Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding buddy has a a KTM 525 dirtbike and the only two times we have been out it has been really mucky. Even the fields were 4-6 inches of slop. We made a track kind of like a hare scramble. Some in the woods and some out in the open. When we were hitting the trails i was killing him until it got real tight (he blamed that on his front wheel breaknig loose, we'll see). Before I had my 15T we raced - off the line I wheelied the first three gears and still had him but once into fourth he took off like a rocket. Tommorrow we head out again but its suppose to be dry. We will see where he ends up again. Maybe this time his back tire won't hook up right, LOL ::)

·
Registered
767 Posts
I came off a 525 and went to the Raptor that I have now, If he can even remotley ride the 525 will absolutley spank your ass. :help:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well we will see maybe its a combo of his and mine. No biggie, no cash at the end of the trail for either of us just wondering.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My WR450 destroys my 700 Raptor...................I suggest keeping your wallet in your pants.
The only chance you have is if it's sloppy, you will be more stable.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well actually he outwieghs me by 40 lbs. but like I said I am not banking on it but just wondering where he should be. And Yes it was sloppy the first 2 times out. But I was whooping him when it was sloppy. Anyway we are havin some fun I don't care who wins as long as we are riding.

·
Registered
534 Posts
No wonder he will kill ya, look at the weight of his bike.

Dry weight: 106.0 kg (233.7 pounds)
Seat height: 925 mm (36.4 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Overall width: 525 mm (20.7 inches)
Ground clearance: 380 mm (15.0 inches)
Wheelbase: 1,481 mm (58.3 inches)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not just the weight but also the HP output of the engine.

The dirtbike 525 puts out 62 hp at the crank compared to the 700R 47 hp at the crank.

·
Registered
767 Posts
That's what I thought when I first got mine, but now I'm Bored with the power. That and I just can't leave anything stock. :grin_nod:

Markcuda said:
As I ride my Raptor more and more(5 hours on it), I just don't see why any body would want to make them go faster than they do :3question:
Hell, first thru third is scarry :eek:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I felt pretty dam good today riding with the guy with the 525. He could only loose me a little in the really tight stuff. But overall I am pleased with the rappy and I don't feel like he could leave me way behind ever. As far as his skills on it - they are still under review - he had been racing in the GNCC circuit for the last 3 or 4 years. So I don't beleive he is a slouch, but neither am I. Out in the open I was on top of him or passing him due to better traction (holeshot HD's). Well no matter what it was fun and I now know why people get steering stabilizers and anti vibe stems. My arms are jello after that run.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Be sure to let us know when you run in favarable conditions for the bike and not the quad.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Markcuda said:
As I ride my Raptor more and more(5 hours on it), I just don't see why any body would want to make them go faster than they do :3question:
Hell, first thru third is scarry :eek:
I feel that way again.....I felt that way when it was stock.........and will probably feel that way when I get rid of the stock cam and valvetrain. Its an ongoing process :grin_nod:

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
When it comes to 450+ racing dirtbikes I dont think a stock or very mildly modded 700 will be able to do anything with them equal rider wise. Mine handles them pretty well now but then again its been on a MX track with short staights. I guess you give enough room to stretch out they will come by me.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today was dry but the ground was hard in the open. Like I said I was not expecting to woop him just was curious, since I have never ridden a Dirtbike.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That KTM 525 is a bad boy. My daughters boyfriend has one with a few bucks thrown at it. He's a good rider and has no problems handing 700 riders their asses in Glamis. I doubt any riding conditions would handicap that bike enough to have a 700 beat it unless the KTM rider just could not handle it.
If you're giving that 525 trouble, you must be a pretty good rider; much better than me.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like I was saying I in no way feel that I should be beating him. I was just curious partly because I would like to hear if anyone else has ridden against one. The conditions have not been favorable for him except for today. I feel I can hang with him pretty good through the woods, in the open I was suprised to see that I was gaining on him (pretty sure he isn't getting very good traction), and overall I am hanging on his coat-tail most of the time. To those who thought I was knocking the 525, I am not. Just sharing an experience and testing the waters about how good this guy can ride. If you guys are saying he should be whooping me bad, then maybe he is very rusty or not as good as he boasts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.