Raptor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Btw, why did you replace the starter in the first place? And where did you get the new starter?
Ok i will do this tomorrow now as its dark and cold outside. I swapped the starter around because the other one was blowing fuses, also the new starter came with the replacement engine i purchased.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
Hi,

I took the multimeter and put the red part on the solenoid where the power goes in and the black on the bare metal frame screw hole. It reads 12.91v, so this means power is coming in.
Put your meter back on the solenoid and ground as you did above and read 12 volts. Now hit the start switch and I bet voltage drops way down. Caused by a bad cable, that gray cable looks very suspicious of being corroded inside. If you have some jumper cables, clip one to the battery, the other to the solenoid. Now try to start.

Also, take your jumper cable and jump from the battery to the starter. It should crank over with out the key on.

If you have to wiggle the solenoid it may also be bad.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
BATTERY POSITIVE -

11.38V

RED WIRE AT CONNECTOR ON STARTER RELAY

11.38V

YELLOW BLACK STRIPE WIRE AT CONNECTOR ON STARTER RELAY .

10.96V

BLUE/BLACK STRIPE WIRE AT CONNECTOR ON STARTER RELAY .

10.96V

AGAIN, BLUE AND BLACK STRIPE WIRE AT CONNECTOR STARTER RELAY WITH START BUTTON PUSHED .

0.56V

here are findings for quadmaniacs test.

also i have tried to jump the starter fro battery and nothing happens

·
Registered
224 Posts
That voltage is way too low. You may have a bad battery, or it may not be charged all the way. If you take that battery to the auto parts store, they can test it and tell you if it has any collapsed cells. You will not ever get the starter to turn over with that low of voltage.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That voltage is way too low. You may have a bad battery, or it may not be charged all the way. If you take that battery to the auto parts store, they can test it and tell you if it has any collapsed cells. You will not ever get the starter to turn over with that low of voltage.
This was prior to me charging the battery again, i have fully charged it , i even have used a car portable jump starter. I think the battery is fine as i have 2 and tried both,

·
Registered
224 Posts
Alright. Do you understand what Dez is saying about monitoring the voltage as you provide power to the starter motor?
Monitor the voltage at the battery terminals while trying to start the bike. Let us know what it is.
Then monitor the voltage at the starter motor itself while trying to crank the bike over again and let us know what it is.
In either case, seeing voltage drop below 11v or 11.5v is a red flag.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi
Alright. Do you understand what Dez is saying about monitoring the voltage as you provide power to the starter motor?
Monitor the voltage at the battery terminals while trying to start the bike. Let us know what it is.
Then monitor the voltage at the starter motor itself while trying to crank the bike over again and let us know what it is.
In either case, seeing voltage drop below 11v or 11.5v is a red flag.
Hi,

Yes i will follow what Dez has said tomorrow morning when i start on the bike, Its 12:27am in the UK now and very cold and wet as USUALLLL.

I will measure these voltages, so if it drops below 11v or 11.5v that means that there must be a bad cable?

Also I will try and connect a jumper cable to the solenoid and battery to see if will start as Dez has advised.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Shoot I would jump that thing straight to the starter motor, forget the solenoid. If you can’t get it to start with a fully charged battery directly hooked to the post on the starter motor itself, the starter is dead.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If your battery drops from 12.9v resting, to anything below 11.5v when you try to start, the battery is having issues. This is monitored with multimeter connected to battery terminals.
If it DOESNT drop lower than 11.5v roughly, then connect your multi meter to post on the starter. Try to crank the bike over. If it’s dropping lower than 11v or 11.5v, then there’s something wrong with your wiring.
If it STILL doesn’t drop below that 11.5v mark, and it STILL doesn’t turn over, then your starter is dead. Remove and inspect like that guy in the video does.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Shoot I would jump that thing straight to the starter motor, forget the solenoid. If you can’t get it to start with a fully charged battery directly hooked to the post on the starter motor itself, the starter is dead.
Yeah i tried to jump it straight to the starter today after i fully charged my battery to 12.93V, there was no spark, nothing at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
If your battery drops from 12.9v resting, to anything below 11.5v when you try to start, the battery is having issues. This is monitored with multimeter connected to battery terminals.
If it DOESNT drop lower than 11.5v roughly, then connect your multi meter to post on the starter. Try to crank the bike over. If it’s dropping lower than 11v or 11.5v, then there’s something wrong with your wiring.
If it STILL doesn’t drop below that 11.5v mark, and it STILL doesn’t turn over, then your starter is dead. Remove and inspect like that guy in the video does.

Ok perfect i will try this all in the Morning and then reply on here with the readings.

Thank you for the fast replies and all your guys help!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just to be sure, with your portable jumper battery clamp the positive jumper direct to the starter terminal, not the solenoid, and the black jumper to a ground on the bike and see if it starts. If it starts then there’s an issue with your wiring. If not then the starters dead.

·
Registered
224 Posts
No problem good luck buddy

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
I still think you need to check the grounds from the battery to motor and also to frame.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
After 3 hours cleaning all cables, and taking everything apart to take the starter out, i replaced it with the spare one i had. I then went and connected everything up, press the start button and i get a knocking sound coming from the top part of the engine!!!!!!!! Now, the bike would not stop turning over and i had to dissconnect the battery to shut it off.

I uploaded the sound to youtube, heres the link

I really really hope this is not a engine seizure as i spent so much time and money rebuilding this bike!

Seems like this bike is bad luck or just cursed

·
Registered
224 Posts
First, unplug the solenoid wires that run to your start switch, so that just the cable that runs from your battery and starter are hooked up. Does it still constantly turn over? If so, you fried the solenoid dicking around, replace it.
If it doesn’t, then you have an issue with the start switch wiring.

Btw, your bike isn’t cursed. It’s 14 years old and has unknown maintenance. Luckily the wiring on that quad is not going to be too hard to trouble shoot. Just have some perseverance man. One thing at a time!! Can we just focus on the starter first? Also, your engine is not seized because it’s turning over!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
First, unplug the solenoid wires that run to your start switch, so that just the cable that runs from your battery and starter are hooked up. Does it still constantly turn over? If so, you fried the solenoid dicking around, replace it.
If it doesn’t, then you have an issue with the start switch wiring.

Btw, your bike isn’t cursed. It’s 14 years old and has unknown maintenance. Luckily the wiring on that quad is not going to be too hard to trouble shoot. Just have some perseverance man. One thing at a time!! Can we just focus on the starter first? Also, your engine is not seized because it’s turning over!
Okay so ill unplug them wires running into the solenoid and then see if it turns over. Could the reverse gear or something have an impact on that knocking sound? When i press the clutch up the R light goes off, but then when i roll the quad forward it goes into gear. I cant seem to get it our of R.

I will try what you said and then get back to you on that. I will also check switch wiring to double check there all in correct.

Anyway, yes i dont think previous owner did any maintenance on this bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can you please clarify what you mean by “throttle rolled under clutch?”

Youve said it a few times and I don’t think any of us know what that means.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Can you please clarify what you mean by “throttle rolled under clutch?”

Youve said it a few times and I don’t think any of us know what that means.
Do you know when you start the bike and put it into gear, and then slowly let go of the clutch, it rolls dont it, or moves a little ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ohhh alright. I get you.

41 - 60 of 119 Posts