Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a gytr exhuast, gytr intake, and pcIII usb commander, but i was wondering if i put in a stage 1 cam, would i need a new fuel map or not???? I aslo need some more power but i do alot of trail riding so in the mean time until i bore it what should i do??? much help appreciated guys.

·
Registered
815 Posts
11:1 piston - - This is the FIRST thing i would recommend doing.... these bikes should have came with a 11:1 from the factory.... My bike runs SO MUCH SMOOTHER and better since i have installed the 11:1 piston...
I would do the 11:1 piston, THEN the cam.... and i suggest going with the stage III cam.... either go with the stage I or III... no reason to go for the stage II...
I would get the piston and the cam that you want, since you will have your motor open to install the piston - you might as well go ahead and install a cam....

Plattner

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You do this swap urself plattner?? I thought about this, just didnt know the difficulty of the swap since i havent tore into these motors yet

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
lowridin88 said:
You do this swap urself plattner?? I thought about this, just didnt know the difficulty of the swap since i havent tore into these motors yet
Cam... you really can't get to much easier :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Krandall said:
lowridin88 said:
Cool.. how about piston?? I have worked on car engines since i was about 12-14.. Just never tore into one of these

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so whats the total price about for the piston and cam, when you install dont you have to reset the timing, and what about a new fuel map for the swap? I love the bike it just needs a little more. . .

·
Registered
815 Posts
Doug - yea i did it all myself - I sent my head to Velociraptor (Bo White) for him to extreme PORT my head.... while he had it i had him install my HD springs.... and my stage II cam...
- Then he sent it all back, and i installed the 11:1 piston, and then the head...
- -I just sold my stage II cam tho, and installed the stage III cam just the other day.... installing the CAM wasnt hard at all....
- - when i installed all of this - nothing was really too bad.... the only time i had a problem was i didnt have a ring compressor (for the piston), so i had to like try to hold all the rings on tight around the piston , while at the same time i was sliding the piston into the cylinder....
- - I am still running stock bore.... i didnt go with the 105 mm bore... i am thinking about doing that this summer....

Plattner

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
lowridin88 said:
Krandall said:
lowridin88 said:
Cool.. how about piston?? I have worked on car engines since i was about 12-14.. Just never tore into one of these
I haven't PERSONALLY dug into my rappy yet either, BUT!!! I did just come of a fresh rebuild on an 87' Honda 250r. and we had a local shop do that for us as we didn't have the right tools for that piece. but we took the whole block there and it was done in 10 mins for us :thumbsup:

·
Registered
815 Posts
piston - $180
stage I, II, II cam - $190
(if you go with the stage II or III you have to have HD springs) = $200

you just have to adjust your valves after you install everything.... as long as you keep everything at Top Dead Center (TDC) you will be fine... no need to worry about timing....
- -yes you will need a new fuel map... if you buy the piston and cam from rocket factory, Jason will throw in a map for your mods... otherwise you will need to take your bike to a dyno, or buy a map from someone..

I suggest Rocket Factory or Sand Demon Motorsports.... i have had very good luck with Jason and Mike... They both know their shit...

Plattner

·
Registered
815 Posts
and those prices are a little high.... you should be able to get the stuff for less than those prices...
the piston should be around $160-180 and the cam anywhere from $150-200
but the HD springs are $200...
Definantly call Mike at Sand Demon motorsports.... hes a good guy... and also call Rocket factory... that way you can make them compete back and forth on price... ha ha (usually Mike is cheaper)
No problem man - anytime
Plattner

·
Registered
468 Posts
i got my hd springs for 160 and my piston was 125 cam is stage II for 170 i think good stuff and good deals

·
Registered
468 Posts
megacycle and cp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts