Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, New to the forum! Looking to Build the top end of my 2012 Raptor 700 with only 70hrs on it so that I’m able to reach between 75-80hp. Just not sure what total HP results I would see with a 11:1 cp piston VS a 14:1 cp piston. Bike already has Empire Industries Big 3. I will be adding the following. Staying stock bore and stroke!

Cuervo +2 Head
HD5050 Cam
54mm TB
ARP Head Studs
11:1 or 14:1 CP piston dependent on hp and tq #’s

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Definitely 14:1. I don’t think anyone would argue against that. If you’re goal is hp, maybe consider the 5150 or a webcam. The 5050 has good tq numbers but you can get better top end on other cams.
I have the 5050 tho and love it, def not knocking it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Definitely 14:1. I don’t think anyone would argue against that. If you’re goal is hp, maybe consider the 5150 or a webcam. The 5050 has good tq numbers but you can get better top end on other cams.
I have the 5050 tho and love it, def not knocking it.
Not looking to squeeze as much HP as I can out of it because I’m not looking to ride a grenade, I want to stay just under 80hp but no lower than 75hp

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
What kind of terrain are you mostly riding in? What type of air filter set up? FCI will help with the new set up. What type of fuel controller?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of terrain are you mostly riding in? What type of air filter set up? FCI will help with the new set up. What type of fuel controller?
Dirt Drag, and a little woods cruising
New intake will be 54mm intake kit
And I have the Dynatek Fusion

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well don’t take my word for it, call Daniel since you’re using his build already. He will get you to where you want to go.

He did a thread a while ago focusing on sssb build trying to squeeze everything he could out of it. I’m sure he realized where he crossed the line of reliability in the process somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
If you want to make at least 75 on stock bore you will need to go with the 14:1.
You’ll probably want a lockup clutch as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to make at least 75 on stock bore you will need to go with the 14:1.
You’ll probably want a lockup clutch as well.
I’ve seen ppl do it on pump gas. But, When I think about it it’s on bigger motors

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I’ve seen ppl do it on pump gas. But, When I think about it it’s on bigger motors
Much bigger motors. Not gonna happen on pump gas stock bore.
Unlikely to hit 80 even with high compression on stock bore unless you’re willing to buy some more expensive fuel. 75+ is totally do-able though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Much bigger motors. Not gonna happen on pump gas stock bore.
Unlikely to hit 80 even with high compression on stock bore unless you’re willing to buy some more sexpensive fuel. 75+ is totally do-able though.
So with the list of mods above and choosing a 14:1 over an 11:1 piston and running VP110 I should hit my target!!

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
So with the list of mods above and choosing a 14:1 over an 11:1 piston and running VP110 I should hit my target!!
Yes, that should be in the 75 ballpark. You could also consider an ethanol type fuel and get a little more power out of it for less cost. E85 seems to out perform 110 slightly, is cheap, and has the added bonus of running very cool: it can however be inconsistent at the pump.
My fuel of choice is vp c85. It’s similar to e85 but makes more power and is always consistent. But it costs a little more than vp110 at about $65/pail.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that should be in the 75 ballpark. You could also consider an ethanol type fuel and get a little more power out of it for less cost. E85 seems to out perform 110 slightly, is cheap, and has the added bonus of running very cool: it can however be inconsistent at the pump.
My fuel of choice is vp c85. It’s similar to e85 but makes more power and is always consistent. But it costs a little more than vp110 at about $65/pail.
Around here we’re paying $75 per pal for VP110 and any other fuels are special order plus freight

·
Registered
746 Posts
....just a thought.
Dirt Drags and Woods Trails are kind of two completely different types of builds.
My 450 is a built high compression, big bore, racer and it is an absolute blast to ride. Its my favorite ride at the track.
However, when we go trail riding, the person on that ride is always getting their arms pulled out with the excess torque and tires out much quicker because of it.
There is also the stall factor and reliability trade offs when going high compression, the 450 does NOT like to idle around, whereas my more stock 700 will trail around in 2nd or 3rd gear all day.
Not to rain on the horsepower parade - I'm all for more power. Just adding my two cents that the two concepts don't typically mix well.
However you end up, it sounds like you are on the right track to hit your power goals. Huzzah!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
....just a thought.
Dirt Drags and Woods Trails are kind of two completely different types of builds.
My 450 is a built high compression, big bore, racer and it is an absolute blast to ride. Its my favorite ride at the track.
However, when we go trail riding, the person on that ride is always getting their arms pulled out with the excess torque and tires out much quicker because of it.
There is also the stall factor and reliability trade offs when going high compression, the 450 does NOT like to idle around, whereas my more stock 700 will trail around in 2nd or 3rd gear all day.
Not to rain on the horsepower parade - I'm all for more power. Just adding my two cents that the two concepts don't typically mix well.
However you end up, it sounds like you are on the right track to hit your power goals. Huzzah!
Just trying to find a median and I feel as though 75ish hp is it for a 700. Have riddin with guys from 70 to 80hp with Raptor 700R’s and it seems to be the trail/dune median for those bikes

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Just trying to find a median and I feel as though 75ish hp is it for a 700. Have riddin with guys from 70 to 80hp with Raptor 700R’s and it seems to be the trail/dune median for those bikes
That’s a real good spot for a raptor to fit what you’re describing. My 734 was 82hp and totally trail rideable. Once I switched to an ethanol fuel, was always too hot on 110.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s a real good spot for a raptor to fit what you’re describing. My 734 was 82hp and totally trail rideable. Once I switched to an ethanol fuel, was always too hot on 110.
I’m riding with guys currently in the 70’s as far as HP currently, we’re all equal in the woods but when the trail opens up I’m getting gapped!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
A 70+ HP 11:1 or 11.5:1 motor is easily built to run pump gas. Going to 14:1 and race gas gets the 75+ HP range. Is it worth it for 5HP to buy race gas all the time? If you're racing for money, yes, go all out, but for a trail bike, 70 HP in the trails can be hard to handle for some.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A 70+ HP 11:1 or 11.5:1 motor is easily built to run pump gas. Going to 14:1 and race gas gets the 75+ HP range. Is it worth it for 5HP to buy race gas all the time? If you're racing for money, yes, go all out, but for a trail bike, 70 HP in the trails can be hard to handle for some.
Do you believe that with the build plans above I’ll be over 70HP running pump fuel? And remember it’s staying stock stroke and bore!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts