Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am new to this site. i have been doing a lot of surching. but have not found an anser to my queston. the only person that i saw that listed they had a stage 2 cam and 11-1 piston showed that they had 185, 190 jets. i was running 146, 148 from a fmf jet kit. my bike was the hardest bike to ride out of any that i have ever been on. no low end lots of mid, and would lay over on top. i could not hit the revlimiter if i tryed. so i changed the jets, pilots 27.5, mains 180, 190, needles middle L, and 4th R(leaner) now i can dump the clutch a idle without gas and it will not stall. mid is like no other. just putting in 4th gear and it will lift the front with a blip of the throttle. but up top it is a little better but it will not rev to the limiter and has a little pop once in a while. i know that it is now to rich. now this bike has the low and mid that i have been missing, but needs top end.

my question is what would you recomend as the proper mains. i am thinking 170, 175 would that be right or wrong. i am at about 400' above see level.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Welcome to the site.

As for your jetting, 146/148 are dynojet numbers and they could be a bit lean at sea level. Try one size up if you stick with the DJ.

The DJ needles will work on the middle (3rd) clip if you're running a no-lid stock airbox and no porting.

180/190 mikuni mains are too much of a space between sizes, you need to swap back to a 185/190 or 180/185 and try again if you stick with the mikuni mains.

Regardless of your jetting you shouldn't be routinely hitting the rev limiter in 4th and 5th gear. The limiter is at 9k rpm or so and the stage 2 cam just isn't that aggressive. Besides the bike stops making power well before 9k rpms in 1st-4th gears and should've been shifted accordingly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't hit the limiter in, 4th i idle in 4th, and the bike will not hit the limiter in 1st, or 2nd. i only have 3 acers. and cant go any faster then top of second. i know that power tapers off but it should still have enough power to continue reving to the limiter once. i don't usually hit the limiter, but if i change something that is where i stop the test run.

so do you sugjest that the reason for me running rich is becouse of the gap in the jets? i was thinking of pulling the 190 out and replacing it with the 148 to see if that helped, beause it is only a single cylinder.i did however look at the k&n and lit was completely covered in mud, the first thing that i am going to do is clean that.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I could never hit the limiter in anything but first and occasionally second gear with that cam, and I had to try pretty hard to do it. The bike shouldn't be able to rev all the way to the limiter. It's a big piston and a big stroke, it's not made to rev like the 400's and 450 four strokes.

It's a single cylinder but it's a dual carb feeding three intake valves. That's why the offset is important. Please do not mix and match the mains, you'll just confuse the hell out of yourself and anyone who tries to help. I suggested you change the mikunis to get the offset right. I suggested the possibility of upping the dynojets because you specified an occasional backfire problem on decell from top end.

A dirty filter, and most assuredly a filthy one will have significant effects on the effective air/fuel mixture going into the head. It'd be a waste of time to continue tuning until the filter is cleaned properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first thing i am going to do this morning is clean the filter. it has almost enough mud on it to make it look smooth. i can not see the pleats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts