Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to get now? I was thinking about getting an 09 Suzuki LTZ400 QuadSport, but I found an all original stock no aftermarket parts 87 Suzuki LT250R QuadRacer for $1000, it even has a title. Ever since I was a kid I always wanted one, I was raised in the 2 stroke era. Of course I would have to upgrade to a FMF pipe, silencer, and V-Force reeds if I buy it. Then I would contemplate switching to 4 bolt rear hubs and putting some nerfs on it. I guess I could always get teh 250r and get a 400z later.

·
Registered
74 Posts
depends what you want it for i was raised in 2 stroke era too so yes i love em, but the ltz is better trail machine and you can get tons of aftermarket parts where the lt250r well gettin hard to find parts for, well get a 700 raptor its way i went great power but great trail machine and easy tamed and parts are dime a dozen ,

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I decided I will never be a competitive MX racer, I already have a career, plus I am going on 36. I mainly trail ride dirt/sand trails out here in the desert. It's a mix of hard packed dirt, loose sand, and some gravel roads. Lot's of whoops, twist and turns, and some straights. I would like to ride in the annual Tarantula Race/Poker Run, but I have already noticed that finding a silencer with a spark arrestor is difficult. Z400s are still going for 35 to 4000, Raptor 700s are still 5 to 5500. This 250r is $1000, it's hard not to buy it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yup i hear ya im 35 got hurt 2yrs ago and man i dont heal to fast anymore lol i agree buy the 250r man if its in decent shape and works good cant go wrong for $1000

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Is the LT any greater than a Banshee? I can see it probably being lighter but I remember the thread a while back where we said the Banshee isn't much unless it's going straight. Hoping that doesn't start a war lol. But you can find 660's and 700's pretty cheap at least where I live. Depending on what you got out of your 250 you could probably almost even up on early YFZ or 660 that just needs a little TLC.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The LT was the original race quad while Honda was at the tail end of the ATC250R and Yamaha had the TRI-Z. The Banshee's intended purpose was dune riding. The 85/86 LTs had a more timid engine and less than adequate shocks. The 87 is where you started to see improvements with the powervalve and better suspension, but was still a modified 85/86. The 88-92 models were complete re-builds, but not really any better than the 87. This is why the 87 is considered the "bastard" model. The LT is still not as good as the TRX250R, but it is better than the Tecate 4.

Fastest 2 stroke production 250 - Kawasaki Tecate 4
Best handling 2 stroke production quad - Honda TRX250R
Best bang for the buck 2 stroke production quad - Suzuki LT250R
Yamaha didn't offer a 250 but had the Blaster and Banshee

Thanks for the input, moret han what I get on the Suzuki forums.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I was just reading Dirt Wheels and saw the "24 years ago" section and there was an '87 Tecate 4 on the cover. I actually kinda looked like look of them. I think the older quads kinda look better than some newer ones. The LT could be real fun with some work into it, but I seem to prefer four strokes. My main turn-off to two strokes is the sound haha.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
The Banshee is great in a straight line & in the dunes. The LT is a MX quad. The TRX is a better MX quad. Banshees are easy to blow up, but there are tons of mods, and with the LT, there aren't many. I would pick an LT over a Banshee.

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
Get the QuadRacer while your saving for a 700. :)
The 400 will be the better quad over all but a 87QR that runs in half way good shape with a title for a grand. I would go that route and then save for a 700.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
wish i could run across a deal like that! i would certainly buy it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now the only problem is I can't in touch with the guy anymore to go pick it up. It's still listed for sale, but he hasn't answered my text trying to get his address and set up a time to meet him.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
i would call and talk to someone if i were you. never know when your texting a 13 year old thats trying to sell his step dads stuff...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I talked to him and picked it up already. It is actually an 88, and it sho'nuff had a title. Problem is the lein holder released the title May 1990, and the owner never registered it, wonder how much that's going to costs me in late fees? I need to fix the rear brakes and put new tires on it, but it is clean and runs good. It already has a steering stabilizer on it and nerf bars. Starts right up in one kick once it is warm, hell the lights even work.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
sounds like you got a smokin deal then. time to update your sig!!!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Yeah, I talked to him and picked it up already. It is actually an 88, and it sho'nuff had a title. Problem is the lein holder released the title May 1990, and the owner never registered it, wonder how much that's going to costs me in late fees? I need to fix the rear brakes and put new tires on it, but it is clean and runs good. It already has a steering stabilizer on it and nerf bars. Starts right up in one kick once it is warm, hell the lights even work.
PICS!! How do you like it compared to your Raptor 250.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Picked it up Friday and cleaned it up. Then I changed the oil, spark plug, and radiator fluid on Saturday. I had to fix the master cylinder on Sunday. Now I am waiting on some tires to come in, then I will ride it. I will probably put an FMF pipe and silencer on it, upgrade the reeds, then re-jet it later. I did start it up and putt around on it a little bit, it is definitley bigger, stronger and faster. The true test will be the next time I go to red sands.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Hell yeah! That's bad ass man. It looks really good...with the exception of that headlight :lol: you got a great deal imo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts