 raptor with new parts fresh from eBay (clutch, radiator, hoses, and other goodies) for $2000. 40hrs on engine. Pink in hand. Located in Cali

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Where in Cali?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts