Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock motor currently running with an HMF Comp Series Exhaust. Thinking about cams will stage 2 make a difference? is that ok to put on a stock motor?

·
Registered
521 Posts
according to their site and what ive read, stage 2 needs new valve springs too, stage 1 uses stock springs.
but itll definately make a difference

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
It will make a difference, but it works a lot better when paired with a higher compression piston. The stage 2 is more biased towards the mid and upper rpm range power. I have not experience a stage 2 on a stock engine, only a stage 1. But it is my understanding that from those who have they felt as though the off idle and low end power was lacking. Now whether that's in relation to the new found top end power or a loss from stock I am uncertain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will make a difference, but it works a lot better when paired with a higher compression piston.
What all has to be done to the motor to go to a higher compression piston? aka can I just drop in say an 11:1 wiseco piston and do the stage 2 or will i need to do additional mods to be able to put the piston in.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
You should be fine with a 11:1. You dont want to go over that unless you upgrade the conecting rod.

What year is your raptor or how many hrs are on it. It might be worth getting a 100.5 or 101mm piston and have the cylinder bored to bring it back in spec if it has a bunch of hrs on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is an 03 raptor. I honestly dont know how many hours are on it total though I think it has quite a few so getting a bore is probably not a bad idea. That will have to wait until after the first dune trip of the year in 3 weeks.

Regardless I think 11:1 is the most I want to go right now anyway.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just do a stage 2 or even a stage 1 will b a noticeable upgrade n drop n a hotrods connecting rod and 11.1 piston

·
Registered
521 Posts
if you do a bore on it too, might as well go for the stage 3

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I disagree, bigger is not always better and I don't like the curve of the stage 3 for a stock head, carbs and small bore/stock stroke.

The stage 2 hotcam is an excellent all rounder when combined with a pump gas piston.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
It is an 03 raptor. I honestly dont know how many hours are on it total though I think it has quite a few so getting a bore is probably not a bad idea. That will have to wait until after the first dune trip of the year in 3 weeks.

Regardless I think 11:1 is the most I want to go right now anyway.
You just as well wait on the stage 2 cam shaft. You have to pull the head off to have the valve springs installed. It is another 6 bolts and the cylinder comes right off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On this raptor I have an HMF Comp series full exhaust with everything else stock.

I plan to take the motor apart this weekend regardless to cha\eck valve clearance and the condition of the motor anyway. Is there any thing specific to look for in the cylinder that would be a clear indication for needing a bore?

After investigation I can decide mor easily about the cylinder and possible bore. I think I will be going with stage two cams regardless. Mid and high is just what I need some more of.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
you just have to have it measured with a bore dial gauge. Measure it in multiple places to see if the bore is true or egg shaped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once I do that I think my decision will be much easier. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot13 View Post
I disagree, bigger is not always better and I don't like the curve of the stage 3 for a stock head, carbs and small bore/stock stroke.

i totally agree.when the 400ex came out 440 kits soon followed,when is itever gonna be big enough.450s do it with less.A properly set up 660 can make major hp.a bigger bore may add a bit of lowend grunt or 2hp but not as much as a good port job.everything has to work in unison,each part has to complement the other.Dont expect to have huge gains dropping "stage 2 or 3" cam in a stock biased motor>It doesnt work that way.being old school i like to start with compression.Thats where you start making power on a 4 stroke.These bigger tyopend cams have more valve overlap so your gonna need higher compression to get back some of the lowend you'll lose with these cams.sorry for the rumbling,just hate to see people spend money on stuff they dont need cuz it was "hyped" on ebay.educate yourselves first

1 - 15 of 15 Posts