Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVENT EVER HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THE SPEED SENSOR IN TILL I CAME TO THIS SITE BUT I WANT TO KNOW IS IT TRUE DO U NEED TO UNHOOK IT FOR IS THAT A THING ONLY FOR STOCK BIKE(CAUSE I HAVE A BIG GUN CDI BOX OVER REV) BUT IF SO EXACTLY WHERE IS IT AN DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE OR JUST UNHOOK IT.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
700 raptors have speed limiters, not our 660's

we have a rev limiter that most people will never find, most cases that has nothing to do with limiting your speed

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
John said:
700 raptors have speed limiters, not our 660's
yes it does, yamaha part number, 5LP-83755-00-00 SENSOR, SPEED for 01 thru 04
different part number for 05
It can be removed.
And Juice'y kill the caps lock, would ya

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what do u mean by no one knows what it does it should not stop u from topping out in fifth it only works in fifth but if u can show me a pick of where its at but all the pics i have seen the plug is under the seat on the left side where the harness opens up i will find the pic an post it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some of the pics from the another thread

This is the speed censor what it does is in 5th gear at somewhere around 7500 it starts de-rating your timing and ultimately governing your top speed.

Unplug that thing, it will not effect your computor or give any ill side effects to your bike.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is that a pic of a 700 or a 660?? I never saw that on my 660 man.

·
Registered
639 Posts
thats a 700

if i had to guess i would think that the speed sensor helps to adjust the ignition timing curve. not sure but that would be my guess. mine is plugged in and i can guarantee it doesnt speed limit the machine. at least not until 85 or 90 as that is the fastest i have had my quad, it feels unsafe after that.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
phucker, I agree, thats the most likely scenario, but if the stock cam gives up before then what would be the point. And how many individuals come to mind that have pulled it? If it was being used to control the timing wouldn't the guys that aren't using it have noticed? Or is there another input for controling the ignition curve.

John said:
i dont know about all this speed limiter on a 660
It does exist in all years.
Look in the online microfiche, in the electrical area, you'll see it.
The wheel it rides on is on of the last things installed on the counter shaft.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
John said:
i dont know about all this speed limiter on a 660
There is a sensor on all the bikes, what the heck it does I'm not sure but it doesn't necessarily have to act to reduce top speed.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I removed my last conclusion, it doesn't make sense to me anymore.... :lol:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Now I'm confused :3question: :'(

My bike will go faster top end that I'll ever care to so I guess I won't worry my little head about it. ;)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Maddog56 said:
Now I'm confused :3question: :'(

My bike will go faster top end that I'll ever care to so I guess I won't worry my little head about it. ;)
ME TOO!

this is the best I could find---denotes on bottom of page 5,
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h36.pdf

I'm moving onto a different thread,..my hea hurts now :banghead:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Maddog56 said:
Agreed, but I'm still curious as to it's function, maybe we could get to these speeds quicker.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its there an it works it retards the timing so bike will be more safe at top speed for the engines sake an the riders

1 - 20 of 20 Posts