Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose any one soak there clutch cable or any other cables in oil like they use to do with the chains? I'm getting ready for next weekends ride and I noticed my clutch cable was a little slow so i tried lubing it up with the 6 in 1 oil I normally use but that didn't help. So I stuck it in a coffee can and dumped in some oil and I'm gonna let it sit for a little bit. Will this harm anything or can anything go wrong doing this?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Don't really see the benefit of soaking steel braided cable vs using the cable luber, its steel so it not gonna seep into the metal by soaking.....btw how's the duals? Missing your single? :-D

·
Registered
33 Posts
What i do is take an old spark plug boot and put it on the end of the cable, if its loose put a ziptie on it.
With cable vertical,Fill the boot with spray lube of your choice.
I usually use something thin to wash the dirt and old lube out.
working the cable in and out will help the lube work its way down faster.
follow up with a dose of oil and do the same thing.
I usually put the boot on the top of the cabe so the oil will work its way through while on the bike.
You can also plug your air gun on the end at low pressure to help blow the lube thru.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I thought soaking it was I wasn't able to get the cable lube to go through it. So I was hoping that soaking it the oil may get in the cable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
go to your local bike shot. "support local businesses" and pick up a cable lubing tool. it clamps on the end of your cable and you attach the hard spray hose of any lubricant into a grometed end in the luber. this uses the injection method of lubing rather than soaking. if there is any contaminants in the line its self then it gets expelled out the other end. plus forces lube all the way though.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried it and not thing. The soaking in oil didn't help. So I ordered a new cable. The weird thing was I cut the end off of it to see what was going on and the cable looked fine so it must have been something with the outside part of it. Now I know I have to do the cables when I'm done riding and not before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts