Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what size socket I need to remove the nut on the end of the hub? And what size wrench for the axle nut with the set screws in it? Need to get the right tools to get this axle out.

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
Anyone know what size socket I need to remove the nut on the end of the hub?
1 1/8" if my memory serves correctly

And what size wrench for the axle nut with the set screws in it? Need to get the right tools to get this axle out.
A very big one. I used a 24" Crescent

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked the nut size with some calipers and it looks like the castle nut is a 24mm. The axle nut i'll just use a big crescent. Thanks man.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use a 15/16" on the hub nut. The nut that holds the axle in is 46mm. I use a 46mm crawsfoot on that nut and works well with the re-torque of the nut.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I just checked the nut size with some calipers and it looks like the castle nut is a 24mm. The axle nut i'll just use a big crescent. Thanks man.
correct. the stock axle wheel hub nut is 24mm.

i used a bigass 24" crescent wrench on the axle nu as well as previously stated above.. make sure you remember that there are TWO allen locking nuts on the stock axle locknut, unlike my dumbass did with my LSR axle and nearly stripped out the threads. the stock locknut stripped out. the LSR locknut i purchased has to be wedged at the pinch to be twisted on now. oops.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I got the axle nut off with a 24" crescent. I can't get that damn castle nut off to save my life. I'm going to go pick up an impact. That should zip it off hopefully.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah I got the axle nut off with a 24" crescent. I can't get that damn castle nut off to save my life. I'm going to go pick up an impact. That should zip it off hopefully.
i've had to use an impact with 800 ft. lbs. or torque to get it off before..

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
I held a 1/2" breaker bar in one hand on the nut and used a dead blow hammer to loosen mine. Took a while but it worked.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the breaker bar and the dead blow hammer but no luck. The impact made quick work of it though. Of all the work i've done on the raptor I think putting on the new swing arm was the biggest pain in the ass.

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
I tried the breaker bar and the dead blow hammer but no luck. The impact made quick work of it though. Of all the work i've done on the raptor I think putting on the new swing arm was the biggest pain in the ass.
I would have to say installing the front end and having to deal with Caster - Camber / Toe-In - Toe-out was far worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts