Raptor Forum banner

sprocket and chain question.

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Mad Dog 
#1 ·
i purchased a new chain and set of sprockets from a local shop.

the sprockets are from pbi, front is a 15t chromoly steel, what has me concerned is the rear, which is 39t 7062 aluminum. the new chain is a DID 520vm x 110l (is this the correct chain?)

before starting to put the parts on i want to know if the aluminum rear is a good idea, and anything else that i should be careful of while installing.

#3 ·
i do know the tq from the rappy will eat up the aluminum rear in a year
And that is a very optimistic assertion :) I installed aluminium sprockets at the beginning of summer and they are toast now. A little over 1000 miles done with them.

#4 ·
will the bike eat through all grades of alum just as bad, or are higher grade sprockets safer

this sprocket is

"manufactured from aircraft quality 7075 T651 plate aluminum"

lol

"harder than steel and far lighter to save on unsprung weight"

direct package quote

#5 ·
Hardness and resistance to wear are two things unfortunately. IMHO alum is good for non-moving parts. I'm sure different grades will wear differently, but it's still a soft metal..

#7 ·
Most rear sprockets are 7075, including the renthal one I have on the wall. Depends on how much you ride, and how attentive you are to proper chain tension but yes they will wear out somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 the time of a steel sprocket. Hold the two in your hand though and you can feel the difference in weight.

#13 · (Edited)
well im going to eat up this alum pbi rear ill keep you guys posted on how many hours i get out of it.

is there an online guide to installing a new chain? quick search gave me nothin

should the rear axle be set back to original position because of tightening the old chain, and what is the best way to remove links when you are getting the new chain down to the right length

edit: is there a set number of links to remove from a 110L chain

#18 ·
The only fix would be to add a second master link, I'm not particularly a fan of this method but I have run it and it will work. You just have 2 points in the chain now instead of one, though the master link itself is often considered the weak point of the chain.

That's a 100 dollar + chain, so I would understand if you didn't want to just chuck it in the garbage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.