Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im basically at the last step of adjusting my valves. Mike has been walking me through once I got past the heat shield but I cant get a hold of him now :( I know I probably aggravated him to much but maybe hes busy now. So can someone else help me. All I need to know is how do I actually adjust the valves. I dont understand it. I unloosened the 10 mm bolt but thats where Im stuck at. He said that once I loosen it, I can use a needle nose pliers. But what do I actually twist because I dont know. I know Im an idiot but please help someone because everything is teared down and I want to finish tonight.

·
Registered
841 Posts
your adjusting the tappet (think thats what its called)....your gonna turn the piece that the 10mm holds tight in other words, only thing i found out its kinda tricky if your not using the "right" tools may have to tighten and untighten the 10mm bolt a few times to get it right cause when you tightn the 10mm botl it will tighten the tappet also so just make sure it dont move when tightening it back up

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its funny you are the one that answered. Ive been calling Ben because I know you and him are buddies and I was going to ask him for your number because I seen where you said you did yours a couple weeks ago. Thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
Tahts is funny, I really just realized it was you that was askin for the help on this....did that help ya at all? heres a pic (with my gangstar photo skills..HA) of what it is Im talkin about...I jsut rode mine a lil bit for the first time since I did em...I can tell a difference....

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sorry man...my night got a little freaky when my son busted his nose/mouth and covered 2 shirts in blood. By the time we got him to calm down, and evaulated it was pretty late and I didn't even look at my phone "which was in the other room" until this morning. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

M

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks...he's ok just busted his lips x2 and a nice bloody nose. I don't think he broke anything and he didn't knock out any teeth thank god. At 17 months it only takes a moment and they can trip and fall and turn a great night into a frantic one.

M

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
ha.. stunt punk you bought a valve tappet tool too!!! i did and when i opened the covers up i didnt even need mine, just turned them with my fingers till snug agianst the feeler gauge and snugged up the lock nut, and rechecked the clearence. had to do it a couple of times to get it right.. did you notice the valves ticking a little after you adjusted yours?? mine does a little and i did too notice a gain in speed and take off or simply to say more power than before...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mike. Got them adjusted and its running good. Hope your little one is doing alright. It was pretty simple though. I think I would do better without the extra tools even though I did not use them to know what its like. That seems to be to much unless you have an extra set of hands to work with. Thanks again Mike and stuntpunkjames. Saved me over $200 for sure.

·
Registered
234 Posts
$200?? i just got mine adusted for $90

·
Registered
556 Posts
I got all the tools and there is gains by having them because you can adjust them once and be done. Its not like they were/are $200 bucks. I picked up all the tools as shown in the pages and I like having them IMO vs back and forth again and again until you get them right.

Regardless at the end of the day if you did your own valves and got ALL the tools...you still have saved money

M

·
Registered
841 Posts
07raptorgytr said:
ha.. stunt punk you bought a valve tappet tool too!!! i did and when i opened the covers up i didnt even need mine, just turned them with my fingers till snug agianst the feeler gauge and snugged up the lock nut, and rechecked the clearence. had to do it a couple of times to get it right.. did you notice the valves ticking a little after you adjusted yours?? mine does a little and i did too notice a gain in speed and take off or simply to say more power than before...
No that pics was fromt he write up, I spend no money outta pocket to do mine I had the feelers and some needle nose....my shop here wanted close to $200 to do the valves and all that bullshit for the first service...ha right fuck that.....and for the power YES I can tell a difference, I couldnt believe it...they are a lil louder but it doesnt bother me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.