Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I thought I would make a new thread, as you know i previously built my raptors engine by the help of this forum on a different thread.

Ok, so bike was working fine and riding, put it away for a day and the next day i took it out. As soon as I pressed the throttle once it was rolling under clutch, something blew and all the power went off. I took off the seat to find the solenoid fuse had blown.

Now, i replaced the fuse with around 5 fuses (30 amps) and they all blew as soon as i turn ignition on. Now i have not messed around with any wires prior to this issue so im not sure what the issue is?

I had a spare solenoid which i put in and this one the fuse dont blow, but i think the solenoid is broken as it has a single CLICK once I press the start, I did however bypass it with a screw driver and got it to start and rode.

Now, what could be the issue? Could it be the solenoid? I mean when i put the old one in I just mentioned, the fuse dont blow... but when i put the original one in then fuse blows as soon as i turn the ignition on....

Any help from Dez / Morph Rider or any other members would be appreciated.

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
Does it blow when you turn on the KEY switch or the RUN/STOP switch? Turn both off and turn key on first - does it blow? If not, then turn on run/stop - does it blow now? Let us know.

Also, make sure you start testing with everything else turned off - headlights, foot and hand of brakes, hand off clutch, etc. If it hasn't blown yet, test each of these functions and see if you can determine what makes it blow and then let us know.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it blow when you turn on the KEY switch or the RUN/STOP switch? Turn both off and turn key on first - does it blow? If not, then turn on run/stop - does it blow now? Let us know.

Also, make sure you start testing with everything else turned off - headlights, foot and hand of brakes, hand off clutch, etc. If it hasn't blown yet, test each of these functions and see if you can determine what makes it blow and then let us know.

And sorry what do you mean by RUN/STOP swittch?? I have the 660, i only have one key ignition which turns on or off, and then a start switch that you push in to start the bike.

It blows as soon as the key switch ( ignition ) is turned on. It just blows. I have tried with everything off but still blows. I have not messed around with any wires etc yet and it never blew before.. battery is also fully charged

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
If you have a built for US market Raptor 660, it has a switch on the left handle bar switch cluster, just under the headlight switch, that says "RUN" and "STOP". Since I now see you are in the UK, I have no idea what might be different.

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that you have a wire that is abraded and shorting to frame somewhere, the switch testing would help determine which wires to start with. Unfortunately the wiring diagram, as published, reflects the US model - so we can only hope that the wiring and wire colors on your quad are similar.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a built for US market Raptor 660, it has a switch on the left handle bar switch cluster, just under the headlight switch, that says "RUN" and "STOP". Since I now see you are in the UK, I have no idea what might be different.

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that you have a wire that is abraded and shorting to frame somewhere, the switch testing would help determine which wires to start with. Unfortunately the wiring diagram, as published, reflects the US model - so we can only hope that the wiring and wire colors on your quad are similar.
The wiring should be the i recon? What do you want to see on the bike , i can go take some pictures of the switches/wires etc right now for you???

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
No, not necessary... just trying to help divide the problem down - a troubleshooting technique that has worked for me for many years. Keep dividing until you reach the issue.

Do you have an Ohm meter?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, not necessary... just trying to help divide the problem down - a troubleshooting technique that has worked for me for many years. Keep dividing until you reach the issue.

Do you have an Ohm meter?
Ok sure, and no i dont have that meter, its strange that i did not have this issue throughout my whole rebuild and now out the blue it just starts to blow. It could be the solenoid as i mentioned when i put my old one back in the fuse dont blow but that solenoid only clicks once as may be broken...

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
Did the fuse start blowing IMMEDIATELY after replacement of the solenoid, or just some time after?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like a dodgy solenoid then, if the fuse keeps blowing on one but not the other. They can and do fail at times. It would be best if you could get a volt meter on it just to make sure,but i know you havent got one. So if its not blowing fuses now youve probably found the issue. Hopefully

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a dodgy solenoid then, if the fuse keeps blowing on one but not the other. They can and do fail at times. It would be best if you could get a volt meter on it just to make sure,but i know you havent got one. So if its not blowing fuses now youve probably found the issue. Hopefully
I have been advised by some guy on youtube that there may be a short in the solenoid, i have ordered a new one and will arrive soon

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

So the bike was all working and functioning yesterday when i wired up new indicators and the horn ready for MOT to get it on the Road.

Had everything books, van hired and took the bike out the garage and it just refused to start. First the bike was just turning over but not starting and then after a while it just did not power up at all.

I have hooked up a jumper starter directly to the lines that go into the battery and still no sign of power anywhere. even the solenoid dont spark when bypassed

Full day wasted and lots of money ! investigation will start tomorrow - anything to look out for???

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
Ok, so bike was working fine and riding, put it away for a day and the next day i took it out. As soon as I pressed the throttle once it was rolling under clutch, something blew and all the power went off. I took off the seat to find the solenoid fuse had blown.
I may be reading this wrong, but, are you saying the throttle housing rolled under the clutch on the handle bars? If so, it's possible that some wire was abraded and shorting out or a plug pulled apart. Trace the throttle cable thru the frame and look for problems. Or, the same for any clutch switch wires.

Look for battery charge too. If you jump the solenoid, something should happen. Look for loose or corrosion on all of the big battery and starter cables and especially the ground cable. Clean them with some fine sand paper or wire brush till shiny. Then add some dielectric or petroleum jelly to each. Try connecting jumper wires from battery ground to chassis ground and motor ground.

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
YS - Go back and read my question again, CAREFULLY this time, and answer what I asked...

What I'm asking is did it ever work properly with the new solenoid or did the fuse start blowing immediately when you installed the new solenoid?

What symptoms caused you to replace the solenoid in the first place?

Was there a period of time AFTER you put in the new solenoid where the quad ran and the fuse DIDNT blow? If so, what changed, if anything, that might have led to fuses blowing?

Give us the full chronology. I doubt it's the solenoid. It's a shame to throw money at it till you know what's wrong.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YS - Go back and read my question again, CAREFULLY this time, and answer what I asked...

What I'm asking is did it ever work properly with the new solenoid or did the fuse start blowing immediately when you installed the new solenoid?

What symptoms caused you to replace the solenoid in the first place?

Was there a period of time AFTER you put in the new solenoid where the quad ran and the fuse DIDNT blow? If so, what changed, if anything, that might have led to fuses blowing?

Give us the full chronology. I doubt it's the solenoid. It's a shame to throw money at it till you know what's wrong.
Hi,

So the solenoid which was first on the bike worked fine, never blew a fuse etc when i took it for a couple of rides. Then i took the bike out and when i was rolling under clutch, i pressed the throttle and the bike lost power, blown fuse.

Ok, so now i went and swapped the solenoid with an old one, this one just clicks once BUT i did the screwdriver trick and it started.

Next day: the bike would not start and solenoid showed no spark when jumper. I connected red starter cable to positive battery and starter motor and no spark, nothing.

At one point the starter made a sound and it sounded like it was spinning freely like a sound of a fast electric drill,

Quad maniac I saw a old post where you helped a french rider fix a similar problem, here are my readings;

BATTERY POSITIVE -

11.38V

RED WIRE AT CONNECTOR ON STARTER RELAY

11.38V

YELLOW BLACK STRIPE WIRE AT CONNECTOR ON STARTER RELAY .

10.96V

BLUE/BLACK STRIPE WIRE AT CONNECTOR ON STARTER RELAY .

10.96V

AGAIN, BLUE AND BLACK STRIPE WIRE AT CONNECTOR STARTER RELAY WITH START BUTTON PUSHED .

0.56V

I have also done the trick of connecting the cable direct to black and yellow cable on cdi to the + on the battery, and nothing.

I also am seing the ( R ) reverse light come on whenever i am putting the bike into gear, could this be causing a issue?? I have tried taking it out of reverse but it dont work...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I may be reading this wrong, but, are you saying the throttle housing rolled under the clutch on the handle bars? If so, it's possible that some wire was abraded and shorting out or a plug pulled apart. Trace the throttle cable thru the frame and look for problems. Or, the same for any clutch switch wires.

Look for battery charge too. If you jump the solenoid, something should happen. Look for loose or corrosion on all of the big battery and starter cables and especially the ground cable. Clean them with some fine sand paper or wire brush till shiny. Then add some dielectric or petroleum jelly to each. Try connecting jumper wires from battery ground to chassis ground and motor ground.
Hi, yes so the bike was rolling under clutch and then when i pressed throttle it blew. However i think theres another issue now as it dont start at all.

THe solenoid only has a single click and nothing when bypassed, also nothing when connected cables direct to starter.

I have wrote in more detail to Quadmaniacs reply below.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
Hi, yes so the bike was rolling under clutch and then when i pressed throttle it blew. However i think theres another issue now as it dont start at all.

THe solenoid only has a single click and nothing when bypassed, also nothing when connected cables direct to starter.

I have wrote in more detail to Quadmaniacs reply below.
Your battery is dead and must be trickle charged for a few days to bring it up to about 13.5 volts. Low voltage will cause high amperage that will blow fuses.

Is it possible that the horn and indicators that were added is causing a problem?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your battery is dead and must be trickle charged for a few days to bring it up to about 13.5 volts. Low voltage will cause high amperage that will blow fuses.

Is it possible that the horn and indicators that were added is causing a problem?
Hi, i have charged this battery for a full day prior, i also have a car jump starter which i hook up whilst i try and start.

I dont think that the indicators and horn caused a issue because once i fitted them i started the bike up... and it worked.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts