Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand aluminum is lighter and softer than steel. Weight savings is always a bonus, and being softer should equal less wear on the chain from dirt/grit etc... but how well do they really wear compared to steel sprockets? Is it worth it to get an aluminum sprocket to save the chain? The sprocket is cheaper than the chain. Will the softer aluminum save any wear n tear on tranny internals as well? I do alot of donuts and small jumps, frequently ride gravel roads etc... and I don't put around...I hammer the crap outta my bike... would I save money by getting the steel sprocket...not only by being cheaper, but buying less of them?
I know there are a lot of personal preferences to various materials parts are made from, but is there a smoking gun answer as to which type of sprocket I should buy?

·
Registered
197 Posts
+1 on this question

·
Registered
186 Posts
+2 on the question

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I have seen a lot of people on different forums swear by aluminum sprockets, but I will never run one. Saw a buddy snap off a half dozen teeth from his rear aluminum sprocket 20 minutes after he put it on. It was a drag quad, so it had fairly high HP (around 85 I believe), and plenty of traction....so that is harder on parts than a trail quad would be, but that was enough to convince me to run steel sprockets only.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I have aluminum on my 350, and a steel one on my 700. I am not worried about the 350 breaking teeth off. Its a bit more sketchy with the 700, so thats why I run steel. If you are a trail rider, get a steel one, it wont really have the possiblity to bend like alum. There is a major difference in weight also...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK..I can see your point of view and pretty much agree...BUT...is it not smart to have a part that is designed to fail so you don't trash other components? or will it just fail at a rate that won't be easy on my wallet?

(response to langford)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have aluminum on my 350, and a steel one on my 700. I am not worried about the 350 breaking teeth off. Its a bit more sketchy with the 700, so thats why I run steel. If you are a trail rider, get a steel one, it wont really have the possiblity to bend like alum. There is a major difference in weight also...
Cool, I guess if I were a professional racer with unlimited sponsorship funding I wouldn't care about trashing sprox... I think my question is satisfactorily answered. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.