Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in colorado and will be doing some trail riding and some track riding. What front and rear sizes should i use? I had seen a thread where someone sugested 15t front but what are the pro's and cons an what rear should be used in conjunction with this? I want to be fast and yet still want the tourqe to climb.... Im not good with calculations and gearing so please let me know. thanks in advance. Branden :thumbsup:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Couple things to note:

1) the 15 tooth thread was for the raptor 700, which has different stock gearing than a 660. A 15T for you would be SUPER tall since your stock front is 13t.

2) Many of those guys who have gone UP one tooth in the front, are at sea level, AND are running the 3 big mods for the 700, namely exhaust, intake, and fuel controller. Because your machine is not FI, you can really only achieve 2 of those 3 things anyway.

3) Your body weight will have some impact on what your ideal gearing is. Heavier people are going to want lower gearing, where light people can benefit from some taller gears.

Here is a little something I wrote to get people started on understanding their gearing. Make sure you use REALISTIC numbers on the calculator, since most bikes won't rev to 9 grand unless the clutch is pulled in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I counted mine last night and i have a 12 t on front and stock 40 on rear Ithink i may just keep the 12 and bump the back a few teeth.this thing pulls like a monster and i dont want to lose that..but thanks anyways

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd say if you are already running a 12t front, keep it the way it is or you will lose top end.

·
Registered
130 Posts
right now since you have a 1 tooth smaller front gear 12tooth, you have more torque and less top speed then stock. for every one tooth you go down in the rear, it's like going 3 teeth in the rear. So on tooth down, is going 3 tooth up in the rear and vise versa

here's the true question. When you are riding do you ever reach 5th gear? and if so, do you ever hit the rev limiter, or hit top speed? if not you have too high of a gear or just right. there will be no reason to try and increase your top speed if you never reach your top speed now. lowering your gearing will increase your torque and acceleration.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have heard of many ppl just keeping stock rear and either going 12 in front for trail or 14 in front for racing, anything more than 14 for top end would be stupid unless your bike had some basic motor mods :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
20" tires..stock bike 12 or 13 tooth, 12 for climbing
22" tires..stock bike 12 tooth

20" tires..stock motor..after M. exhaust.. 13 or 14 tooth, 13 for climbing
22" tires..stock motor..after M. exhaust.. 12 or 13 tooth, 12 for climbing

unless you have a internal mods to the motor don't graduate yourself to the 15 tooth. more than likely a 15 tooth will never be practical unless you have a stroker which changes your engines power characteristics (lower rpm, more torque). my opinion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts