Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been asked before but would it be a good idea to get a 12tooth front sprocket, im looking for more speed, without loosing anything, ive got a hmf slipon, and a pro design air filter. Thanks

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
What size rear tires do you have on the back, is the slipon the only mod you have that effects the hp rating,(beside the filter), and what type of riding do you do?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the tire size is 22x11x9 and yes the slipon is really the only mod that affects the Hp, i do trail riding

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
12 tooth might not be a bad idea with the 22" tires, its going to equal (almost) your original ratio of 13\40 with 20" tires on it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
am i getting more speed with my stock sprocket with a 22 inch tire

·
Registered
118 Posts
05rappy said:
am i getting more speed with my stock sprocket with a 22 inch tire
Yep, do a search on hear for a gearing calculator, lotsa good info.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Depends on what kind of riding your doing then, I change my 12, 13, 14 tooth sprocket depending on where I'm riding, Try a 12 tooth a see how you like it, you might use it in some places for lower gearing, for roughly $15 you can't go wrong to see how it fits into your riding style.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the calculator, ya i guess it couldnt be all that bad, all i do is trail riding, and like to compete with my friend that has a 350twin banshee, hes been pissed ever since i got a pipe, lol thanks for the info, ill try that and let yall know

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Don't go down. I have 22's and I ran it with the 12 it was almost back to stock. the 660 has so much torque it can pull them with stock gearing. You also are able to use first.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok i think ill take Desert Racers advice, but if anyone else thinks diff tell me. Thanks All

·
Registered
118 Posts
It all depends on where and how you ride. I put 22in mudlights on my rappy a week ago, and while i liked how just cruising it lowered my rpm, i missed the snap it had in third gear. I swapped to a 12 tooth yesterday and would rather have the 12 tooth where i ride, which is mostly trails with some mud in spring and fall. I have a slip on, proflo intake, k+n,matched intake boots,jetted etc. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i´ve got stock gearing and a set of 22" holeshots for trail riding and a set of 20" holeshots for racing, there actually is a difference (i love the top speed of the 22" and the acceleration of the 20"), but agree with all, rappys got so much torque that it wont be much of a difference. just my .02

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've heard many people say that a 16 won't fit with the chainguard and case saver on. You may need to think about just going smaller on the rear, instead of larger on the front. Or perhaps a combination of the two.

-SS

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
akawilliam said:
If looking for top speed should i go to a 16tooth front? Im interested in buying a 12tooth and 16 and change when needed.
SS is right, 16 won't fit without removing the chain guard. And 38 is the smallest you can go on the rear without clearance problems. 15 is still a tight fit on the front with the guard and probably won't fit with some aftermarket case savers.

In stock trim the raptor exceeds 70mph. If for some reason you need to go faster than that and have made the necessary safety improvements to stay rubber side down at those speeds then you can indeed go with a 16 front and 38 rear. Just remember that you need the power to pull gear ratios that high too, otherwise it'll take you a few miles to even get close to top speed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks maddog and others for the info!!!! Im interested in top speed for 1/8 mile drag strip and im also looking for a 1/4mile set up. I dont have alot money to spend on sprockets so I was choseing front one only for now.
I am stock with jet kit and full dmc exhust and k&n 20inch tires 40/13 I thought of buyng a 12tooth 40/12 for trail seems like you guys like them?????????

1 How would the raptor do with 40/15 set up?
2 Would i be able to top out within a 1/8mile? and quarter mile?
3 How would it pull with a 38/15 with my set up?

Im looking for 2 main set ups here for just front sprocket a good trail setup and a good drag set up.
If anyone could give me more advice that be nice and advice in the drag set up would be nice to here replys back to.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Bought the 12tooth front made by jp or maybe jp racing not sure it`s on oreder for 11bucks i was going to get the 15 but funds where to low after the rim and sprocket Im sure I will get the 15tooth very soon.

BTW What and how do i get the sprocket off? I use conventional ratchet and breaker bar but dont have a socket or wrench that big what size is it and do i need a special tool our a impact?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
32mm socket, don't need an impact.

Your goal is to get from the start line to the finish line in the fastest time, so you're looking to top out in the length of the track. If you gear to high you'll have a higher top speed but you won't be as fast from a-b.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I like mine with stock rear sprocket and 12 tooth front. I do a lot of hill climbing and trail riding and it works good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts