Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on page 3-15 /3-16in the service manual it says how to adjust the speed limiter by adjusting the screw.
i'm at work so i can't check till i get home tonight, but off hand..
Do you think the screw is already out all the way after dealer set up? is this a part they wouldn't even touch during set up?
i was just curious since i was reading the service manual, while i'm suppose to be working...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Mine was turned in when I picked it up from the dealer, but they also informed me of it. Little safety precaution for break in. :lol:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
really? dang, that sucks. . i'm sure it could be the same on everyone's, everyone might want to check it out if they havn't, i didn't even think about it till i was reading it right now...i'm gonig to check it out 2night. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Simple thing to do is while the key is off just open the throttle all the way up and you should hear the internal throttle stop in the TB "tick". Just work the thumb throttle back and forth quickly and listen next to the engine and you will hear it is the blade is gettin fully open. If not adjust the screw on the thunb throttle housing out until its not in the way.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I imediatly removed mine, I used a dremel tool with a cut off blade to shorten the screw. I used red loctite and re-installed never to looked at again.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VelociRaptor said:
Simple thing to do is while the key is off just open the throttle all the way up and you should hear the internal throttle stop in the TB "tick". Just work the thumb throttle back and forth quickly and listen next to the engine and you will hear it is the blade is gettin fully open. If not adjust the screw on the thunb throttle housing out until its not in the way.
sweet, i'll check into that TICK tonight
so last night i get home and check it out and mine was twice as long after i unscrewed it, but i was wondering if it was fully open half way in -and if i just unscrewed the excess screw.. does anyone know? did i just unlock pandoras box and am going to crap my huggies when i ride next time???

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
GEARHEAD9969 said:
I imediatly removed mine, I used a dremel tool with a cut off blade to shorten the screw. I used red loctite and re-installed never to looked at again.

thats exactly what I did....so that dub thing was not just hanging out.

.....mine too was all the way out from the factory. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
135boom said:
GEARHEAD9969 said:

hey mr boombastic, how far out is all the way out? is half of the screw considered all the way out? or the entire screw must be out to get full throttle.. think i was getting robbed with mine half way in?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
NICK said:
135boom said:
GEARHEAD9969 said:

hey mr boombastic, how far out is all the way out? is half of the screw considered all the way out? or the entire screw must be out to get full throttle.. think i was getting robbed with mine half way in?

....If you take your throttle lid off and look inside you will see where the bolt comes threw. Now, depress the throttle all the way in and see if it comes in contact with the screw. IF it does, you are being limited. If its not, than its just a screw hanging out your throttle doing nothing.
What I did was cut it down so that it screw in flush with the outside, and inside. Has no chance of ever coming in contact. Plus I saved weight....HAHAHA :eek:
If yours was half way in, it could be coming into contact with your throttle. BUT, the stock screw is rather long, so I am not sure.
Just pop off the 3 philips head screws and you'll see :thumbsup:

Reactions: Blake Lawson

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, cool. i'll check it at lunch :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i get home for lunch today and take off the top so i can check where it hits at, and i put the screw back to exactly where it was(you could totally see the fresh line) and i'll be dammed if it wasn't hitting that damn screw, by about 3-4 threads, doesn't sound like much,but that's a good size on that little screw, so what i'm wondering is how it will change my ride,. what would that take away/add for performance? about 500-1000 rpms in each gear?? i can't wait to go riding! should be a nice ride next time, i adjusted the shifter up a notch, lines up great now!, i suggest every newbie check that and this along with the fans/pump/grease before your first ride... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
yeah no kidding. You were probably never getting your TB 100% open!

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Back in the 400EX days I had about 5 buddys with em and one of em was gettin out ran by about a quad length when they all raced each other and another one was always a quad length faster, the other 3 were about equal. We all thought that 3 of em were about average and had 1 factory freak and one that was a "late hatch". I got to lookin at the "late hatch" one day and noticed there was alot of slack in the thumb throttle so I adjusted it like I always done mine(I had a ATC350X) and told him that we all needed to run em again so we all got out there and lined all 6 up and let er rip. The "late hatch" wa consistently 1/2 a quad ahead of the main 3 everytime....he was stoked and so was I :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
damn, i can't wait to try it out now, me and a buddy went to el mirage a while back and he has a z400 w most bolt on's, and we did a bunch of top speed drag runs and then i did some with the speed sensor removed, wish i could get back there to compare it now that i'll get more juice..

·
Registered
33 Posts
i just pulled off the whole screw could that be a bad thing :3question:

·
Registered
12 Posts
never rode mine with the thumb throttle.....ditched that bitch right away and went twist!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
raptorlte305 said:
i just pulled off the whole screw could that be a bad thing :3question:
Yeah, you can get water and crap inside the throttle now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts