Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went shopping for new tires.. i figure a new riding season is about to start so i might aswell switch my stock tires, which have some life to em, to a better brand. anyways i was put at a crossroad of tires.. and also a crossroad of opinions (from stores) and i don't really know if these guys were bullshitting me to sell me stuff they have been chokin on.. so i figured i wud clear things up with you guys first so i can appear as if i knew what i was talkin about... anyways.. the tires that i am lookin at are:

1. ITP XCR
2. ITP Holeshot
3. Maxxis RAZR2
4. Maxxis IRAZR

now i don't want this to turn into a "this is better than that" war.. i am gonna portray my opinion and what i was told by the stores.. and i wanna know which one would suit my terrain and riding..

from what i concluded.. the razr2 and holeshots have pretty much similar tread.. but the guy from store A said that the razr2 is alot heavier than the holeshot and it cud cause engine damage due to weight, which sounded to me like bullshit right there.. i dunno whether the razr2 is heavier or not tho.. anyway.. he also told me that the XCR was for racing, which came to me as bullshit too.. cuz the tread seemed like it was good for hard surface sand riding (not dune sand). as for store B who had razr2's and irazr's, he went ahead and tol me they were both very heavy tires and they both weighed the same... i liked the irazr tread but i dunno if it's worth the money.. it's the most expensive of the whole lot followed by the XCR.. i'm in Kuwait so prices here are jacked up a bit.. so i'm really in a bind.. i do quite a bit of street riding.. and the terrain i ride in is not soft.. it's really hard packed sand.. the type where you gotta take a shovel and litterally gotta stab it in the ground (best i cud do to describe sorry :) ) to start diggin a hole.. that type of sand.. so how can i be able to decide what tire to pick if i'm riding both sand and street, and dragging them as well.. and not wanting something that is unnecessarily heavy.. i am seriously digging the XCR and the irazr.. but any other useful input could change my mind.. i'm really in quite a bind :help:

not to mention tire sizes.. i know the bigger the tire more top speed you get.. but i don't want anything to big.. standard size would be fine.. but would that be a good choice.. and what are the tire sizes that the stock rims are able to carry.. thanks fellas.

·
Registered
610 Posts
When I was looking for tires I found that very few actually came in the stock sizes. For reasons at that time... I wanted to stay stock or close to it. This narrowed down the search a lot. I saw lots of guys were running "Holeshots", like you mentioned, but there are lots of styles of Holeshot tires. I couldn't seem to get it narrowed down. Still, I kind of gravitated to the ITP Holeshot series. I ended up with the GNCCs because of a write up and I love the fronts, but the rears are wearing way to quick for me. The ride took a little getting used to, too, because they're not radials. Something else to add to the confusion ;). They may be the perfect tire in your present conditions, though.
If and when I do it all over again I am going to go with something from Maxxis, in a radial and 22" rears. Don't know how the larger tire will affect the 15T sprocket I have on the way (shipped yesterday from Motosport), but I can always change back to 14. I need the extra ground clearance and something that will wear better. I read the Razors wear better over Holeshots if you hit the roads often.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I like my XCR’s for the woods. They do real well in loamy to wet conditions. They have great traction on hardpack also but pavement, gravel and hardpack roads seem to wear them down real quick

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd agree, the XCR's are a good all around tire. I use mine on the track and trail. I also have a set of XCT's that I use for rough rockey trail riding. Either way you go the new tires will be a 100% improvement.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
The Maxxis tire doesnt wear as good as the ITPs, other than that you would need to be a pro to really tell a difference in em.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I would highly recomend the ITP XCR's front and rear.
That thing about engine damage due to increased weight of the maxxis tires is a load of crap. What it will do though is increase rotational mass and slow you down. They are indeed heavier though.......
The ITP XCR's are the bridge between a MX tire and a Trail tire. They are 6 ply tough, but lite weight. They hook up damn good and the handling is superb!

you'll notice a good increase in handling and traction over stock, thats "fo-shizle"!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So going with the XCR would be a better deal.. an what about the irazr's?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hear the I razrs wear faster than the Razr 2's.

I have Pirelli Ravce Rail XC's. They seem to hook good and wear decent, but I can keep air in them to save my soul. IM gonna try putting some tire slime in there pretty soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts