Raptor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Any update with unplugging those wires on the solenoid?

FYI letting go of the clutch will not cause that fuse to blow. And a blown fuse would definitely not cause your bike to die! There is something else that happened.
Only no power to the spark plug would cause it to die. Speaking of which, pull the plug out and crank the bike over. Are you getting spark?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So, i took the wire harness out of the
Any update with unplugging those words?
Yeah just went and unplugged the wires going into the solenoid and the bike still tries to start. I just swapped to a different solenoid and now it only tries to start off the button when i press it so thats good BUT the bikes still making a very loud clanking/knocking sound from the engine as seen in that video i posted

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Any update with unplugging those wires on the solenoid?

FYI letting go of the clutch will not cause that fuse to blow. And a blown fuse would definitely not cause your bike to die! There is something else that happened.
Only no power to the spark plug would cause it to die. Speaking of which, pull the plug out and crank the bike over. Are you getting spark?
The fuse issue seems to be fixed now as nothing is blowing off anymore. There is spark i just checked with the spark plug pulled.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Great news. Leave those accessories unplugged for now if you want to trouble shoot why the engine is making that noise.
Think hard, what happened when your bike died the first time. You said you heard something blow? Fuses don’t make any noise. And of course, if the fuse blew and the starter solenoid went out, there is no way it would cause the engine to quit. I’m guessing something happened that first time your bike died.
did you check all fluids and what not? The bike won’t fire no matter how long you crank?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
When the bike died when the fuse blew, i fixed it and he bike started etc. Then the next day it just did not start, no power.

I took a socket and tried turning over the bike turning it towards the front of the bike. It turned but not fully so i stopped. I then left that and then fixed the wiring and then it has a loud clanking sound.

Im not sure if it will fire up, i dont want to try since the knocking sound is very loud and I dont want to mess up the whole engine or damaged piston/rod.

Hard knocking from the engine must be caused by something inside it? I have not ridden it hard or even at all since the new engine rebuild.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I see. Well you have a few options. You fixed the starter circuit. Congrats. That’s a pretty good start. Now you need to figure out why it blew in the first place.

There’s only two options the way I see it, maybe someone else can chime in, you either -
1. Start it up
OR
2. Tear the top end out and inspect.

You should buy a mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint the location of the clanking. I can hear it in the video, but only you can tell what’s really going on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I see. Well you have a few options. You fixed the starter circuit. Congrats. That’s a pretty good start. Now you need to figure out why it blew in the first place.

There’s only two options the way I see it, maybe someone else can chime in, you either -
1. Start it up
OR
2. Tear the top end out and inspect.

You should buy a mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint the location of the clanking. I can hear it in the video, but only you can tell what’s really going on.
Im not sure why it blew i would not have the slightest clue, it was the fuse that blew nothing else, i know as whn i put another fuse in it blew straight away and made a little pop sound.

Ok, so it sounds like the piston is hitting the top of something and its really loud, sounds like something if breaking,...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well shoot man what are you gonna do? You built the engine, you would know what might have happened.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I assembled the whole engine properly and it ran and started very nice and smooth. I did not adjust any valves or anything when i put everything back together, could this be causing the knocking or making the valves hit the piston ??
Is it worth adjust them to see if it still knocks, or to just take off the top end ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just a quick thought,but once you said it sounded like the starter freewheeled...these are known for the one-way starter bearing going bad,and also the allen head bolts that hold the bearing on are known for backing out and getting sheared off...could be one of the bolts backing out and catching...maybe...???...hopefully..!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Again, I would get a mechanics stethoscope for like $10 bucks at the auto parts store and pinpoint where the sound is coming from.
Sickofit has a good point too. If you get the stethoscope, then you’ll be able to crank it over without starting, and listen to find where the sound is the loudest.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Another easy thing to check, does it make that noise when you compression start it? IE roll it with clutch in, then drop into second or third. That might tell you some good information too, before you spend hours tearing random parts of the engine apart to find a noise you didn’t try to locate with the proper tools.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I was just thinking it would be easy to pull your chain tensioner out and double check it looks to be working properly. If it isn’t, you could have jumped a tooth on your timing and have valves hitting.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Just a quick thought,but once you said it sounded like the starter freewheeled...these are known for the one-way starter bearing going bad,and also the allen head bolts that hold the bearing on are known for backing out and getting sheared off...could be one of the bolts backing out and catching...maybe...???...hopefully..!!
Hi mate, so i changed the starter motor with the spare one.

So where and how do i locate this bearing? Or diagnose this issue your stating? Can you please show me a picture or explain how to check if this bolt is sticking out or something? Sounds like it could be this if im honest as the engine has just been built and I dont think it would mess up this fast.

Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Another easy thing to check, does it make that noise when you compression start it? IE roll it with clutch in, then drop into second or third. That might tell you some good information too, before you spend hours tearing random parts of the engine apart to find a noise you didn’t try to locate with the proper tools.
Yes it makes that noise when its stationary and i trying to start it. I still cant get it out of Reverse. When i try and put it into any other gear it dont work. I kick the clutch up and it goes into neuteral but if i move it alittle forward, it gets into reverse gear.

This is also the same if i kick it down it goes straight into reverse. any idea how to get out of this? Maybe could be the issue as iv never used reverse...

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yes it makes that noise when its stationary and i trying to start it. I still cant get it out of Reverse. When i try and put it into any other gear it dont work. I kick the clutch up and it goes into neuteral but if i move it alittle forward, it gets into reverse gear.

This is also the same if i kick it down it goes straight into reverse. any idea how to get out of this? Maybe could be the issue as iv never used reverse...
How did you install a new engine and not know about reverse? Do you know theres a lever on the lower left side of the engine that activates it? This lever should be connected by a cable to a knob on the right front fender, but if you don’t have that it could have been deleted.
When you pull the lever, you will be able to shift all the way down into reverse. You will not be able to shift into reverse unless there is tension on that mechanism. Some thing is going on. Pull on the lever and shift up and down and few times. See what happens.

·
Registered
913 Posts
this is the reverse lever location circled in red

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
How did you install a new engine and not know about reverse? Do you know theres a lever on the lower left side of the engine that activates it? This lever should be connected by a cable to a knob on the right front fender, but if you don’t have that it could have been deleted.
When you pull the lever, you will be able to shift all the way down into reverse. You will not be able to shift into reverse unless there is tension on that mechanism. Some thing is going on. Pull on the lever and shift up and down and few times. See what happens.
I mean i know there is a reverse, I only said i have never used it when riding the bike. And now i cant seem to get it out of reverse, but i will try and get it out somehow...

And thanks for the starter clutch video. I know how to take that off as i assembled mine, BUT what was the allen bolts that @sickofitt mentioned? Is it these ones that i have attached a picture of ?

61 - 80 of 144 Posts