Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as too how many of you guys don't turn around when you come to a big mud rut or standing water on the trail. I know the 350 is fairly light and can make its way through more mud and deep spots than most would think. But what can happen to the ATV? I ride with a couple of guys that have Grizzlys and Honda 4x4's. I bought my bike for trail, gravel, dirt riding but sometimes I don't want to be the wuss and turn around and go back.

How well are the engines sealed up and what components on the quad are sensitive to mud and water? I know that after I spray off my Raptor after a hard day of riding, it takes a few minutes to start back up :3question: Any other time, it fires right up first crank. I try to be very careful when cleaning it and not directly spray the engine area, but water obviously still hits the block, carb, case, etc.

Just curious what some of the more experienced riders think.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
As long as you dont suck water into the motor your good. Go through what ever you can or would like to. If you get stuck I'm sure someone has a winch to pull you out. Every quad should be good with mudd and water so you shouldn't be worried what every they can do you can do untill you get stuck. Just remember how high the air box comes up to or snorkel comes up to so you dont suck water in.

·
Registered
369 Posts
like he said just dont let the water in the intake i had a 350 and tried to keep the water below seat level any more than that and it will take it in and dont go bustin deep holes cause that wave you push out will come back eventually lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive floated/boated my 350 through a creek and it was fine after, like everybody else said just make sure the water doesnt come up or go over to the seat and you should be good, and once your in the water dont stop or it'll run into your pipe

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks guys. That is reassuring. I obviously dont have anything to worry about because even the utility bikes that i ride with dont go through any water more than 18" or so. I was skeptical about even putting in through mild mud ruts.

Time to get it a little dirty now.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Brown is a good color on quads :lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yea and like 350rider said keep it running if it comes up to your pipe and if it does cut off don't start it have someone pull you out and stand the quad up remove the spark plug and set it down make sure there isn't any water in the intake turn it over a few times put the plug back in and if there isn't any oil in the water you should be good to go

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea and like 350rider said keep it running if it comes up to your pipe and if it does cut off don't start it have someone pull you out and stand the quad up remove the spark plug and set it down make sure there isn't any water in the intake turn it over a few times put the plug back in and if there isn't any oil in the water you should be good to go
Thanks for your response. I assume you meant if there isn't any water in the oil. I don't think I am going to have this problem though. I don't ever plan on burrying it in mud or water. Just wanted to know if it was safe to go through a little slop or a foot of water or so. I had a cold air intake on my Nissan Z (no bypass valve) and inadvertently drove through some deep water. Sucked a bunch of water into the engine and bye-bye VQ35. Insurance company totalled the car since the new engine would have been close to what the entire car was worth.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Occasionally, water will cause some problems, if it gets into the plug boot or plug bore, for example - the 350 was not made for fording rivers, the Ute's are...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts