Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am finally close to finishing my build. Had to replace one way after one that i purchased was bad and torched starter. So i threw new starter and one way on yesterday. She fired up right away, i almost passed out i was so excited. She would run fine then i would hear a loud click and she would shut off. I am thinking it is overheating and it is an automatic shutoff?? Is there any real way to tell if the fluid is cycling correct? Or should i remove thermostat and run it thru break in period, as someone told me who rebuilds engines on cars told me he does. Although my gut tells me he is an idiot so i dont really want to go that route. Or.....is it somthing else. Temp light never came on btw just the CLICK and then shutoff, but she will fire right back up afterwards.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Idle speed is too low, or pilot jets are plugged - the click you hear is the engine dying at idle, the piston being pushed down from pushing up on compression stroke which makes the crank turn backwards, grabbing the one-way and turning the starter motor - it's kinda like a CLICK, whizzz, right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats exactly what its doing. ill try that tonight, im gettin gquite ansy to take this baby out and get rid of my honda

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
ok so i am finally close to finishing my build. Had to replace one way after one that i purchased was bad and torched starter. So i threw new starter and one way on yesterday. She fired up right away, i almost passed out i was so excited. She would run fine then i would hear a loud click and she would shut off. I am thinking it is overheating and it is an automatic shutoff?? Is there any real way to tell if the fluid is cycling correct? Or should i remove thermostat and run it thru break in period, as someone told me who rebuilds engines on cars told me he does. Although my gut tells me he is an idiot so i dont really want to go that route. Or.....is it somthing else. Temp light never came on btw just the CLICK and then shutoff, but she will fire right back up afterwards.
The whole idea of the engine breakin is to get the engine to operating temp as fast as you can so you can then load it down, not to run the engine cold and wear it out really....................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts