Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission locked up and I'm now going to have to split the cases to see what going on. The question I have is do I have to remove the clutch to be able to split it or no? Also do I have to remove the stator?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Both the clutch and the stator need to come off. At least that's the way it was for the yfzs I tore apart. I can't imagine other Yamaha bottom ends being much different. I sure hope you have the service manual, bro.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
My transmission locked up and I'm now going to have to split the cases to see what going on. The question I have is do I have to remove the clutch to be able to split it or no? Also do I have to remove the stator?

Yes....on both ! Be sure to remove the speed sensor right up front, before you try to split the cases (lots of ppls forget this)....otherwise, you may destroy it trying to get the cases apart.....You will also need a flywheel puller.....obviously..... to pull the flywheel before you can split `em....lol.

I would reccommend you have a manual, so you will have all instructions and specs, tolerances and torque numbers for reassembly. It`s not difficult and the only "special" tool you need for this is the flywheel puller.....But, take your time....separate your parts by case halfs on a table or bench in somewhat the sequence you take them out.....keep stuff clean....Just some hints to help ya, I hope !

If you run into stuff you are in doubt over....keep asking questions !

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pretty much have to take everything apart:D Few bolts holing the case together on the clutch side most people over look, so don't beat on it with a hammer before checking everywhere!

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Pretty much have to take everything apart:D Few bolts holing the case together on the clutch side most people over look, so don't beat on it with a hammer before checking everywhere!

Yea....I should have told him this, also...lol....You will basically have the entire motor apart to get to the tranny.....There is no easy way to get there. The whole motor will pretty much be dis-assembled !

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm no master mechanic by any means but I rebuilt my fair share of two stroke motors working off of the manuals. I'm still debating tackling this tho. When taking the head off I don't have to do anything with the cam or valves correct?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm no master mechanic by any means but I rebuilt my fair share of two stroke motors working off of the manuals. I'm still debating tackling this tho. When taking the head off I don't have to do anything with the cam or valves correct?
No sir, just take off the cam gear.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I decided I'm just going to run wing nuts for everything on the motor to make it easier to take apart lol

Also a good time to do any other upgrades while its apart, might has well pull it all the way apart to make sure everything looks good to.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I decided I'm just going to run wing nuts for everything on the motor to make it easier to take apart lol

Also a good time to do any other upgrades while its apart, might has well pull it all the way apart to make sure everything looks good to.

Yup !......:D.....And I don`t think I`ve ever torn one apart when I haven`t missed a bolt and wondered why the damn thing wouldn`t come apart.....lol.....Be patient....look closely !

BYW....The taking apart is the easy half.....It`s putting it back together right that you want to be very careful with....lol.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's exactly what I was looking for. I've heard that different places but don't know how true it was. So I can just go in from the right side and never touch anything on the left ( stator, flywheel, etc.) Correct?

And as far as the cam gear goes I just have to pop that off to get the chain off correct?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
That's exactly what I was looking for. I've heard that different places but don't know how true it was. So I can just go in from the right side and never touch anything on the left ( stator, flywheel, etc.) Correct?

And as far as the cam gear goes I just have to pop that off to get the chain off correct?
Never really thought of going from the right side lol. If you're not going to take out the crank, just going from the right side makes sense.

And for the cam gear, just pop off the cam gear, and the chain is free to fall down into the case :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do I absolutely have to have a case splitting tool? Or will a rubber mallet and flathead screw drivers with a little persuasion do the trick? If not, is there anywhere I could rent one and any idea how much?
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
ive never used a splitting tool, there is little tabs hanging off the cases you can tap on. try not to pry with a screwdriver on a gasket surface. ive split em so many times i can dissassemble, fix, reassemble in an hour and a half. make sure u got a good impact

1 - 20 of 37 Posts