Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I vaugly remember reading something about swapping the chain when changing sprockets. I understand the chain and sprokets wear into each other over time. Would it make sense to pick up a new rear sprocket as well as a chain? Anyone have any problems with this?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Depends on the condition of your chain. If it doesnt have too many hours on it, id say throw the front sprocket on.

If you wanna be a purist, get a new chain and the rear sprocket as well. Then there will be no issue.

Ive got 4 desert trips on my new chain since the swing arm(12 trips on the sprockets), and i just bought a 15t front sprocket, I will be putting on. I wont give it another thought.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had the same question as to whether or not everyone was loosening the chain or adding links. I am going to just loosen until I hear otherwise.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
For the first ?, if you have a lot of hours already on that stock chain and rear sprocket, I would highly recomend replacing it all as they do wear in a certain way together. BUT, like what was said, if everything is in good shape, and it hasnt been used much, then just throw on the 15T :thumbsup:

For the 2nd ?, all you need to do is loosen the chain.....DO NOT add a link. There is absolutely NO reason to do this as there is GOOOOBBBS of chain available stock. Just loosen it up by going threw the "chain adjustment steps"

·
Registered
623 Posts
i had about 20-30 hours on my chain probably with the stock components, threw the 15t on without thinking twice. no issues whatsoever for me. been to the dunes, mudding, ect.

gotta love the chain adjustment on these bikes. so damn easy!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
man, you need to get that thing tuned right. There is no reason to be being beat by a bone stock 700. AND, now that you have the 15T you should reeeaaally be beating him.

It does say a lot for that damn sprocket though....that your 700 gained that much by just changing around the gearing!

·
Registered
623 Posts
it was bone stock with a 15t sprocket, vs my bike with a slip-on not tuned right.

i see no reason for him not beating me badly. like i said though, it makes a huge difference on a stock or modded bike.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Boom, You're right that the amount of extra slack available in the stock chain is more than enough to compensate for the extra tooth. But its always good to ask when there's someone more knowledgable even if it is something simple like this. You'll always hear more smaller mod questions like this from guys like me that like to play it safe.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
raptair700r said:
Boom, You're right that the amount of extra slack available in the stock chain is more than enough to compensate for the extra tooth. But its always good to ask when there's someone more knowledgable even if it is something simple like this. You'll always hear more smaller mod questions like this from guys like me that like to play it safe.
There is already a thread that has all this information and more.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
281pony said:
it was bone stock with a 15t sprocket, vs my bike with a slip-on not tuned right.

i see no reason for him not beating me badly. like i said though, it makes a huge difference on a stock or modded bike.

I thought you said that before the 15T he was beating you with a stock 700 with stock gearing vs your not tuned slip on?

I am officially confused....sorry :3question:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts