Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to buy a stage 3 hotcams cam for my 02 660 raptor. It says it's designed for the stock springs. It also says its for big bore and stroker motors. Is this cam better than the stage 2?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
It's more aggressive than the stage 2 hotcam.

You will need new valve springs for this camshaft. Not sure where you read that it used stock springs, here is a quote from their own web page:

Stage 3: single-cam motor. Specifically designed for Hot Rods big bore/stroker kit. Not for stock displacement. Requires Hot Cams valve spring kit part number SKYFM660S2. Uses stock auto-decompression mechanism.
What else do you have done to the motor and what type of riding do you do/want to do with the build?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually ride trails.. Sometimes in the sand at an old gravel pit. It was right in the auction where I read it didn't need springs. Stage 2 needs new springs also right? I have an HMF pipe with 14-40 gearing. I've got an 11:1 high comp wiseco piston bored .020 over or .5mm making the piston size 100.5 mm.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Both stage 2 and 3 require upgraded valve springs.

I think you'll be happier with the stage 2.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn =\ Well I was hopin one or the other didn't need them because I really don't have the money to spend on valve springs. I've got brand new stockers but those prolly aren't stiff enough. Would it be bad if I didn't get different springs? Is the stage 1 that much difference over the stocker?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Dude-throw a stge3 in a your bike without a hc piston and don't expect any power on the bottom end, or for that matter the midrange..the hc piston will help recover some of that, but you'll basically have to rape the motor to get any power out of it. all your power will be around 7500-9000 rpm You'll have a very peaky "very narrow" power band.
Like MD said stick with the stage 2, and honestly for the ridng it looks like you do, I would go for the stage 1, and save out on buying the spring kit. Get a trail port job with that extra money left over.
Hmf pipes are more midrange orientated pipes anyways, so it would fit great into your combo.
IMO
If your looking at further modding it down the road then get the stage 2 cam and spring kit because it will be needed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well right now I'm out of a job. I'm 16 and my dad is paying for this. When I originally blew up my motor the cam journals on the head were too scored along with the cam. If it was up to me and if it was my money I'd go straight to the stage II with the spring kit. Looks like I'll have to opt for the stage I though. Later down the road this summer I will be working for the guy I take my truck to. He owns the shop portion at a dealership and he wants me to do light mechanical on vehicles and all the atv's. I know what I'm doing when it comes to both but vehicles are alot more expensive and I don't want to fuck anything up lol. Anyways I'll just wait it out til this summer before I start modding it too much. Thanx I'll be ordering the stage I right now.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
668rap said:
Well right now I'm out of a job. I'm 16 and my dad is paying for this. When I originally blew up my motor the cam journals on the head were too scored along with the cam. If it was up to me and if it was my money I'd go straight to the stage II with the spring kit. Looks like I'll have to opt for the stage I though. Later down the road this summer I will be working for the guy I take my truck to. He owns the shop portion at a dealership and he wants me to do light mechanical on vehicles and all the atv's. I know what I'm doing when it comes to both but vehicles are alot more expensive and I don't want to fuck anything up lol. Anyways I'll just wait it out til this summer before I start modding it too much. Thanx I'll be ordering the stage I right now.
Tell him you need the Stage 2, but it requires the spring kit. What daddy doesn't know won't hurt him...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
saml said:
during what rpms do you get the power with a stage 2 cam
Rode mine over the weekend, 11:1 stg2, there is a small loss of lowend but it's barely noticable. There is a point where the cam does come alive, at about mid throttle and it makes power till wide open. A good wide power band and very rideable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rode mine over the weekend, 11:1 stg2, there is a small loss of lowend but it's barely noticable. There is a point where the cam does come alive, at about mid throttle and it makes power till wide open. A good wide power band and very rideable.
[/quote]

thanks for the info sounds like ill be ordering my stage 2 tonight thanks SAML

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DECEPTiON21 said:
668rap said:
Tell him you need the Stage 2, but it requires the spring kit. What daddy doesn't know won't hurt him...
I tried... My dad was looking at some stuff and stopped by hotcamsinc.com and saw that the stage II needs the springs kit that is just as much as the cam itself. He said no right away =\

Oh well the stage I is on it's way along with a new cylinder head and valve cover.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
at least you got an upgrade and not an OEM replacement

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup. I am excited for that part of it. Is the stage I that much of a difference over stock?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts