Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made the mistake of letting my dumb drunk arsss friend ride my relatively new raptor, he rolled it not once but twice on each side ( never again) . I had recently purchased new smooth tires and rims for the front and now they both have a slow leak in them. Are the rims bent? Anyway to solve this issue? I heard mixing radiator stop leak fluid might do the trick, not sure. One of the beads popped off and i took it to the local shop to repair. The guy popped it back in place but there was clearly sand in the tire, should they be completely cleaned out?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Yeah sand between the brad can cause sloooooow leakage.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Yes clean them out, then reset the bead and see if they still leak, then maybe some fix a flat. Hey Dano who's brad

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Was they blue label rims? If so they bend easy could have just a small enough bend they don't seal but it's the sand 85% of the time.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Remove the rires from the rims and clean them properly, then reinstall the tires and you should be good, unless the rims are bent............

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Remove the rires from the rims and clean them properly, then reinstall the tires and you should be good, unless the rims are bent............
Yes sir the only way to truly tell what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I use whats called SLIME or an automotive tire sealant it wont last but gets you out of trouble when the money aint there to buy new tires. Id just pop those tires off check the rims re-bend them into shape with a hammer and 2 by 4. Takes the frustration out of having dumb drunken friends roll your rappy then re-install you should be good to go. Just clean em out good. Oh another thing next time you have a friend that wants to ride the rappy KICK yourself in the head tree or four times before you say yes it usually takes the pain away from seeing it roll by with no one on it LOL. I dont let anyone ride my baby drunk or not meds or not. Well i do let my turd personality ride but thats beside the point LMAO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, I will be dammed if anyone will use my toys anymore. It is amazing how many people i know are anal as hell about their own toys but have absolutely no respect for anyone elses property.

Anyways, I did some research on the subject and came across the following post I copied from gd.com:

this is my favorite tire sealer method; and I've used it since 1996 with 100% great results. No leaks, no clumping after prolonged storage, no rim corrosion, washes out with water, and REALLY CHEAP!

(PER PADDLE)-- 1- 8oz bottle of Liquid Alumaseal Radiator Stop Leak, mixed with 15 ounces of regular Anti-Freeze (non- Dex),.. I use Peak brand.

You have to stir the Alumaseal with a screwdriver to get the stuff in the bottom of the bottle blended with the liquid. Then pour it into an old gear oil bottle along with the Anti-freeze, and use the gear oil spout tip with 6" of vinyl tubing to connect to your valve stem (core removed), then squeeze the bottle 'till empty. You HAVE to shake the bottle alot to keep the stop leak in suspension. Drive the car a mile or so and you're done.

I split 1 bottle between the 2 front tires.

My car will sit all summer, and the tires NEVER go flat!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They had another post about using slime:

Slime can corrode certain types of wheels...

This was taken directly from their web site...

I've heard that SLiME will ruin my rims?

Our SLiME Sealant for tubeless tires is formulated with rust and corrosion inhibitors as well as a pH buffer making the product more alkaline. All of these ingredients work to protect the integrity of your rim. It is important to note there are factors which can allow damage to occur in spite of this. If you want to err on the side of caution, you can use SLiME as a roadside repair. All you need is SLiME and an air compressor! SLiME can have an adverse affect on certain types of aluminum rims. Because alloys differ, it is difficult to predict how SLiME will react with your rims specifically. Over the years, though, we have found that older rims are more susceptible to damage from SLiME. Make sure that, if you have tubeless tires, you are using our tubeless formula. Our inner tube formula does not contain rust and corrosion inhibitors. Do not leave SLiME inside your tires for more than 2 years. After that time, we cannot guarantee the integrity of your rims. If pre-existing damage is present, we do not recommend using SLiME.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kali,

Just do like the other guys said. First dismount them and then clean the tires really good and do the same on the wheel (rim). I bet that will fix you problem. Also if it still leaks you can add a bead of silicon. Just a small amount of dirt or sand can really mess with you bead. I hit a berm to hard and pack dirt in my bead and intill I complete un mounted the tire it wouldnt seat again. i tried cleaning them still mounted with the bead broken and it still had a small leak - not as bad as before but still a leak. Once I unmounted - NEVER LEAKED AGAIN

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I wouldn't use slime, fix a flat, radiator stop leak, or any other liquid sealant. Aside from making a complete mess you aren't guaranteed to stop the issue. If it does dry inside you'll end up with an uneven balance. If it doesn't dry inside you'll get a nice sloshing and possibly even some of the liquid leaking at the bead where your air leaks now. When you do break down the wheel/tire to fix the problem because the sealant didn't do the trick you now have a nasty mess to clean up because no tire shop is going to want to touch it.

As was said before, I would strongly suggest removing the tires, cleaning the bead, and bending back whatever part of the wheel you have likely bent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts