Raptor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
took off the stator cover and look what i found ,
. a very very loose stator bolt! I have now used loctite and screwed it back on tight. Ok the bike now starts up BUT its having some issues.

It starts but runs and sounds very rough. Just before i came in i started it and then turned it off, then all a sudden the bike started up by its self , not pressing no buttons and was in gear, it would of gone through my garage if i did not have a wood slab blocking the rear wheels. I had to then dissconnect the battery to get it to turn off as it would not go off, There was also smoke coming out from under the engine area and smelt like burning plastic.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well I suppose that’s good and bad news lol. Clearly you have a ground issue. I’d trace the wires to the starter relay carefully. Either the switch shorted out, or the relay itself. Possibly something else but it’s a good place to start.
Obviously figure out where the smoke came from....bet you’ll find some melted wires.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Well I suppose that’s good and bad news lol. Clearly you have a ground issue. I’d trace the wires to the starter relay carefully. Either the switch shorted out, or the relay itself. Possibly something else but it’s a good place to start.
Obviously figure out where the smoke came from....bet you’ll find some melted wires.
Yeah, so this new problem is from bad wiring, or bad ground?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well bro only you can tell us that... but we can theorize on likely culprits for you to start somewhere.
If you had a bad ground, IE loose or corroded, then the circuit wouldn’t complete and thus would not ever start. Since you said you saw a bunch of smoke and then the starter wouldn’t stop turning over, we know your ground is def good!

The way that circuit works is like this - the starter motor is grounded permanently to the case. The only way you can break the circuit and prevent it turning over is by breaking the positive wire power running to it. Remember that bad relay that wasn’t letting any power get to it? You completed the circuit by jumping those terminals and it turned over.

Now, if it wouldn’t stop turning over, then we know that it is getting power from somewhere it shouldn’t. Since the starter is ground internally, then that really only leaves that positive wire running to it as the culprit, or the relay wiring running to your start button.

If the wiring in those circuits was cut or worn and the bare metal inside the wires made contact with a ground, (which again is any part of metal on your quad), then it could create a short circuit and fry the wiring and possibly turn the starter over at the same time.

You saw smoke, and you heard the starter turn. There’s only a few circuits that interact with the starter and I’d first start with this -
1. Check the wiring that runs to the start button for melted parts or where the smoke could have originated.
2. Check the large gauge wire that runs to the starter and to the battery for signs of failure as well.
3. Check your relay again

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good luck man

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Ok, i charged the battery fully and now the bike started up and the starter motor is fine. Everything seems good now, please check out the video. Not sure how that fixed it but yeah its fine now.

Also, there is still smoke coming out the exhaust pipe areas as you can see from the video. I have tightened the bolts but its still smoking... How can i fix this? I did put new gaskets on the exhaust when i assembled it back together.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow man that does not sound good when you rev it! I guess it could be the video but damn. Does it sound normal to you in person?
And how long did it smoke for? Could be as simple as dripped oil all over the exhaust.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
It sounds normal in person, it has a aftermarket powerbomb exxhaust on it, but im sure it sounds normal

And its been smoking like that since i rebuilt the engine. you can see how to smoke comes out in parts all a sudden.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You understand that it should not have smoking coming out of any parts though right? The only parts even open to the atmosphere are the air filter and the exhaust.

That said, how come you can’t just crouch down and look at where all the smoke is originating from? If you really can’t do that, just take another video while it’s running and point the camera around so we can see what’s going on.

You’ll have better luck if you get down low and look up, so that your face isn’t in the smoke.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I have already checked where the smoke is coming from and mentioned it...Its coming from where the exhaust fixings are on the engine. Its coming out from that surrounds. Anyway, bike is running and I took it out for a ride and was pulling great. IS going to a garage for a full service and new brake parts etc..

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry must have missed that. Glad to hear you are riding it again. I’m not sure it’s supposed to be smoking at all though brother...even it’s leaking from the exhaust ports on the head. Looks to be burning oil.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Also, if you can rebuild your engine I’m confident you can replace some brake parts and change fluids included in a “full service”.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Yeahno worries and ill get the shop to take a look at that smoke and why the oils burning, I think it might just be

I would, but its too much work and hassle and I dont have any free time. It gets dark in the UK at 4:30PM and it is literally raining and cold all day everyday! , rather leave them todo the small parts and just get the bike road worthy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Disconnect those 3 power cables and charge the battery to about 13.5 volts and I bet it will start. Then test the battery voltage running, it should be about 14 volts.

Then, get a Bosch 40/50 amp relay and run the 3 power cables thru it, triggered by the ignition to turn on.
hi dez,
I am going to re wire my indicators and horn soon. You was on about running the power for them throguh a Bosch relay or something ? Can you please send me a link where to buy this relay as I can’t find it.
Thanks

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
hi dez,
I am going to re wire my indicators and horn soon. You was on about running the power for them throguh a Bosch relay or something ? Can you please send me a link where to buy this relay as I can’t find it.
Thanks
I looked at the UK ebay and found lots of "Bosch relays" and prewired plug for around $12-$15 shipped.
This will allow a low amperage ignition 'on' to trigger the relay to add the additional lights, horn and any additional wiring, and then turn off with the ignition.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I looked at the UK ebay and found lots of "Bosch relays" and prewired plug for around $12-$15 shipped.
This will allow a low amperage ignition 'on' to trigger the relay to add the additional lights, horn and any additional wiring, and then turn off with the ignition.
CAn you please send me the link and also the plugs, and how to install these?
I already got a horn relay and a indicator relay installed, so where and how od i install this bosch relay.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
hi,

so i had the bike started for 20 mins and it sounded like it was idling fine and smooth,

i turned it off for 5 mins and then started it again and the bike sounded like it was choking , i also heard a knocking sound from the top end. Could this need the valves adjusting or something??

Please watch video i have tried my best to try get the knocking sound on camera.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
CAn you please send me the link and also the plugs, and how to install these?
I already got a horn relay and a indicator relay installed, so where and how od i install this bosch relay.
The Bosch relay was to isolate the horn and lights from the ignition system. If you already have them connected then don't worry about it.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts