Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have tested similar devices in automotive applications. Basically they do not change the amount of energy available at the plug. They simply discharge the same amount of energy over a shorter period of time. Physics dictate that you cant make any more energy than what the coil has already discharged. You can however change the characteristics of the spark a bit and that’s what these type devices do. I have spoken to people that swear up and down that their machine runs better with these things but we haven’t been able to make it happen on our dyno’s.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wasn't planning on buying one lol! i simply asked was it worth a damn. i couldn't imagine that makes much of a difference. who i could have been wrong. i was just searching the site and saw it and thought maybe someone here would know more about it than i do. thank yall!

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Worthless, from a physics standpoint.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I run a Nology Coil with their Hot Wires on my banshee. It made it fire up a little easier. Guys have dyno tested them and claim around a 2 hp increase.

I would probably run that setup on my raptor but they dont make their hot wires for specific machines. The banshee has just regular 90 spark plug boots and the plugs are exposed. Where the raptor needs to have the long hard plastic boot wich is fine. They just dont make one that would seal like the factory one. So the risk of getting sand or dirt down in the cylinder when you pull the plug isnt worth it for me.

I believe the hot wires work on the same principal as the I Cat.

http://www.nology.com/hotwork.html

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
And again, regardless of 'testimonials' - the physics just doesn't back the claims.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
And again, regardless of 'testimonials' - the physics just doesn't back the claims.
In the banshee world a Nology or Dyna coils is an upgrade that is worth it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I run a Nology Coil with their Hot Wires on my banshee. It made it fire up a little easier. Guys have dyno tested them and claim around a 2 hp increase.

I believe the hot wires work on the same principal as the I Cat.

http://www.nology.com/hotwork.html
Very interested to hear you speak of the Nology Hotwire. I have one from a previous racing endeavor and was looking at using it on my 700. Bought another coil to attach the wire to but haven't got around to finishing the project.
I too subscribe to the theroy of using the available spark energy and firing it all off in one infinitely short duration spark rather than lowering the intensity with a longer duration spark.
Same overall spark energy, just a bigger bang.

I be interested to hear what MSD Mike has to say about them.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
RE hotwires or 'amplifiers' - yes, they can reduce the spark duration and increase instantaneous spark voltage - but at a loss of RMS spark energy... nothing is free and anything added has some inherent loss - this is immutable. So, when adding any of these passive systems what you end up with is LESS energy at the spark plug, PERIOD.

RE the coil - certainly, more windings on the ouput will generate higher output voltage... but again, unless more current is drawn from the CDI (more than designed for), the integrated energy at the plug will be the same.

Can anyone tell me whether a higher voltage, shorter duration spark OR a lower voltage, longer duration spark is truly better, on the average, for this engine? No conjecture or wive's tales, please... just pure, simple science.

BTW, I was always taught that the way to adjust spark voltage/duration was to tweak the spark plug gap - wider = higher breakdown voltage (this is the same thing these 'amplifiers' do - the ones I've seen just have a relatively large internal spark gap).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i think that just about sums it up for me thanks quadmaniac!

·
Registered
92 Posts
nology makes such an intense spark it'll ignite better then a lower intensity and more duration. same as a 3 plug head . compare it to heating a pop can with a lighter then do the same with a propane torch .
I'm not an engineer and i can be wrong this is just what i think.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Honestly, that's the problem, Boum... unless you have an engineering degree, you really won't understand why the suggested 'improvements' are really the opposite. There IS no free lunch.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
So I guess MSD is just a sham and even has top fuel draggster teams and every one else in motor sports fooled? Why cant a coil put out a higher voltage?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts