Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well from the factory they come with an NGK DR7EA plug. I changed mine to an NGK Iridium IV DR7EIX plug because I had a few ebay bucks that were gonna expire and didn't know what to spend it on lol. I think after the change, the throttle response is just a tiny bit better.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so what should i get? And will replacing it with a better spark plug help it start better?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well if you don't mind spending 10 bucks on a spark plug i would go with the NGK Iridium. You'll never have to replace the plug, ever. Can't really tell you if it starts any better, my 250 has always been real good about starting up quickly. On a cold start, its like less than a second after i hit the button that its started and running. And when its warm out, I don't even need to choke it to get it cold started. But if you're having trouble starting your quad, I would adjust the valves, that should fix your problem.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea mine needs it bad! 4 a cold start i have to fully choke it and give it gas. Once again my dad doesnt think ur supposed to get a valve adj to break it in.

ITS A BITCH, i need to make him pop his head out and realize it needs done!!! :mad:

·
Registered
836 Posts
your still breaking it in? I'm sure you got way more than the recommended 20 hours of no more than 3/4 throttle riding time on there.. Once you go through about 3 full tanks of gas you can start riding it full throttle, you don't really need to go by what the book says, almost nobody does lol.

Jeez, I think your dad needs a little engine knowledge.. You should show him the periodic maintenance chart in the service manual that came with the quad, and show him that a valve adjustment is necessary. don't you have any friends that are good with motors that could adjust your valves for you?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my dad is good with motors he helped build his camaro engine with the pros.

and is that maintenece chart int the manuel? if it is ill definatly show him.

and its definatly broke in i mean it still needs the valves adjusted. i have probably around 50-60hrs on it. i run it like normal

·
Registered
836 Posts
yes the maintenance chart is in the manual

·
Registered
836 Posts
yeah, just to get it started, but once the engine is running i turn the choke off. It doesn't need to be choked very long, maybe like 10 seconds or so.

·
Registered
836 Posts
And I don't pull the choke out all the way either, i just pull it out to the first click

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
o ok mines not as bad as i thought then. i thought u meant u dont use the choke at all for starting.lol

yea i choke it like u do for cold starts, it might require more chokage when it gets colder. also i dont use choke for warm weather

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yep, that's the one. I made the mistake of buying them at the dealer when I was doing jetting. Cost like $20 for 3 of them

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah, that is the factory NGK plug that comes in the 250. haha, i bought 3 of them on ebay and it cost me about 20 bucks too lol. Then I bought the iridium plug, and i still have 2 brand new factory plugs in the NGK boxes lol.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Haha yeah. That plus a 12 dollar OEM oil filter...Twice as much as a car filter thats 4 times the size

·
Registered
836 Posts
what a rip off those little filters are.. i think tusk has the best deal there, 5 oil filters for what 30 bucks?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts