Raptor Forum banner

Do yall think the Hot Cams are worth it?

• Keep The Stock Cam

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you run the hotcams with hd springs you'll lose a lil power thats why they are not recommended or advertised with the cam. I also dont think it would be a fair comparison between the stage 2 and the web cam. JMHO

·
Registered
332 Posts
But even on there site, hotcams are telling that stage 2 need and springs also.Does it combine well with 11:1 piston, because that i have seen that you haven't even used any. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Ok guys got a few questions.

So whats the finally verdict on the HOT CAMS Stage 2. GOOD or BAD. Springs or no springs. Another question, can you put these cams on with just stock piston w/big 3 done. Just wonder. Sooner or later I would like to drop in a 11:1 piston and get little P&P done. Thanks guys -- WOODY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not sure if they are good or bad yet. No need for springs. And you could put it in with the 3 mods done if you wanted to.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has anyone tested the web cams vs. the Hotcams on the exact same bike and posted the runs? Chances are no.

I have come a long way with the 660's and we had the exact same things there. Everyone was web this and web that and that Hotcams where crappy, until Coalshed tested the different cams on the exact same bike and the Hotcams came out best. The webs made a tad more power, like 1 HP or so, but it was right at the top end of the RPM range, while the hotcam made much better power from low and midrange.

So, when you look at peak HP numbers, then yes Webcams made more, but overall, the hotcams was better, because it gave you much better low down torque and a smoother mid range.

Stop looking at the damn peak power output. Peak HP is not what wins races. Overall power does. It’s no use having all the power at the top and the bike is crappy low down.

Also, looking at the Hotcams dyno runs on their web site, I would personally use the stage 1 cam if I do mostly trails and the stage two if you are a racer and need all the power at the top end.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Freez said:
Has anyone tested the web cams vs. the Hotcams on the exact same bike and posted the runs? Chances are no.

I have come a long way with the 660's and we had the exact same things there. Everyone was web this and web that and that Hotcams where crappy, until Coalshed tested the different cams on the exact same bike and the Hotcams came out best. The webs made a tad more power, like 1 HP or so, but it was right at the top end of the RPM range, while the hotcam made much better power from low and midrange.

So, when you look at peak HP numbers, then yes Webcams made more, but overall, the hotcams was better, because it gave you much better low down torque and a smoother mid range.

Stop looking at the damn peak power output. Peak HP is not what wins races. Overall power does. It’s no use having all the power at the top and the bike is crappy low down.

Also, looking at the Hotcams dyno runs on their web site, I would personally use the stage 1 cam if I do mostly trails and the stage two if you are a racer and need all the power at the top end.
good post freez.... i dont think hc used any type of fuel enrichment on these dyno tests .. with a good map curves can change a lot .... personally i dont think a stage 2 is overcamming on this engine ... most "area under the curve" on a dynoprint is what counts in a race :thumbsup: .. i bought a stage 2 too now .. with my 11:1 and a mild porting this could be nice :grin_nod:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Freez said:

Yeah I remember when I first started talking about hotcams because they were about to release stage 1 and 2 within a couple weeks. Lots of people said whats all the hype for .. whats so good about hotcams. Saying that and the thing didnt even come out yet. Now I hope you guys see. I wish I would have stayed with my first instinct and get stage 2 hotcams but Im satisfied with my web.

·
Registered
242 Posts
W69DY said:
Ok guys got a few questions.

So whats the finally verdict on the HOT CAMS Stage 2. GOOD or BAD. Springs or no springs. Another question, can you put these cams on with just stock piston w/big 3 done. Just wonder. Sooner or later I would like to drop in a 11:1 piston and get little P&P done. Thanks guys -- WOODY
Not so much the final verdict, but I'll say what I've stated before I like the cam and I would use with any mods depending on what your trying to accomplish. I didnt install springs with the stage 2, I didnt even realize that it might be recommended, infact hotcams never mentioned that to me, but oh well. I like the cam and I personally think that it would compliment the big three with the addition of a higher compression piston or even without. Its a nice addition at a smoking deal and a new cam to boot. JMHO!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Wheres the best place to get some Hot Cams stage 1 or 2 cams at. Also if you change out the cams, do u need a new map. Im thinking yes but dont really know. thanks WOODY

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have found nice deals on e-bay and moto-man.com, but ask also the sponsors, i think they will help you.
Is there somethink else you have to replase to install the stage 2 or is exacly the same like stage 1? Is it only for drag or do you suggest it for trail also? thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Last question. Will I be able to hit the rev limter with the 15t sprocket with the mods in sig plus 11:1 and HC Stage 2?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
yes, dont listen to him. i put a j&e 12.5 to 1 piston in mine with a stage 2 hotcam. and wow, this thing is a frakin animal now. and i ran it on 91 pump gas to. not one problem at all.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts