1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For this installation you will need the following:

1 - Set of Spider Grips

1 - Grip Glue

1 - Possible Razor blade (I used strength to remove the old grips.)

2 - Terry Rags

1 - Cleaning agent to remove old residue from grips (I originally used hair products mousse,(hair spray, gel, etc.) and when it got warm the grips came right off, make sure that you use the proper bonding agent.)

Here are a few of the Spider Grips:

For more of a selection of the Spider Grips styles/colors click here and navigate:

http://spidergrips.com/

First start by making sure that your Quad is in an area with room to work around, with the Parking Brake on. To remove the OEM grips you have a few options, either grab a razor blade and carefully cut the OEM grip, without cutting the bars. Or do as I did by using strength and pulling them off (see pics below).

Me removing the grips by hand:

Grab the inner flange and pull (roll) towards you.

Keep going the grips WILL eventually come off.

Your like half way there.

Keep on pulling.

Really your almost there.

Finally its off, now do the other side, the same way.

Make sure that you use some sort of cleaning agent to clean (remove old grip glue/oils, etc) the bars before the new grips go on. Heres what I used, and it worked fine for me.

After your done with the cleaning agent, use some mild soap and water to make sure that any of the solvents from the cleaning agent is completely off so it does not have any sort of reaction with the grip glue or the new grips.

I used ThreeBond GripLock:

Follow the directions on the back of the package of the grip glue. I applied first to the bars liberally, and then to the inside of the grip as well. Then just slide the grip onto the bar, and make sure that you do not get any glue anywhere else, its not the easiest stuff to clean off, especially when it is fresh and smears everywhere. HINT: So when you goto slide on the grip make sure that your hands are clean.

Bar ends nice and clean:

Now install the new ones and your done. Heres some shots of the new grips.

I used the Spider Grips A3 style for my installation, but they do have others, you can navigate thru there main page which is http://spidergrips.com/index.html . I have already ridden with these grips on and these are very much more comfortable than the OEM's. I already got used to the flangeless design and now prefer these, and Spider Grips do have Flange type of grips as well. These grips reduce arm pump and they fell so much better than the OEM, get these grips, it is an inexpensive mod and your arms and hands will gladly thank you.

If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to PM or post up on this topic.

Enjoy the new grips and go ride!!!!!!!

Mr. C

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sikraptor700 said:
Nice write up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you sir.

;)

Mr. C

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Good review. Looking forward to more. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
nice grips look great too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I put a set of spider grips on after my first couple of rides.. The stock ones sucked.. The spiders are very comfortable.. I would recommend them..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Another great right up keep them coming? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone installed the ODI grips on the 700R? The stock handle bars seem to have a plug or something at the end. Do I drill it out or what? I can't get ODI to email me back nor can I find their phone number.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TXRaptor700R said:
Has anyone installed the ODI grips on the 700R? The stock handle bars seem to have a plug or something at the end. Do I drill it out or what? I can't get ODI to email me back nor can I find their phone number.
As far as I know, the encap on the bars are there to prevent water fom getting into the bars, so it will not rust. Do not remove them, leave them alone. Just clean the whole area and install the new grips.

Peace.
Mr. C

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mr. C

The ODI grips come with an endplug to keep the water out. The endplug can be either black or polished. These grips are great. You don't have the mess during the install or when replacing them. You need to try them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TXRaptor700R said:
Mr. C

The ODI grips come with an endplug to keep the water out. The endplug can be either black or polished. These grips are great. You don't have the mess during the install or when replacing them. You need to try them.
Yeah, I know, I already replied to your other post that you created.

---->>>>>> http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php/topic,4030.0.html

Thanks for clearing things up for us.
Mr. C

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dollar for Dollar the best mod I have made yet, Thx for the write up Cali :thumbsup:

etothen
700r
DR. D Pipe (slip on so far)
PC III
Pro Design /K&N intake
lidless
spider grips (wonderful improvement)
NGK Iridium CR8EIX Iridium plug
ITR sand star paddles

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
etothen said:
Dollar for Dollar the best mod I have made yet, Thx for the write up Cali :thumbsup:

etothen
700r
DR. D Pipe (slip on so far)
PC III
Pro Design /K&N intake
lidless
spider grips (wonderful improvement)
NGK Iridium CR8EIX Iridium plug
ITR sand star paddles
No problemo at all, sir.

:thumbsup:

Mr. C

·
Registered
610 Posts
:help:
I can't get my new grips on.
They go on about halfway and stop. I put the grip glue on the bar and in the grip and immediately attempted to slide the grip on, each one done separately. Tried twice, cleaning the bar as stated above each time. Any tricks? Heating the grips up maybe? I didn't see any way to contact Spider on their website, just their distributers :3question:

Thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts
Never mind, got it covered.
It started raining and I didn't want the right side getting rusty waiting for an answer so I brainstormed and poked a couple small holes in the end of each grip. They slid right on now that the air can escape and being rubber, you can't see where I poked the sharp pair of scissors through.
Don't know if this was the right way, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Mine did the same thing but if you kinda pulled the grip away from the bars some it would allow the Air to escape then slide the rest of the way on.

Your way works to lol :thumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bberck said:
Mine did the same thing but if you kinda pulled the grip away from the bars some it would allow the Air to escape then slide the rest of the way on.

Your way works to lol :thumbsup:
Exactly, the action of pushing it forcefully with having one hand on the end and the other guiding it on the flange or other end of the grips, and slightly wiggling it, should take care of the back pressure created by the grips being sealed and mated with the bars (mumbo jumbo, LOL).

Good thing you got em on!!! :thumbsup:

How you like them so far?

Peace.
Mr. C

1 - 20 of 37 Posts