Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2003 660r that i had work done to before i learned how to do this kind of work myself. I was having top end problems which led to engine failure so i had to take apart the top end of my bike. I finally have all the parts i need to put the bike back together again but i need a little help when it comes to the timing for the stage 2 hot-cam. The guy i had built my engine for me told me that he had to retard the timing in order for the cam to operate at its full potential. I was reading the manual and it told me that the cam would be timed with the oil holes facing up and the piston at top dead center. The manual also told me that i can also go by the pin hole on the cam sprocket the only problem is that the guy didn't put the cam sprocket and cam together the way the manual has it set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused::p

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
The guy is wrong, put it back together as the manual and dog86 stated with the standard/stock timing.

The cam gear only goes on two ways, correctly and 180 degrees out aka upside down. If he didn't put it together correctly, unbolt the 2 bolts in the face of the gear and put it on rightside up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i put it together. But i think i am going to have to take it back apart because i forgot to free the piston up in the cylinder i put everything else back together like the manual says and torqued everything down to the manuals specs nothing is overtightened i don't think my friend adjusted the valves for me but i was looking at them and they have some type of play in them. By the way does anyone have the valve lash specs for the valves i had the little piece of paper that came with the cam but i lost it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy is wrong, put it back together as the manual and dog86 stated with the standard/stock timing.

The cam gear only goes on two ways, correctly and 180 degrees out aka upside down. If he didn't put it together correctly, unbolt the 2 bolts in the face of the gear and put it on rightside up.
That is what i don't get how can you put it in upside down . I know you can go by the three rivet holes in the cam gear and the two oil holes on the outer lobes of the cam. But i don't think the guy put that together wrong because it wouldn't have ran right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
that would be a lot of work imo. I think you could just make sure the marks line up on the flywheel and the cover, then line up the cam gear.
Hey man i have a little problem. I am working on my bike as we speak im coming in and out of the house checking with the forum. But i had my engine together twice and it still doesn't want to turn over. At first i thought it was my piston tight in the cylinder but that is not the problem its something im doing. Its something right in between me putting the tensior and valve cover on does it matter which order i put those two parts on or could it be my compression release. I checked the compression release levers before i put the cam in but it was a while ago (after i took the engine apart for the first time they were working properly then. But i never took the cam sprocket and cam shaft apart.:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys i got my bike running again runs pretty good thanks allot for the help. Hey does anyone know if its necessary to change the tens-ionizer if i am using the same stuff from before still need allot of parts so i wont be riding it for a while any advice will be appreciated thanks. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
The tensioner isn't a wear item, it's designed to be used over and over again. My 03 has the stock tensioner in it still after many rebuilds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright so im in okay shape. Still need alot of parts my bike needs some tlc. Has anyone ever put a stroker rod in one of these engines if so how does it run and does the engine hold up.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Lots of people have put stroker kits in them. I don't really think that anyone will tell you they have had problems with a stroker kit. Obviously there will be a few that do extreme stuff but problems come up if you take it too far. If you get a stroker the hotrods crank is a very good option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is the type of crank i have in my engine now but i think the rod is the stock length. ( I think) Do you know if the parts comes with a stroker crank if so i guess i already have a stroker engine but i know that my piston is stock displacment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts