Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding mostly trails and the occasional trip to Florence, what mods are mandatory by the collective soul here? I figure for what I do with mostly trail riding, skid plates are a must. I can see the intake being good to, but am not looking at the high-$$$ mods yet. I don't care to go faster yet, either, as it's plenty fast as it sits. I'm sure time will change that, but tis good for now in that regard. So, are things like Nerf bars high on the list, along with bumpers, tires...what else? Again, I'm not at all looking for high-buck mods (or any for that matter), only the ones that are really top o' the list. Yamaha puts together a pretty sound package, but there's always room for improvement, huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,785 Posts
I came off a warrior and wasnt worried about power right away. I also mainly trail ride so here is the order I got things.

1) Pro-peg Nerfs
2) Swing-arm skid and Chassis Skid
3) Handguards
4) Rear Grab Bar
5) Front Bumper and A-Arm Guards
6) Intake/filter and PC lll
7) Full Exhaust
8 ) Grips and Fuel cap
9) Graphics
10) Maier Hood (still awaiting arrival)

Probally would of bought tires in there somewhere but cant make up my mind on which to get lol :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
1. Tires is a must! Your stock ones are 2 ply. I have 3 plugs in them and just 2 weeks ago I put a gash in the sidewall that is unrepairable. Im think about getting iRazr's or Kenda Klaw's.
2. AC black nerf bars
3. Black IMS roll bumper
4. Black pro baja rims
5. hand guards
6. PC III, Full Exhaust, and intake.
7. skid plates
8. Quad tech carbon fiber hood and gas tank shroud
9. Black widow graphics kit.

And then im done. All that right there is around $2,000. I added it up :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Here is the best bang for your buck. Intake is a must, pull the lid off your airbox, Dobeck Fuel Controller, and pull your spark arrestor out of your stock pipe. Currently I am running this very same set-up and I did it for under $200. OK right at $200 but you get the picture. Great gains over stock as far as power. I also run AC nerfs. They can be had on ebay for around $100. Other than that it comes down to your wallet. The PCIIIusb is superior to the Dobeck but if you are not going to do internal mods don't waste your money.

Craig,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
bberck said:
I came off a warrior and wasnt worried about power right away. I also mainly trail ride so here is the order I got things.

1) Pro-peg Nerfs
2) Swing-arm skid and Chassis Skid
3) Handguards
4) Rear Grab Bar
5) Front Bumper and A-Arm Guards
6) Intake/filter and PC lll
7) Full Exhaust
8 ) Grips and Fuel cap
9) Graphics
10) Maier Hood (still awaiting arrival)

Probally would of bought tires in there somewhere but cant make up my mind on which to get lol :thumbsup:
Pretty much couldn't say it better than bberck!!! Nerfs are a MUST in my book!!! Protect me, then the bike, and then start to work on the performance mods!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
First mod I did was a twist throttle. I dont do thumb throttles.

I never have enough power so for me it was intake, exhaust and a programmer. You say you dont need more power, so...

For trail riding, id want to protect the underside better. Id say a alluminum chassis and swingarm skidplate if you have alot of rocks in your area.

I dont think bumpers are that important, unless you tend to run into things alot, or plan on breaking down and need a good tow strap attatchment point. I recieved one for a gift(Duncan Racing) and its awesome.

I like to take a cooler with me....I broke 2 PRM 6 pack racks, switched to an AC rack and am happy now.

I would run Holeshots over the stock rear tires.

The stock lights are ok if your traveling in a pack and not the leader. You can do far better, but not for cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
a) Helmet
b) Riding Pants
c) Boots
d) Jersey/Chest Protector
e) Nerfs
f) Skids
g) Bumper
h) Grab Bar
i) Performance Mods (PCIII, Intake, Exhaust, Ect..) :woot:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Deja_Entendu700 said:
a) Helmet
b) Riding Pants
c) Boots
d) Jersey/Chest Protector
e) Nerfs
f) Skids
g) Bumper
h) Grab Bar
i) Performance Mods (PCIII, Intake, Exhaust, Ect..) :woot:
Im not makin fun of you but, I just usually wear blue jeans, a random t-shirt, pair of tenashoes, and a backwards hat. But when I know im gonna go fast and ride hard I definetely wear the old brain bucket! Helmet is a must especially when u ride with my group lol :crazy: they crazy sometimes. I dont think I would be comfortable with a chest protector or boots. But a chest protector saved my buddies life on a hillclimb one time. The handlebars and whole quad landed right on his chest. Knocked the wind out of him and did a number on his chest protector but he came out unscaved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,785 Posts
YFZbrad said:
Deja_Entendu700 said:
a) Helmet
b) Riding Pants
c) Boots
d) Jersey/Chest Protector
e) Nerfs
f) Skids
g) Bumper
h) Grab Bar
i) Performance Mods (PCIII, Intake, Exhaust, Ect..) :woot:
Im not makin fun of you but, I just usually wear blue jeans, a random t-shirt, pair of tenashoes, and a backwards hat. But when I know im gonna go fast and ride hard I definetely wear the old brain bucket! Helmet is a must especially when u ride with my group lol :crazy: they crazy sometimes. I dont think I would be comfortable with a chest protector or boots. But a chest protector saved my buddies life on a hillclimb one time. The handlebars and whole quad landed right on his chest. Knocked the wind out of him and did a number on his chest protector but he came out unscaved.
I wasnt sure about boots but I went ahead and bought some. After getting them I thought I made a mistake because I hated them. I kept wearing them to see if it would get better since I paid almost $300 for them. Now that they are broke in I would much rather wear them than anything. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Is it comfortable to wear them for long periods? And are they very heavy? I have thought about upgrading my riding gear, but im a country boy so I gotta represent :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Yeah, I just rather protect myself rather than the quad, then again it depends on what kind of riding. Of course jersey, riding pants, boots..ect are good no matter what, but i guess not totally necessary for casual riding. Assuming that ChiknNutz is mostly only going to do trails, they are certainly not needed, but hey..it doesn't hurt to have 'em ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got the riding gear already (including chest protector), now looking at the machine. I've already got all of the GYT-R skid plates ordered from my buddy that works for a dealership. Just wondering about such things as the Nerf bars, suspension, tires, intake, exhaust and computer. Sounds like the "3 mods" along with the 15T sprocket is pretty popular and worth doing. Regarding the "3 mods"...do you need to do all of these in unison since the fuel map will be outta whack?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
ChiknNutz said:
I've got the riding gear already (including chest protector), now looking at the machine. I've already got all of the GYT-R skid plates ordered from my buddy that works for a dealership. Just wondering about such things as the Nerf bars, suspension, tires, intake, exhaust and computer. Sounds like the "3 mods" along with the 15T sprocket is pretty popular and worth doing. Regarding the "3 mods"...do you need to do all of these in unison since the fuel map will be outta whack?
From what I heard..Yes, you need the "3 Mods" for the 15T. But, I'm pretty sure there are maps availble for instance, stock exhaust with proflow intake, or stock exhaust w/ stock intake but no top, or stock intake with aftermarket exhaust...there are may combinations to go with, but don't install 15T before you get these other parts, as people say you won't have enough power anyhow.. :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
hey deja i was reading yur mods and was wonderin where did u get the pro motion airbox lid..is it billet?'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Talljess said:
hey deja i was reading yur mods and was wonderin where did u get the pro motion airbox lid..is it billet?'
It's "Laser cut from 6061-T6 aluminum". I actually got it from RockyMountainAtv.Com ----> Go to the site, and on the left side where it says "search by catalog part #"...insert 451302 . That's what it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts

That's what it looks like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
When I was asking around about skid plates friends and folks supposedly "in the know" told me to stick with the GYT-R stuff for the A-arms and engine plates because the recessed bolt holes and drain holes are in the right places. Seems to makes sense to me so that's what I'm going with.
I'll likely get the GYT-R sprocket plate too and be done with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Ive got the hook up for ya! Pm me if you are interested
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top