Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm offically living in Michigan now and just got hooked up with internet earlier today. This past weekend myself and 2 other friends that also have carbed quads tried to help me fine tune my 660 Raptor and everything that we tried, we couldn't get the 1/8 to 1/4 spudder to go away.
Before I even started tuning the carbs this weekend I took my carbs completely apart and cleaned with copper wire 2 cans of engine cleaner and blew everything out with compressor along with all my extra pilots and mains in case I ended up switching to them while tuning.
If you rap on the throttle all the power is there. It really didn't make a difference on what pilots we tried 22.5, 25, 27.5 we couldn't get the spuddering to go away. When you slowly press on the throttle, it will spudder/bog all the way threw up to WOT. But if you just rap on it all power is there. We moved needles up and down, switched out pilots, moved fuel screws up and down, everything that we could possibly do to the carbs and couldn't figure it out. It got pretty frustrating and boring after playing with these carbs for several hours 3 days strait. I also took out all 3 sets of plugs and cleaned them while I was doing this.
I'm thinking that the carbs are cursed! Can someone please help me figure out what possibilities might be up with these dang things??

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I'm offically living in Michigan now and just got hooked up with internet earlier today. This past weekend myself and 2 other friends that also have carbed quads tried to help me fine tune my 660 Raptor and everything that we tried, we couldn't get the 1/8 to 1/4 spudder to go away.
Before I even started tuning the carbs this weekend I took my carbs completely apart and cleaned with copper wire 2 cans of engine cleaner and blew everything out with compressor along with all my extra pilots and mains in case I ended up switching to them while tuning.
If you rap on the throttle all the power is there. It really didn't make a difference on what pilots we tried 22.5, 25, 27.5 we couldn't get the spuddering to go away. When you slowly press on the throttle, it will spudder/bog all the way threw up to WOT. But if you just rap on it all power is there. We moved needles up and down, switched out pilots, moved fuel screws up and down, everything that we could possibly do to the carbs and couldn't figure it out. It got pretty frustrating and boring after playing with these carbs for several hours 3 days strait. I also took out all 3 sets of plugs and cleaned them while I was doing this.
I'm thinking that the carbs are cursed! Can someone please help me figure out what possibilities might be up with these dang this??
Are you using aftermarket needles.............

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have DG stage 2 needles. I've also tried putting the stock back in there and still getting the spuddering. All mods are in my sig

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yes, I have DG stage 2 needles. I've also tried putting the stock back in there and still getting the spuddering. All mods are in my sig
Install main jets, mikuni style of 160 to 165s, and see how it responds with the aftermarket needles needles half way up.........

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Install main jets, mikuni style of 160 to 165s, and see how it responds with the aftermarket needles needles half way up.........
I'll have to find a local dealer around here and see if they have them in stock. I do have DG 146/148 mains that I could throw in there and from what I've been told, DG is richer than mikuni.
I know that you are one of our Pros on here to go to for jetting, but I'm just wondering how changing the mains that has to do with the top end would be effecting the low end.
I left the Raptor over in my buddies garage so I'll ask him if he can try the DG 146/148 out for me tomorrow and get back with ya. Also I'll stop in at a dealer and see about picking up some mikuni's.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Try puttin your stock mixture screws back in and see if it changes. I had those extended ones in mine and it totally effected my idle. The tips were very different. I cant remember what brand they were tho.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try puttin your stock mixture screws back in and see if it changes. I had those extended ones in mine and it totally effected my idle. The tips were very different. I cant remember what brand they were tho.
Yeppers tried that as well... My buddy just got outta work and is going to throw the DG 146/148 mains in there and let me know.
I'm thinking that it's something abnormal that doesn't deal with fuel screws, mains, pilots or floats.

·
Registered
235 Posts
did the bike used to run ok before now? or did you change something and then now it runs like this? if so ,what did you work on?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never had it fine tuned after exhaust and stage 1 cam. I know that the timing is on point cuz I double and trip checked before I put it back together and then had it verified.
I just moved up from Tampa the other week. Before I had to trailer it to ride. So that I could get the most riding time in I'd just get it close to fine tuned and roll with it while I was down there cuz I'd only get to ride once a week for a few hours.
Now I'm out in the country up in Michigan so I can zip down the roads to see if it's tuned in or now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buddy just called and said the DG 146/148 didn't change anything on the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle spudder. I checked a local ATV dealer today and was out of mikuni mains that high so I'm going out a little further tomorrow and try to stock up on 160-180mains.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Buddy just called and said the DG 146/148 didn't change anything on the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle spudder. I checked a local ATV dealer today and was out of mikuni mains that high so I'm going out a little further tomorrow and try to stock up on 160-180mains.
I have no idea how these 148-148 DG compare to mikunis, so I cant help you there...........:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah if you go down in Mains, it just doesn't run right. 150/155 Mikuni mains everything is there at the top end but not the bottom. There's a few ATV dealerships at where I'll be going tomorrow so I'll see what's up after I pick up from bigger mains and keep bumping them up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
so did it run fine before you put the cam, etc in it? did it just start acting up after the swap? or later?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so did it run fine before you put the cam, etc in it? did it just start acting up after the swap? or later?
It's not really acting up just can't find out with the low end RPM's. I don't see how exhaust if proper jetting would cause this or a properly installed cam would for that matter. I'm going try find 160-180mains today and try that. If that does fix the low end spudder, then the issue is somewhere else.

·
Registered
235 Posts
mains arent going to fix anything in the low end. it sounds possibly rich in the midrange to me. lean the needle out and see if it gets better or worse.are you sure the diaphragms for the needles are good?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah make sure one of those diaphrams arent torn. It just sounds like a rich idle and mid range circuit, tho. Water in the gas would give that symptom, also.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If water is in the gas wouldn't it run funny on the top end as well? All the diaphrams are good. I picked up 160-180 mains today, I might have time tomorrow or Friday to test them out. It's just bottom end, not midrange. I have to give it more than normal gas to start out and as soon as you shift gears, it has no power and then rockets off.

·
Registered
235 Posts
if all you have is a cam,then i think all those jets youre getting should be way too rich...leaning the needle all the way from bottom to top should make a huge difference. if it doesnt, theres something weird going on .

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if all you have is a cam,then i think all those jets youre getting should be way too rich...leaning the needle all the way from bottom to top should make a huge difference. if it doesnt, theres something weird going on .
Yeah I've tried it all. Going up on mains and trying the needle at all positions "just like I did the with everything else" is all that I have left to try.

I'm new at all of this, but my 2 other buddies grew up with working on quads and other toys. One is a machinist and the other is a industrial mechanic, both very knowledgeable people and we just can't figure out why it's doing this!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yeah I've tried it all. Going up on mains and trying the needle at all positions "just like I did the with everything else" is all that I have left to try.

I'm new at all of this, but my 2 other buddies grew up with working on quads and other toys. One is a machinist and the other is a industrial mechanic, both very knowledgeable people and we just can't figure out why it's doing this!
So explain again what, exactly is it doing...........or not doing...........
and what all did you do to the bike when this problem started, what were the changes........

1 - 20 of 84 Posts