Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have broken off a grease zerk or had one break off your quad?

Went to service all mine today started w/the one located on top of the dog bone on the top side of the swingarm, so I pumped my grease in and gave it a little wiggle as I pulled the fitting off and along come the top of the zerk leaving the threads in the bushing :mad: :banghead: :wtf: . So after I took a little walk and cooled down I came back to really check it out and stuck the tip of my needle nose in to the threaded portion and they spun right out, so I got lucky in that aspect. Then I got lucky again that the local stealership actually had one in stock for $6.45 but atleast my quad will be fixed tomorrow :thumbsup:.

Another question, how do you'll go at getting the grease gun connected to the 2 zerk fittings that are in the center of the upper a-arms? thanks for the tips.

Michael

·
Registered
126 Posts
Go to the autoparts store and buy a flexible hose tip for your grease gun, works very nice :metal:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GigPig said:
Go to the autoparts store and buy a flexible hose tip for your grease gun, works very nice :metal:
Jeremy said:
Flexible hose is the only way to go. :thumbsup:
I'm not too stupid :crazy:. I do have a flexible hose but i't just bound it up to much the way I was trying to stick it in there....maybe I just didn't mess with it enough, I just didn't want another broken zerk...so maybe I need to mess with it some more :thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like you need to adjust the tip to loosen up a bit in the zerk :thumbsup: Then it won't pull it out.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GigPig said:
Sounds like you need to adjust the tip to loosen up a bit in the zerk :thumbsup: Then it won't pull it out.
Ok now call me stupid, cause how the hell are you supposed to do that? :3question: :confused:

·
Registered
340 Posts
This has happened to me, as a matter of fact same place too! I figured I'd end up snapping a couple more over time so I went to a local auto parts store for the replacement and stocked up on a shit load of them. $6.45? What an effin rip! I bought a dozen for 10 bucks! I'll sell them to you for the bargain price of 5 bills each! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I must be stupid, I broke that one twice. The first one I got at the dealer for 59 cents, I thought that was awful cheap, the second one cost me 3 and some change. I think the kid screwed up on the first one. RIP OFF.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3coolcars said:
most hoses have an end on them that you can turn to adjust to the size of zerk you have. plus 6.95 for one zerk is outrageous i paid like 10 bucks for about 50 different ones.
I'll have to check mine to see if it allows that...

frankhkp7 said:
This has happened to me, as a matter of fact same place too! I figured I'd end up snapping a couple more over time so I went to a local auto parts store for the replacement and stocked up on a shit load of them. $6.45? What an effin rip! I bought a dozen for 10 bucks! I'll sell them to you for the bargain price of 5 bills each! :grin_nod:
I went to the auto parts store but they didn't have any metric thread zerks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beaner242 said:
I must be stupid, I broke that one twice. The first one I got at the dealer for 59 cents, I thought that was awful cheap, the second one cost me 3 and some change. I think the kid screwed up on the first one. RIP OFF.
The one I did get from the stealership was black instead of the norm. I don't know about ya'll but i think its gonna look pretty fancy :p :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
im pimpin out TWO black grease zerks :thumbsup:. broke two within the past two weeks. you def. need to adjust the fitting mouth on yer grease gun. should be able to thread it down or up to widen or open the "mouth" to accomodate different zerk sizes. if that still doesnt work then your just gonna have to be very careful when takin the hose off. wiggle it gently up and down, left to right. any hard pressure on it will snap it right off. they are made pretty cheap imo. :mad:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes I've broke one as well, real cheap junk they use. I bought an assortment of metric zerks and changed the front control arms to 45* zerks.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I do the left zerk from the right side and the right one from the left. I also broke the rear on the first grease. My neighbor has an old Warrior, zerks back in the day where stronger... I robbed his zerks. :grin_nod: I think they are 6mm zerks, my local Auto Value had a metric assortment as well. If you know someone with an old Yamaha sitting out back, see if you can buy their zerks, I assure you the old ones are better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
marshview ripper said:
im pimpin out TWO black grease zerks :thumbsup:. broke two within the past two weeks. you def. need to adjust the fitting mouth on yer grease gun. should be able to thread it down or up to widen or open the "mouth" to accomodate different zerk sizes. if that still doesnt work then your just gonna have to be very careful when takin the hose off. wiggle it gently up and down, left to right. any hard pressure on it will snap it right off. they are made pretty cheap imo. :mad:
I'm gonna have to see if mine does that if not i'll be getting a diff. attachment for my grease gun. I agree about them being cheap.

Diddly said:
Yes I've broke one as well, real cheap junk they use. I bought an assortment of metric zerks and changed the front control arms to 45* zerks.
Thats a good idea about the 45's :thumbsup: I might just have to do that myself....you know anything to make these things easier to maintain. Still dreading doing my valves, even though I do all that maintenance on my bike...mybe it's just cause it's new :crazy: :grin_nod:

·
Registered
994 Posts
SandDragon said:
I do the left zerk from the right side and the right one from the left. I also broke the rear on the first grease. My neighbor has an old Warrior, zerks back in the day where stronger... I robbed his zerks. :grin_nod: I think they are 6mm zerks, my local Auto Value had a metric assortment as well. If you know someone with an old Yamaha sitting out back, see if you can buy their zerks, I assure you the old ones are better. :thumbsup:

yeah, the zerks on my old Warrior are tough as nails!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just follow the valve adjustment thread, it is easier than checking the oil. :lol:

·
Registered
510 Posts
As for reaching your front upper a-arm jerks. Jack the front of the machine up. This will rotate the jerks so you can reach them........ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
45deg zerks are the bomb!! You can usually tighten your grease coupler to grease the zerk, then loosen it while it's still on the zerk to get it off. I've broken most of my original zerks and just ordered new ones thru my bolt supplier here at work. About .50 each.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.