Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of doing this mod since I've got my big 3 done and I found some nice areas that I can get on it for a while.

So my question is, how is the relabity of this mod? I've been reading through the how to thread and see people go back a forth with this about cutting wires and possibly getting engine lights etc. Is this really worth taking the chance, I don't want to cut anything only to have issues down the road.

I look at it like if it's running strong why mess with it, but I love customizing my toys

·
Registered
426 Posts
how are people going back and forth???? the ones that got the engine lights did not follow it. it is simple. ground the baby blue wire to the frame and you go from 75 top speed to roughly 82-85 on a big three setup. What problems are you worried about having? if the top speed is fast enough for you don't cut it.

The blue wire sends ground pulses anyway. its not like grounding a hot wire or anything. All it does is stops the computer from retarding the timing in 5th gear....NOTHING more NOTHING less.

there are zero side effects if done right. ( hard to mess up)

we have two 700's with this mod. one has 1600 something hours and the other is pretty much new. NO issuses to this point. Nor will there ever be any with this mod.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't look at the tread recently but maybe I am thinking the back and forth part being the ones that didn't do it correct and had those engine light issues. I have to go back through the thread and make my decsion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i think the check engine light comes on when people just unplug the sensor, does the same job... just have to plug it back in to clear the code?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
i think the check engine light comes on when people just unplug the sensor, does the same job... just have to plug it back in to clear the code?
Exactly. 4 things you can do here.
1) leave it alone and keep the ignition retarding in 5th gear limiting your topspeed.
2) unplug the sensor and go ride your quad in 5th gear with no ignition retarding and higher topspeed. Just be advised that at some point ( for me it was around 6-8 hours of riding) the check engine will come on and you'll have to plug it back in ..role forward a ways...clears check engine..then unplug again and you're good to go again for another period of time.
3) cut the wire and ground it and dont go through the hastle of unplugging and replugging in option 2.
4) buy a dynatek ignition that not only gives several more hp...but also kills the ignition retarding in 5th without unplugging or cutting anything. Best option. Most expensive option.

I went from option 2 to option 4 on my machine :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
135boom makes a good point

you have a few choices....not sure why people are scared to try something. FFS just unplug it if you cannot bring yourself to do something that has been proven by others to work and is a permanate fix (cut wire / buy an ignition) one option is free one is not...pretty much a no brainer for a big 3 mod person who dosn't need any more mods

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I might get the dynatek instead, more up sounds better than just a larger top speed. So where is the best place to get the dynatek? I searched eBay real quick and there are a few with prices all over the place, not sure the difference if any on them

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I think I might get the dynatek instead, more up sounds better than just a larger top speed. So where is the best place to get the dynatek? I searched eBay real quick and there are a few with prices all over the place, not sure the difference if any on them
If you want to do it right just contact dl700... daniel at high desert dyno. Pretty sure he sells them and he is the one that can set you up with a custom ignition curve that gives you even more power. If you find a deal elsewhere just make sure its the programmable one so that you can get the custom curve. Very worth while. Modded raptor has dynos of the ignition and with the custom curve if you are curious. I think they are back on page 4 or 5 :)

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
it reves smother from idle to redline and i now have trouble with my traction even on the street my tires come lose big improvement.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I have a question on 2009 and newer with speedo? I've been told that you'll loose the speedometer. Is this true? And do you loose the other functions as well?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts